House music on the playa...

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2019 playa projects here.
doctorclod
Burning Since: 2019

House music on the playa...

Post by doctorclod » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm

House music DJ. London based. Looking to spin some tracks on the playa. Hit me up if keen.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: House music on the playa...

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:06 pm

I'll just give you a very honest heads-up: the running joke is that everyone on the playa is a DJ of some sort, and it's reached "running joke" status because you will never meet more DJs concentrated in one place. There are multiple threads on ePlaya about possible ways to get to spin, but posting here is definitely not one of them. I'd start networking with the English regional groups, and see if you find a camp that you fit with & go from there.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Throw in swinging a dead cat...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm

First Burn, huh? Which type of DJing skills do you bring? Is it the kind with one hand to the side of the head, as if listening to sonar in a hunted wolf pack sub, while thrusting the other hand in the air with an extended index finger, while electronics play pre-recorded sounds? That's my very favorite kind. As an aside. You got a ticket? Can you work an impact driver? How are your propane stove cooking skills? Can you spin some LNT?

Good luck.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Being a DJ has become so embarassing at BM that people don't even say, 'I'm a DJ', anymore. Hard to find someone who isn't. Musicians are greatly appreciated.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:37 pm

House is an immensely broad style. Large sound camps are homed at the very edge of 2 and 10 - you can look up last year on the detailed moop map, then contact them. There are past year major camp DJ lists. Search, we will not search for you. Your best bet is your regional, they are much more connected than ePlaya.

Rephrasing some other comments, you may think DJing is a gift. But the dust equalizes most DJing to just being there and often plainly annoying. Have you ever been irritated that another DJ was playing over you? That's >90% at Burning Man. Sometimes economically successful DJs play, but they are recruited to play by personal connections. I would put the DJ population at over 20,000 so your ratio is 1/20000.

Also the decommodification principle prohibits you promoting that you played at Burning Man, so why do it? Just enjoy the event!

Hey see you just joined ePlaya! Do you know about viewforum.php?f=95? That would be a great spot to chat about yourself, creative projects, how you heard about the event and why you would like to visit.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:27 am

doctorclod wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm
House music DJ. London based. Looking to spin some tracks on the playa. Hit me up if keen.
Welcome Doctorclod. The above posts are very real. It seems that anyone and everyone who can't play a guitar is a (famous) DJ at Burning Man. As others have suggested, come to the desert and see what it's all about. If you have some charisma, you might get to join a large sound group and get to do some DJ'ing while there. (do they still spin records or is there something new?)

This year I hope to bring an old 8-track portable tape player so I can entertain with some pre-mixed music from the 70's. Now THAT was music!! :D

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:51 am

This year I hope to bring an old 8-track portable tape player so I can entertain with some pre-mixed music from the 70's. Now THAT was music!! :D

What, like Lawrence Welk and Pat Boone stuff?
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:07 am

mgb327 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:51 am

What, like Lawrence Welk and Pat Boone stuff?
I'm thinking Peter, Paul and Mary and the Kingston Trio on the endless loops.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Don’t listen to the naysayers. They know NOTHING!

Bring all your stacks, gear, generators and a canopy, set up by any of the many Porto-potty rows, and groove a morning set for all the masses turtling their morning glory as they treck from their camps.

You will be legendary!

Return to “Art & Performance”