Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2019.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:58 am

What can I say? The Home was presented in a truncated form, but it was there. This year I hope to return full force, with the addition of Poems of Unusual Size, a magnetic words poem installation.

For those who do not know, MyLarry passed away on 8/27 of lung cancer. I did not attend but sent the camp and art off in the capable hands of Rangers Genius and Rarity. I am looking forward to seeing many of you on the playa this year. Don't feel you need to avoid the topic of MyLarry's death; I am already sad, you can't make me sadder. (For the newbies, this is my husband Larry, not Larry Harvey. Two Larrys, two deaths.)

So, here's the skinny:
Established in 2005, Anti M's Home for Wayward Art is a place for small art, medium art, amateur art, but especially Bad Art, Lost Art, Found Art, Art which Needs a Good Spanking, and of course, Wayward Art. This is not a gallery, it is more like juvenile detention for art, an orphanage, a half-way house for misfit art. All art in the Home is up for adoption, all the prospective new parent needs to do is fill out a small adoption form and clip it to the Home in place of their newfound art darling.

Art may also be committed to the Home, just put it securely in place and say good-bye. If you have multiples of similar pieces, please bring them around to the shade structure. That way I can place them mixed in with the other art so one theme does not become overwhelming. While the emphasis is on visual art such as paintings, drawings and photos, other mediums such as small sculptural art are welcome. The Gifting Box is for even smaller items such as jewelry, swag and trinkets. Costumes, MOOP, food, and your abandoned sign too bulky to haul around are not within the parameters, thank you. If you are donating many items, do leave them in the back, in the shade structure with a note.

Why? I love to paint, I love to do miniatures, I love to give things away. Based on the concepts of art and gifting, I came up with the Home. Why Bad Art? While I am quite good at miniatures, I am not always pleased with my products. I also glean art from thrift stores and friends and family and yard sales. Some of the most fabulous donated pieces have been dumpster diving finds.
53046684_2273467826242787_5046486865134223360_n.jpg
DSCF8343 - Copy.JPG

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Re: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by Lightspeed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:32 pm

Anti M, so sorry to hear about your Larry. Much love to you.

Looking forward to stopping by your camp this year!
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 pm

:::::hugs:::::

I'm looking forward to seeing you in the dust! Poems of Unusual Size sounds fun, the name reminds me of The Princess Bride

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:39 pm

trilobyte wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 pm
:::::hugs:::::

I'm looking forward to seeing you in the dust! Poems of Unusual Size sounds fun, the name reminds me of The Princess Bride

That would be because our regional theme last year was As You Wish ....

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:56 am

Update. I'm not holding my breath for the poetry installation. I have not painted for a couple months. I do have some really nice things for the Gifting Box. This is hard, and getting harder each day.

I will be bringing an entire skeleton to wear Larry's kilt and hold his ashes in the Temple. Maybe I will trek out on Tuesday morning.

daisymaybee
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: BRC Tour of Homes

Post by daisymaybee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you will be returning to the burn.
In reading about your poetry project, I think I might be able to help you out.
I brought a couple of hundred poetry words to playa in 2016. These are available for you. I had the idea of poetry (like the fridge set) only bigger. The only thing missing is the magnets themselves. I will add a photo when I locate them in the garage.
daisymaybee

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:16 am

daisymaybee wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:18 pm
Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you will be returning to the burn.
In reading about your poetry project, I think I might be able to help you out.
I brought a couple of hundred poetry words to playa in 2016. These are available for you. I had the idea of poetry (like the fridge set) only bigger. The only thing missing is the magnets themselves. I will add a photo when I locate them in the garage.
I have many magnetic words, a big shoebox full. It is the metal panels and setting them up which is the snag. I have to talk to the camp members who would do the physical work of set up. That's the hitch.

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:49 am

I look forward to visiting your Home for Wayward Art again this year. I have yet to run into you there, but the first piece I adopted from you still has a place of honor in my home. Considering bringing it back for someone else to enjoy while I adopt a nice piece.

Or I can just be selfish and keep both.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 am

Oh, do keep both, they get lonely. Still, art has returned before, and then gone on to a loving new home. Whichever moves you most!

Return to “Camps & Villages”