People Seeking Camps 2019

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2019.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

People Seeking Camps 2019

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am

For those who are new to the community and not sure how to proceed, I strongly suggest that you take the initiative and try to find your own camp. We all understand that getting to Burning Man, especially in that very first year, can be really hard. When you read about Burning Man and the Ten Principles, one of them is radical self reliance. Sure, there are lots of ways to read or interpret that, but in a nutshell you will call upon yourself to figure out a lot of ridiculous stuff ("the rainbow tutu, or the bee costume?") and do more than you might have ever thought you could. You might have already hit that milestone - but out of all the crazy stuff you have to figure out for Burning Man, figuring out your camp isn't that hard. You have three basic options:
  1. You can camp by yourself! You all by yourself, or you and your group of however many friends, can go camping and survive and have a great Burning Man experience. Thousands of burners do just that every year, and they have an amazing burn.
  2. You can start your own camp! It doesn't have to be a theme camp, or your theme could be any shared interest ("Naked Margarita Camp" is just one of a billion ideas to choose from). Sure, some camps work all year to build their stuff, but you can come up with an idea in no time and invite other like-minded people to join you.
  3. You can join somebody else's camp! The best reason to join another camp is because 'holy crap they sound awesome and I want to be a part of that!' but you may also have reservations about doing #1 or #2. If it's your first time out there, one of the best ways to learn about doing things is to join another camp and get involved and learn from them...or any number of other totally valid reasons. So don't feel bad about having a strong desire to be part of a larger group.
If you're looking at joining a camp, there are two main ways to go about it. The radically self reliant approach would be to take a look at the camps out there and find something that resonates with you, and then reach out to that group. You're going to find information about camps in two main places. First is the message board you're on right now... ePlaya. Early in the season the pickings may seem pretty slim, but as camps start to figure out what they're planning for 2019 they'll start posting about it. Look through the threads, and if something jumps out at you as cool, exciting, or fun... then post a reply. Or better yet, click on the PM button next to the thread starter's message to send them a private message. At this late stage of the game, many camps and camp leaders aren't checking the boards that regularly, so sending a private message to express your interest sends them a notification, an typically gets a faster response. The other place to find a list of camps is the partial list of 2018 theme camps. It has a list of all the camps who filled out placement questionnaires and chose to make their information public. Holy crap, that list is huge, and it's exhaustive to read it all, but it's also a lot of fun to see what people build and bring to Burning Man. Sometime in May/June a similar list will likely be posted for the 2019 event, but last year's list can be a good place to start. Find something interesting, then fire up an internet search engine and find that camp. Many have web sites or Facebook pages or some kind of internet presence. If they don't, that's probably a strong sign that they're not recruiting for new members anyways - but if you can find them you can reach out to ask. Tell them how you discovered them, and why you're interested and ask if they're planning to return in 2019 and would be willing to consider having you join. Speaking personally as a person who organizes a camp, a camp leader is more likely to be moved by someone with a genuine interest rather than a generic post.

Failing the above, yeah you can post a 'Seeking Camp' post, but to some it suggest that you may be lacking in initiative or radical self reliance... which is probably not your intention. It is understandable though - you may be new, or your plans may have fallen through, or it all just seems too overwhelming. Take a moment, maybe even two, a couple deep breaths, and go. You can do this.

Mod Note: anyone feeling the need to post their own plea in hopes of a camp seeking them out and adopting them... should post it here. Camps that would like to respond to posters in this board should do so by using the private message or email button under the poster's name - don't post camp adverts or responses here as they will be removed.

British Henry
Burning Since: 2010

Re: People Seeking Camps 2019

Post by British Henry » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm

:shock: Really?! The first to post on here!! Well we’re truly honoured. :D

Returning after 7yr break and bringing my partner along for her first time to share her amazing energy with the Playa too.

We’d love to join an active camp, people facing (we’re both high energy and mischievous Brits) maybe a fun bar or a back stage at a dance arena / show perhaps.

A smaller intimate community would be better for us rather than a huge camp.

We’re both really resourceful doers, team managers, event coordination type stuff.
I’m an electrician, mechanic, general handyman and full of crap jokes!

Love dancing with fire and learning to spin. We’re always open to new and love to give.

Hook us up ePlaya xx

Hen & Em
Burning Man - I'm Henry / Hen @ Burning Man - Burning Hen = Roast Chicken!

justanothercrap
Burning Since: 2019

Post by justanothercrap » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 am

Hi,

A Virgin burner here going solo this year. I think joining a theme camp is an easy way for a solo virgin burner to integrate into the spirit without getting overwhelmed by logistics.
I am 31 m, originally from India but been living in the US for a decade now.
Will be traveling from NC.

Some of the things I am looking for is basic necessities- shower, shade, one meal a day, toilet.

I am enthusiastic and willing to be a part of a group project and would love to be an active member of the community.

Thanks!

beheavilymeditated

Post by beheavilymeditated » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:19 am

We are virgins and would like to join a camp, as we want to experience the fullness of BM, including volunteering and giving back to a community as gifting.

We are 48 & 53 and my husband had 2 strokes this year, hence our reason to escalate our attendance plans. We always wanted to come, but now it feels necessary. We have been minimalist Vanlifers for two years (any vanlife/minimalist WOL camps out there?) We gave away all of our lifelong belongings to our kids and Goodwill, packed up a van, and now live in it pretty much full time (other than staying with our kids after my husband's second stroke). I make beautiful jewelry, including healing-based '#metoo' bracelets as a way to help healing in my fellow childhood abuse survivors. I am also making a whole bunch to bring to BM to gift to others. I am also a writer and digital strategist/web designer. My husband is a licensed and journeyman plumber and gas fitter, so I feel like we have lots to offer to a community.

I want to disclose that we ARE worried about the ticketing process after reading about how hard it is to get tickets to BM. As minimalists, we obviously can't afford the pre-sale tickets, and won't be able to afford secondary market tickets given their price markup. But, I want to assure that this isn't the sole reason for us joining a camp, either. In fact, I'm not sure joining a camp even results in a chance to purchase a ticket. We really just want to have a full experience of the Burning Man culture, and I feel like sitting on the outskirts of the City won't really give us that.

So if anyone knows of any camps looking for older, seasoned, tattooed, van living, creative, tradesmen virgin Burners, please message me! :D
Hopefully a First Time Burner This Year - If I prevail at a ticket purchase!

solidarytom

Post by solidarytom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi everyone!!
I´ll be going with 4 friends, all first time burners and all from Argentina!
We´d love to join an interesting camp with some good vibes to exchange our different cultures. We know a lot about football (or socccer as US usually calls it), about "asados" or argentinian barbeques, some own a cine and commercial agency, other is a lawyer, i´m at corporate affair... but most importantly we are all good people with good intentions.
Love to hear from someone who thinks we could add value to their camp!
Cheers,
Tom

JacklineN

Post by JacklineN » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:03 am

Hello burners

A mixed group of 6 based in London ( but not from London) lucky enough to have secured tickets to BRC 2019 and looking for a camp to join . We are super adventurous , outgoing , organised and hedonistic crew . We promise to bring plenty laughs, great energy , participate and cultivate new friendships ( essentially like every burner ) .

If you have potential space in your camp let me know and we are happy to tell you more about ourselves and jump with various hoops ;)

100% satisfaction guarantee.

AlvaroMaruganHernandez
Burning Since: 2016

Post by AlvaroMaruganHernandez » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 am

Hi from Spain!

We are a group of 10 Spaniards looking for a camp where live a real Burning Man experience. There is only one in our group who had gone before and he told us the best option to understand and live the Black Rock City philosophy is to join a camp to experience the real community and sharing culture. We have some ideas to share with you in order to give something to the community but we are flexible if you have everything settle and prefer that we contribute with the camp activities.

If it fits we could give you more info like how much tends and vehicles we are planning to bring with us.

Thank you so much and hopefully we could share space, culture and good moments together!

🌟

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:30 am

Welcome AlvaroMaruganHernandez. May I call you AlvaroMaruganHernandez?
With 10 of you coming to Burning Man, you practically have a camp all put together already. Strictly from a money standpoint, you could buy all your tents, stoves, supplies and food and still have enough left over for your flights from Spain.

Most people camp in the open camping area and form strong friendships with others in the same area. You will have an informal camp with 100 people all sharing meals, shade and fun times.

I hope you took some time to read up on the First Timer's Guide and the Survival Guide in my signature below.

Good luck with your plans and I hope to see you and your friends in 4 months. :-)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Adding to Mr Trilobyte's suggestion...

Your Regional Burning Man Group is the best resource for finding a camp.

What is a Regional you may ask?

If you search the burningman.org website you can find all about Regionals. Reach out to the nearest one to you and make friends! Then ask them about camps and preparation. You can even ask them in person, face-to-face!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Rita34

Looking for a Fun Camp - First Burning Man Experience

Post by Rita34 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 am

Hello,

We are two friends, and we are looking for a fun camp.
It will be our first time as burners and want it to be memorable:)

Sham

Re: Looking for a Fun Camp - First Burning Man Experience

Post by Sham » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Rita34 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 am
Hello,

We are two friends, and we are looking for a fun camp.
It will be our first time as burners and want it to be memorable:)
Hi Rita. Welcome to eplaya. Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you and your friend from and what makes you tick? What inspired you to come to Burning Man?
I hope you read up on the guides in my signature below.
Good luck with all your preparations.
See you in the dust.....

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Hi Rita,

Welcome to eplaya and good job for getting started early on your planning! Make sure to do your homework. There's a lot of required reading and preparation for this event. Please take the time and become familiar with it all!

Where are you from? Your best chance for a meaningful experience is to find an established group near you so you can fully participate leading up to and during the event. There's lots of resources out there to find them.

You know you don't really need a camp for a memorable experience. I'm camping solo with my brother this year. Don't need no stinkin' camp. I've got everything I need to THRIVE in the desert on my own. We always find awesome groups of neighbors and it's instant community!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Alright,...spill the beans! What planet are you from? How did you learn English? No, Bob Denver was not really stuck on that island! Stop watching that rot!

See what happens when you leave us to our imaginations!! :)

Hehe. Welcome to ePlaya!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:11 pm

Moderator's note: Anyone posting in Greeter's Station who has "looking for a camp" in their topic title gets their post and all replies moved to this forum. Thank you.

flangipants
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: The Camp With No Name

Post by flangipants » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Need a new home? The Camp With No Name is a 24-hour dive bar located around C&745 and we're looking for veteran burners to join us. Like drinking cold beer? Like serving cider to the masses? Got a workshop you want to run or a DJ set? Come learn more about us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/340397416356816
British Henry wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm
:shock: Really?! The first to post on here!! Well we’re truly honoured. :D

Returning after 7yr break and bringing my partner along for her first time to share her amazing energy with the Playa too.

We’d love to join an active camp, people facing (we’re both high energy and mischievous Brits) maybe a fun bar or a back stage at a dance arena / show perhaps.

A smaller intimate community would be better for us rather than a huge camp.

We’re both really resourceful doers, team managers, event coordination type stuff.
I’m an electrician, mechanic, general handyman and full of crap jokes!

Love dancing with fire and learning to spin. We’re always open to new and love to give.

Hook us up ePlaya xx

Hen & Em

martaalvp

Seeking Camps 2019

Post by martaalvp » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 am

Hi!
My boyfriend and I are looking to join a camp! We are burgins and looking forward to collaborate!

We are from Mexico City 😁
Life is a collaboration

CeilingCatProphet1
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: The Church of Ceiling Cat

Post by CeilingCatProphet1 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:42 pm

The Chruch Of Ceiling Cat is a small camp (20 people max) for people who like cats and tea.

If you are interested, contact me via pm.

Learn more about The Ceiling Cat Prophet here
https://journal.burningman.org/2018/03/ ... s-3-and-4/

peakey

Post by peakey » Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi, first time burner here, Aussie but living in LA, and attending with a buddy who is flying in from Australia. Being first timers we would love to join a camp and help where needed.

Earthian

Post by Earthian » Sun May 19, 2019 2:16 am

My wife and I are Earthians in search of a camp to call home during our first burn.

We are roamers who don't consider any one place our home (but every now and again reality hits us and we find ourselves in London for work).

My wife grew up in a family of doctors without borders and spent most of her childhood in Africa and SE Asia. Among many other things, she is a qualified Yoga instructor who gives amazing massages and is the kindest person I know.

I grew up nestled in the French Alps, moving back and forth between the rugged Britanny coast and the SF Bay Area during the summertime. I am passionate about studying and designing new economic models and value system. My life is devoted to helping restore a fair world order: for mankind and for our planet. I have experience with the following: woodworking/carpentry, Earthship design, vegan cooking, basic electrical, sound system setup & management (nothing on a huge scale), filming and musical act recording (I will have equipment with me), DJ'ing (Folklore, Tribal and Dream Techhouse / Roots & Culture Dub / Jazz) and VDJ'ing (DMX), event planning, public speaking and managing (servant leadership).

Both of us will be available to help set up (as early as Thursday) and take down our host's camp or anyone else in need of help.
"It is only in sorrow bad weather masters us; in joy we face the storm and defy it."
- Amelia Barr

It's time for a change, Fair World Order.

Morph
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Morph » Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Need help with your camp build? Van transport? A pre-playa art or construction project or local logistics?

7 time consecutive veteran burner from the San Francisco Bay Area looking for a new camp to start contributing to. After 7 years my previous small camp is no more so I am looking for a new home but more importantly, I’m looking for ways to contribute to a new camp. Some ideas I’m excited about contributing to your camp:

* Construction project - Need a new piece of camp art? A room decorated? A new bar? A cycle powered fruit blender with a flame thrower attached? ...I’m super keen to spend the coming months creating something nights and weekends that could be a real addition to the camp
* Bay Area logistics - Given I’m local(ish), I’m happy to help coordinate pre-burn logistics for camps coming from other parts of the country or world
* Van - I have a mini-van and trailer so can transport up and back a group of folks and decent amount of gear, including bikes
* Camp build - I’ve always wanted to do an early arrival and help build a camp (a bonus if anyone needs help, with this and has early access)
* General good vibes and a believer in the 10 (11) principles

I’m a (nice) guy in my mid-30s that’s lived in the Bay Area for a decade and literally dreams about Burning Man multiple times a week so I’m determined to go despite not having a ticket. I’m hoping to be able to purchase a (face value) ticket from my new campmates, potentially replacing someone who can no longer come with someone (myself) eager to make a big contribution.

I’m relatively open on the camp or situation. My main drives would be a way to exhibit radical self expression and communal effort through a project in the coming months that would make a meaningful contribution in what would be a new adventure. Message me with any questions.

Return to “Camps & Villages”