Plug&Play Camp PlayaSkool - Camp Probably intentionally left Moop to keep deposit and legally steal money from people

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2019.
Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Plug&Play Camp PlayaSkool - Camp Probably intentionally left Moop to keep deposit and legally steal money from peopl

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Bless wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 am

If someone gets a predatory mortgage and fails to read the fine print, do we jump down their throat? Do we blame ignorant or uneducated people for being duped by corporations?
And all this time I thought those were positive things.

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Re: Plug&Play Camp PlayaSkool - Camp Probably intentionally left Moop to keep deposit and legally steal money from peopl

Post by XPTom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:59 pm

I'm sure I'm under-thinking this, but I don't see the need to do anything about this problem, or at least anything new.

The first part of this problem re> fees and refunds is internal between camp members and camp leaders.. Don't like it then vote with your feet and start or find a new camp.

MOOP is everybody's business. Isn't the standard solution to move camps in bad standing to a "low rent" neighborhood? Has the placement stick and carrot already failed with this camp? …..or have they been green in prior years?
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:20 pm

XPTom, You're right. I shouldn't have mentioned the option of moving them out. (Unless the next step for bad behavior would be not being placed the following year.) I just don't think they warrant placement on the esplanade.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:15 pm

I don't think rich donors to the BM nonprofit are going to be driven away by spanking the bad camps. So if I was in charge, which I'm not, I would staff up paid Resto early, Sunday. Each previous year yellow or red placed camp would be required to make a daylight bare land checkout appointment for a Resto MOOP line sweep. They would also have their square footage and DGS tickets reduced by 20% from the previous year. That is going to seriously crimp their business model. Given there is a strong demand for placement and DGS, the excess is going to be consumed elsewhere at no cost to the ORG.

The rich people in those camps will whip their bad camps into shape or find a new camp fast. It is more likely the camp organizers will stay around for that sweep rather than flying back to their cush default life before clearing their land. It's reported that early upper management exit is a 'Skool(ing) problem.

This is easy to solve because MOOP is measured. The number of camps that need spanking is manageable with a checkout line sweep.

Next we can find a way to measure other behaviors we want changed. Sound, crass insta, bodyguards, etc.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:27 pm

Abolishing placement of theme camps entirely sounds like a drastic solution, but every downside I can imagine has a huge immediacy positive. Mix it up. Embrace chaos.

"But we need to know who camped there so we know who MOOPed" well, I'll start listening to that argument when moopy plug-n-plays start experiencing consequences.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:20 pm

burroughs creativity.jpeg
burroughs creativity.jpeg (10.73 KiB) Viewed 1289 times

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:49 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_code

i think it’s a matter of intent.

was gouging and profiteering part of the plan or a by-product of it?

therein lies the rub..
Frida Be You & Me

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:19 pm

I mean there are "rules" as in, you corporate fuckers destroying individuality and expression to package up a Desert Barbarian Vacation, and there are Rules such as government regulations on waste deposited in a protected area. If Plug-n-Plays don't care about either set of rules, then we can't joke about the Pirate Code and should recognize that there are assholes risking our entire event saturated with immeasurable emotional value for a couple dimes to rub together.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:41 am

oh i wasn’t joking about the pirates code.

somebody gotta walk the plank.
Frida Be You & Me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:04 am

(from the pirate codes.)
XI. The musicians to have rest on the Sabbath Day, but the other six days and nights, none without special favour.
So I take this to mean they must entertain day and night Mon-Sat. It's great being a pirate.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:48 am

As a followup, I believe it is possible for wealthy people to participate. But rather than trying to outdo one another with the opulence of their camp, they can be more anonymous, gracious, curious and really push their social boundaries. Same applies to entertainment types. For instance the Googlers, except for the lobster mishap, have done so for years.

It's fine they support the art projects with their wealth IMO, but I would strongly suggest they talk to a professional art consultant before doing so. "Art" like Big Imagination is sad. It's bigger, which creates more expense, but doesn't contribute to art.

I don't necessarily object to wealthy people funding some kind of exclusive retreat center at Fly Ranch, though it might be a good idea to keep things polite with the DPW neighbors.

Finally, I think a lot of the well deserved rage is over income inequality in general.

Solutions: detailed camp budgets revealed to camp participants, public placement applications (reveals the camp number of participants) and public outside services price lists. Cost transparency leads to price transparency. The above combination will allow camp members to manage camp organizers and reveal camp organizers making a profit from their pandering.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:23 pm

if you go to burning man and go home with alot more money than you came with you are doing it WAY wrong.

greed has no place on the playa.

to those that have been given much, much is to be expected.

i’d like to see more noblesse oblige from our Luckier Burners.

like this guy...

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/gerha ... ss-1291670
Frida Be You & Me

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:34 pm

FWIW: I lived rich, like no boundaries rich, for ten years.

Yes we had a fabulous property, on which we hosted artists, musical groups, monkey chant (all 26 of them!), BM opera development projects, MV builds, Playa Art construction, fire dancing, and all sorts of community fundraisers for local non-profits.

We were part of theme camps all of those years; none of them had dues/donations (?), none of them were catered, none of them hired workers.

These camps were populated by friends who worked hard and played hard together: hippies, soccer moms, small business owners, musicians, waitresses and tech dudes, all equally invested in participating to bring stuff to the playa.

I don't live rich anymore, but I burn the same way I always have.
One *can* be rich without the entitlement.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:06 am

The few billionaires I know on playa already keep it on the down-low. They are actually there for something different.

The ones you gotta watch out for are the wannabe rich who try to sell Burning Man to the somewhat rich. They'll do anything for a buck.

Bless

Post by Bless » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:29 am

FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 am

yes...every burner should chop wood, and carry water.

just remember that karma is a bitch, and PlayaKarma is a Kunt.
Frida Be You & Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:23 am

I'm going to apply Hanlon's Razor here and make no assumptions about malicious intent on part of the organizers of PlayaSkool no matter what I feel about the whole PnP model and whom it caters to. It is pure unfounded speculation that the organizers of that camp defrauded customers by planting or leaving MOOP just to get 50% of the deposit back.

Oh, and no, it's not "stealing" when the conditions are met for you to lose a deposit. It's a deposit, that's what it's for. It seems obvious that you understood the conditions -- conditions that were met because PlayaSkool's plot of land did not receive a perfect MOOP score. So your $250 part of the deposit was not returned in the same manner as if your roommate had left a stain in your apartment carpet after you had packed your shit up and left early. It's also not predatory when you understood the terms of the agreement that you stated was even part of the invitation.

Whatever peoples' feelings on PlayaSkool, as a business it would stand to lose out on future business if placement were impacted by a poor MOOP score. It sounds like people are paying a whole lot more than the $250/person PlayaSkool would receive by some sort of scam that jeopardized future placement. I don't think this is their end-game exit scam either.

Anyway, I don't have many sympathies. If you were aware that the final MOOP score depended on the last people at camp, and your $250 deposit were so important, well you had better have been one of the last people in camp picking up MOOP, right? That's what burners are supposed to do.

Next time shop around, or better yet, don't burn at a PnP camp.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 am

Oh fuck me BB! Now I had to look up Hanlon's razor ...

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:48 am

220575A3-7962-46BD-9612-BD5852FAD0E3.jpeg
220575A3-7962-46BD-9612-BD5852FAD0E3.jpeg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 893 times

i could care less about the so called moop scam and am more concerned about the predatory and profit driven contract, including the NDA.

that is some seriously whack shit, and that is what needs to be dealt with.

it aint about the money its about the making of the money.

if you wanna fleece your stupid rich friends into paying for your extravagant burn, thats great.

if you wanna fuck the general public over so you can afford another big name DJ AND the 50 cases of Krug and still walk away from reno in the Black, without winning huge at slots, well then, you’re not a burner, you’re an huge douchebag, at best.

the moop deposit is a sideshow to the actual circus, IMHO...
Frida Be You & Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:54 am

So after reading here and elsewhere...

The bottom line:

The BORG doesn’t give a rat’s ass about internal camp finances.

Folks complaining about their $250 sent the “wrong” message to placement. Missed opportunity there with their public pdf files for all to see.

Mario is super cool and ignored all the victim bashing.

I learned a new to me Hanlon's razor

Then there were a mountain of anecdotal stories of douchebaggery, conspiracy, slime, and putrescence.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:48 am
220575A3-7962-46BD-9612-BD5852FAD0E3.jpeg

i could care less about the so called moop scam and am more concerned about the predatory and profit driven contract, including the NDA.

that is some seriously whack shit, and that is what needs to be dealt with.

it aint about the money its about the making of the money.

if you wanna fleece your stupid rich friends into paying for your extravagant burn, thats great.

if you wanna fuck the general public over so you can afford another big name DJ AND the 50 cases of Krug and still walk away from reno in the Black, without winning huge at slots, well then, you’re not a burner, you’re an huge douchebag, at best.

the moop deposit is a sideshow to the actual circus, IMHO...

Agreed
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:05 pm

Token wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:09 pm
This guy is so fucking disgusting I remember him speaking at the first Theme Camp summit. Just gross. You can tell this is just one big money ego trip for him. I can't believe that Playa Skool is still around after the original Plug N Play scandal like 7 fucking years ago. Its amazing to me. Burning Man WTF. I give up. There is as much shitbag douchery there as anywhere on earth these days.

People like Jon don't even have the vaguest notion of what community is. Here's a hint: it's not exploiting people for your personal profit. That's just called capitalism.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:08 pm

bBadger,
Oh, and no, it's not "stealing" when the conditions are met for you to lose a deposit. It's a deposit, that's what it's for. It seems obvious that you understood the conditions -- conditions that were met because Playa Skool's plot of land did not receive a perfect MOOP score. So your $250 part of the deposit was not returned in the same manner as if your roommate had left a stain in your apartment carpet after you had packed your shit up and left early. It's also not predatory when you understood the terms of the agreement that you stated was even part of the invitation.
So when your roommate leaves a stain they keep the deposit to clean the stain.
Playa Skool's deposit has nothing to do with rectifying the problem. It didn't clean the moop. So what's the point of it? I think your example explains their character and motives perfectly.

I don't think the camp members are entitled to their money back. I also don't think Playa Skool should be a placed camp any longer.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Various
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Various Delights

Post by Various » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:39 pm

Can someone who downloaded the Playaskool contracts/documents reupload them somewhere? I can't view them but would love to.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:11 am

Both threads in the FB Theme Camp Organizers group have now been taken down. It seems that a civil discourse between TCOs about camp profit practices is not suitable there. There were *no* pitchforks brandished, there were questions and debate *and* the leads of PlayaSkool were participating in both threads.

I feel that the TCO community was censored. I haz sad.

Sweeping those type of discussions under the carpet has led us to this place; shining a light on 'questionable' practices *should* be a beneficial thing, right?
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:48 am

70A20CA1-A161-4320-9C11-5F164B5C278E.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:47 am

Wow
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa

sorry barbra, you can’t hide those.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 am

feel the effect...
C27E54EE-15D2-4BB3-B511-BC63C9E7E4BE.jpeg
C27E54EE-15D2-4BB3-B511-BC63C9E7E4BE.jpeg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 508 times
Frida Be You & Me

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:57 am

gaminwench wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:11 am
Both threads in the FB Theme Camp Organizers group have now been taken down. It seems that a civil discourse between TCOs about camp profit practices is not suitable there. There were *no* pitchforks brandished, there were questions and debate *and* the leads of PlayaSkool were participating in both threads.

I feel that the TCO community was censored. I haz sad.

Sweeping those type of discussions under the carpet has led us to this place; shining a light on 'questionable' practices *should* be a beneficial thing, right?
Sad to hear that it was taken down. There is a rather obvious under current of discord which needs to be resolved. Simply censoring the discussion does not correct any perceived issue and could cause it to fester and regurgitate in another form.

It is a tough nut to crack though. In the history of mankind I think there has always been an element which would look to take advantage of any given situation. Some of those elements are called entrepreneurs, while others were called greedy and all manner between. As to right or wrong, it can be a quagmire to sort out.

Right, wrong, ethical, or moral considerations can be highly subjective and subject to the perspective of the viewer. Having a calm discussion about it helps. Ranting and raving does not do much for anyone.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Altahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Altahoe » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:34 pm

BM Theme Camp Organizers FB page admins......nice job. I posted one of the two original posts and they pulled both. They pulled my post by eliminating me from the group. I received zero notice or an explanation why I was removed from the page. This is very disappointing. All I did was ask a question on Mario's behalf (whomever that really is) from his story posted here on eplaya. I was never uncivil or crude as some members including Jon "Janus" from playaskool were. After 3-4 days of lies, deception and spin, I stopped following the thread that I started. I feared it was not going to stop until it was going to sour my future burns. It was clear that the top two playaskool camp leaders weren't going to give a straight answer and only attack everyone. Attack and deflect.....sounds familiar. He had nothing to say except call Mario a "chicken shit flake". I wonder if Mario's aka is required because of the Non Disclosure Agreement that skool campers sign. Really? A non disclosure agreement to join a plug & play camp. Are the books not in satisfactory order? Several page members threw that idea around. He stated, it was none of our business and we are not part of his community. I thought we are all in the same community. I get the feeling he thinks he's the next Fyre Festival guy. Finally, at the end of several days of deflection, I told him he's trying run a Waldorf Astoria in our city and he's nothing but a "timeshare salesman". I'm all about capitalism and making a buck, but I thought this was our safe zone.....our no fly zone. Hell, we even had Trippi Longstocking (head placer) re-quoted (with permission) about the different ongoing online threads (playaskool). The admins for Theme Camp Organizers need to grow a sack. Just a wee bit of cowardice. Bottom line I joined Burner Man Theme Camp Organizers to learn how do things right. Instead, I was taught a few new ways to turn a profit....putting it nicely.

ps- can't wait for this post to be taken down. :roll:

Return to “Camps & Villages”