People Seeking Camps 2019

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2019.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

People Seeking Camps 2019

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am

For those who are new to the community and not sure how to proceed, I strongly suggest that you take the initiative and try to find your own camp. We all understand that getting to Burning Man, especially in that very first year, can be really hard. When you read about Burning Man and the Ten Principles, one of them is radical self reliance. Sure, there are lots of ways to read or interpret that, but in a nutshell you will call upon yourself to figure out a lot of ridiculous stuff ("the rainbow tutu, or the bee costume?") and do more than you might have ever thought you could. You might have already hit that milestone - but out of all the crazy stuff you have to figure out for Burning Man, figuring out your camp isn't that hard. You have three basic options:
  1. You can camp by yourself! You all by yourself, or you and your group of however many friends, can go camping and survive and have a great Burning Man experience. Thousands of burners do just that every year, and they have an amazing burn.
  2. You can start your own camp! It doesn't have to be a theme camp, or your theme could be any shared interest ("Naked Margarita Camp" is just one of a billion ideas to choose from). Sure, some camps work all year to build their stuff, but you can come up with an idea in no time and invite other like-minded people to join you.
  3. You can join somebody else's camp! The best reason to join another camp is because 'holy crap they sound awesome and I want to be a part of that!' but you may also have reservations about doing #1 or #2. If it's your first time out there, one of the best ways to learn about doing things is to join another camp and get involved and learn from them...or any number of other totally valid reasons. So don't feel bad about having a strong desire to be part of a larger group.
If you're looking at joining a camp, there are two main ways to go about it. The radically self reliant approach would be to take a look at the camps out there and find something that resonates with you, and then reach out to that group. You're going to find information about camps in two main places. First is the message board you're on right now... ePlaya. Early in the season the pickings may seem pretty slim, but as camps start to figure out what they're planning for 2019 they'll start posting about it. Look through the threads, and if something jumps out at you as cool, exciting, or fun... then post a reply. Or better yet, click on the PM button next to the thread starter's message to send them a private message. At this late stage of the game, many camps and camp leaders aren't checking the boards that regularly, so sending a private message to express your interest sends them a notification, an typically gets a faster response. The other place to find a list of camps is the partial list of 2018 theme camps. It has a list of all the camps who filled out placement questionnaires and chose to make their information public. Holy crap, that list is huge, and it's exhaustive to read it all, but it's also a lot of fun to see what people build and bring to Burning Man. Sometime in May/June a similar list will likely be posted for the 2019 event, but last year's list can be a good place to start. Find something interesting, then fire up an internet search engine and find that camp. Many have web sites or Facebook pages or some kind of internet presence. If they don't, that's probably a strong sign that they're not recruiting for new members anyways - but if you can find them you can reach out to ask. Tell them how you discovered them, and why you're interested and ask if they're planning to return in 2019 and would be willing to consider having you join. Speaking personally as a person who organizes a camp, a camp leader is more likely to be moved by someone with a genuine interest rather than a generic post.

Failing the above, yeah you can post a 'Seeking Camp' post, but to some it suggest that you may be lacking in initiative or radical self reliance... which is probably not your intention. It is understandable though - you may be new, or your plans may have fallen through, or it all just seems too overwhelming. Take a moment, maybe even two, a couple deep breaths, and go. You can do this.

Mod Note: anyone feeling the need to post their own plea in hopes of a camp seeking them out and adopting them... should post it here. Camps that would like to respond to posters in this board should do so by using the private message or email button under the poster's name - don't post camp adverts or responses here as they will be removed.

British Henry
Burning Since: 2010

Re: People Seeking Camps 2019

Post by British Henry » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm

:shock: Really?! The first to post on here!! Well we’re truly honoured. :D

Returning after 7yr break and bringing my partner along for her first time to share her amazing energy with the Playa too.

We’d love to join an active camp, people facing (we’re both high energy and mischievous Brits) maybe a fun bar or a back stage at a dance arena / show perhaps.

A smaller intimate community would be better for us rather than a huge camp.

We’re both really resourceful doers, team managers, event coordination type stuff.
I’m an electrician, mechanic, general handyman and full of crap jokes!

Love dancing with fire and learning to spin. We’re always open to new and love to give.

Hook us up ePlaya xx

Hen & Em
Burning Man - I'm Henry / Hen @ Burning Man - Burning Hen = Roast Chicken!

justanothercrap
Burning Since: 2019

Post by justanothercrap » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:33 am

Hi,

A Virgin burner here going solo this year. I think joining a theme camp is an easy way for a solo virgin burner to integrate into the spirit without getting overwhelmed by logistics.
I am 31 m, originally from India but been living in the US for a decade now.
Will be traveling from NC.

Some of the things I am looking for is basic necessities- shower, shade, one meal a day, toilet.

I am enthusiastic and willing to be a part of a group project and would love to be an active member of the community.

Thanks!

Jangles
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Morning Cookie

Post by Jangles » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:20 pm

British Henry wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm
:shock: Really?! The first to post on here!! Well we’re truly honoured. :D

Returning after 7yr break and bringing my partner along for her first time to share her amazing energy with the Playa too.

We’d love to join an active camp, people facing (we’re both high energy and mischievous Brits) maybe a fun bar or a back stage at a dance arena / show perhaps.

A smaller intimate community would be better for us rather than a huge camp.

We’re both really resourceful doers, team managers, event coordination type stuff.
I’m an electrician, mechanic, general handyman and full of crap jokes!

Love dancing with fire and learning to spin. We’re always open to new and love to give.

Hook us up ePlaya xx

Hen & Em
Hi Hen & Em,

My camp, Functional Nightmare Agency, is looking to grow by a few members this year, and specifically looking for someone to help out with our lighting and generators (that particular campmate is taking the year off).

We are a small camp (avg pop, 10-14) host a variety of ridiculous events (eg, Booze n' Kazoos and a Nightmare Auction), and for the last 6 years we have been placed in the quieter (but still very fun!) 6:00 sector. We do run a bar, but it is certainly not the main attraction of our camp. Our roster is made up of nuclear physicists, mechanical engineer, belly dancer/digital marketer (me!), and a host of other nerdy/artsy folks mostly from the Bay Area. I am also learning to spin fire. :)

Would like to talk more with you guys to see if we'd be a good fit for each other, and get more of a sense of who you are and what kind of an experience you want at Burning Man. Send me a private message if this sounds appealing to you guys and we'll take it from there!

Return to “Camps & Villages”