One way, BRC to Reno Airport on 9/2

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let people know about it here.
Aqueous
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Do More Now

One way, BRC to Reno Airport on 9/2

Post by Aqueous » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:59 pm

I've got everything lined up to go and get in, now I just need a hand leaving.

I can chip in $20 or so in gas and the only gear I'll have on me will be a backpack and carry on bag! I'm flexible on departure time, as long as I'm at the airport by evening, since I'm on a stand-by ticket, but it would be nice to make my scheduled flight at 5pm. I'm not quite sure how long monday exodus takes, since I've not been for a while.

Thank you!

Canoe

Re: One way, BRC to Reno Airport on 9/2

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:36 am

Boy are you feeling lucky...
The busiest day to leave.
How do you feel about leaving at 2 am.

You might leave at 6 am and be there before noon. Or midnight. Or later. Depends on what happens.
Look at the traffic pattern/load from the Sunday Temple Burn through to noon on Monday.

There are so many things that can delay Exodus. Some you can watch for and leave earlier (forecast rain). Others can blindside you.

Whiteout and no one can move until the wind lets up. Rain on the playa and no one can move. Rain on the hill beside the playa can put water at the edge of the playa and no one can leave the playa. BRC is Closed: no one allowed out. The highway needs repair. The highway is washed out. There's a fire at or next to the highway. There's an accident, or two, or three. Stopping/gassing in Gerlach has congested traffic. Someone's inadequately secured load has spilled and needs to be cleared from the highway. Too much traffic (unsafe) on the highway - release of vehicles to the highway is slowed or stalled.

THEN, coming direct from the playa, will they refuse to allow you to board: you're too dusty, clothes are too dusty or your carry-on is too dusty. Or they won't accept a dusty backpack.

You may be lucky, but the consensus is one needs to leave the day before to be "sure" (and that's not sure, just significantly more likely) you are there in time for your flight. And if you get to BRC the day before, you have a chance to rest and get clean so you can board your flight.

A number of threads have addressed when to leave BRC to catch a flight.
Google eplaya to find those threads and hear some of the stories and advice.
Also google eplaya for the various ways to find a ride out of BRC to Reno.

Here's the three latest years of Exodus times.

2016 - when Exodus was closed from some hours while a missing minor was located.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=79228&start=60#p1123862

2017 - fire beside road
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=82621&start=30#p1145610

2018 - viewtopic.php?f=286&t=90544&start=30#p1168736

So it has been an hour to three to get out of BRC, plus up to nine to get to Wadsworth, plus time to Reno.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Aqueous
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Do More Now

Post by Aqueous » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks for all the info!

I would definitely leave at 2AM if offered, I've pushed my luck far enough just being able to go in the first place this year. I also don't mind if I miss that first flight and even have to wait overnight at the airport, especially if I have to wash up a bit to be "presentable". As long as I can confirm a ride sometime right after the temple burn to mid day on Monday, I'll be more than satisfied. I'll even help with loading and packing on Sunday if that makes the difference!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:43 pm

If you do those suggested searches, you'll see how one way to leave at anytime is to go out to the road that leads to Gate (don't walk to Gate) with your bags and a sign that says Reno or Reno Airport. And where one may get cleaned up.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Rideshares & Resource Sharing”