open campers - weds arrival - are we hosed?

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2019.
Ginephre
Burning Since: 2019

open campers - weds arrival - are we hosed?

Post by Ginephre » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:42 am

Hey all, due to work schedules etc we are currently not able to make the drive down to BRC until weds morning. There are just two of us and it's our first year attending so we wanted to try our first year camp-less... but with there being so little space for open camping this year I'm pretty nervous about being able to find a spot. By that time in the week would we be able to squeeze in between any extra space camps may have? Thanks in advance!

mgb327

Re: open campers - weds arrival - are we hosed?

Post by mgb327 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 am

Great question, there really isn't a FAQ thread here for that. This is a very recent, (last year and this year) issue. With the promotion that everyone be in a registered/placed theme camp, us open campers have been squished out to the last outer road. For years, we camped at 3:30 and J, arriving Sunday and finding amble space to set up our small camp, no problem. Maybe a little tight by Wed., but still room to squeeze in. Last year we arrived Sunday morning and there was a one small spot left out on K, but we were lucky. We only need 50' x 50' at most. This year I think there won't be any space, you might have to beg a theme camp for some "back-lot" spot. We contribute to the event, that is our purpose. Since we do not want to be a "registered and Borg-placed theme camp", we are lesser beings. Sad, but this is the writing on the wall. If I am forced to become a member of a theme camp, I will take that as my clue to stop going. We have zero drama, dues or work duties in our little 4-6 person group, we want to keep it that way. Good luck finding a spot, but don't let anyone force you to join some group of people you don't know beforehand. Solo camping is, I think, more in the spirit of the burn. Self reliance....
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:05 am

I'm sorry, the question of "are we hosed?", simply put, yes, you are hosed.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:31 am

mgb327 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 am
Great question, there really isn't a FAQ thread here for that. This is a very recent, (last year and this year) issue. With the promotion that everyone be in a registered/placed theme camp, us open campers have been squished out to the last outer road. For years, we camped at 3:30 and J, arriving Sunday and finding amble space to set up our small camp, no problem. Maybe a little tight by Wed., but still room to squeeze in. Last year we arrived Sunday morning and there was a one small spot left out on K, but we were lucky. We only need 50' x 50' at most. This year I think there won't be any space, you might have to beg a theme camp for some "back-lot" spot. We contribute to the event, that is our purpose. Since we do not want to be a "registered and Borg-placed theme camp", we are lesser beings. Sad, but this is the writing on the wall. If I am forced to become a member of a theme camp, I will take that as my clue to stop going. We have zero drama, dues or work duties in our little 4-6 person group, we want to keep it that way. Good luck finding a spot, but don't let anyone force you to join some group of people you don't know beforehand. Solo camping is, I think, more in the spirit of the burn. Self reliance....
great post and well said.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 am

mgb327 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:26 am
Damn! Now I must stop my evil plan of forcing you to join my theme camp. I had all kinds of nefarious ways planned to bend you to my will...muahaha

No seriously though I really hope the bmorg pulls their collective heads out of their boo holes and fixes this...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am

Here is an aerial photo from 2017, the last year it was published. http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/207330 The population is the same in 2019 and the city is slightly bigger. There is a large open walk-in camping area. Hopefully the "walk in camping parking" is not full.

Essentially many placed camps lied about their number of campers to get more tickets. Presumably the BORG pays to get a satellite photo to find the cheaters.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 am

The likelihood of there being street front property available is likely zero. I would say your best odds are to look on the interior of the open camping blocks & try to find some open land in the middle of the block off the street. There tends to be SOME of that still available here & there but the last two years, even that has been slim pickings. As mgb correctly stated, "no placement, no care" is the new outlook on self-reliant, non-registered/non-placed camps. Good luck!

Luigi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: VW Bus Camp

Post by Luigi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:35 am

Yes it will be tough on Wednesday morning. Hosed? maybe not, simply because there are only 2 of you. Look at the 'theme' camps and ask if it's ok to set up. This will take some patience - maybe you will get lucky on the 3-4th try.

It sure seems like there are more 'theme' camps looking for 'members' this year. It's all fucked up, land grab gone sour for the open campers.
"Water is the driving force of all nature. " Leonardo da Vinci

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 pm

Yes Luigi, I am seeing that playing out this year. Many theme camps trying to find people to fill up their camps. So, looks like they applied with inflated numbers/space needs and now have to find people to fill them up. All this is at the cost to us open campers. Hey you guys! Pare down your ego driven space needs so we can have a few feet. Borg had to have known this was the way it would go when they put out the map with no open camping space. Idiots.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 pm

mgb327 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:18 pm
Yes Luigi, I am seeing that playing out this year. Many theme camps trying to find people to fill up their camps. So, looks like they applied with inflated numbers/space needs and now have to find people to fill them up. All this is at the cost to us open campers. Hey you guys! Pare down your ego driven space needs so we can have a few feet. Borg had to have known this was the way it would go when they put out the map with no open camping space. Idiots.
I can see this exact scenario playing out. It appears that camps may have either inflated their number for larger real estate, or may be trying to get DGS tix. In addition, these camps may have anticipated having their group all get tickets, when many may have failed. This may make for many camps that are sparsely occupied.
This opens a unique situation where these camps could be approached and asked if they have space for some open campers. Making camps look full will help the camps. WIN-WIN!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Problem is I don't want to camp in a theme camp's "donated" space, I want my own area for ruckus.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fhloston Paradise

Post by tattooedreceptionist » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

actually, you may not be hosed. Check your msgs :)
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: The Chariot Project

Post by Zubeneschamali » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm

By Wednesday its going to be 99% full.

Open camping @ 415.

Probably have to make friends when you drive in. Play it cool, pull over on L, crack a couple of beverages and start talking to people. Bond and ask if you can park your vehicle somewhere that won't bother them.

Bring a wagon and haul your gear out to shallow playa. You'll be neighbor free, noise free, its always a tropical 86 degrees and there's no dust.

Return to “Camps & Villages”