Marion Goodell speaks.

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Marion Goodell speaks.

Post by TT120 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:50 am

Some good and long overdue news here.

https://journal.burningman.org/2019/02/ ... orrecting/
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Jackass

Re: Marion Goodell speaks.

Post by Jackass » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Do not buy package deals to attend Burning Man. Period. You know it’s a “package deal” if it includes a ticket and accommodations. If it doesn’t feel right, it isn’t. Don’t do it. There are NO approved vendors for this type of offering.
Even without a ticket it's still a PnP, fuck them.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:20 pm

So Google, FB and YT are no longer provided with free content about BM? Providing content would support the bussines model of such sites.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:30 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to the newly-created board for the discussion.

I think it's a great post, I welcome the changes she talked about and am looking forward to getting those ticketing details too :)

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:02 pm

After Black Rock City 2018, our Communications Team compiled examples of commodification and exploitation of Black Rock City and Burning Man culture. The report is 55 pages long.
This would have made for some interesting reading, but conveniently there was no link...
Last edited by Jackass on Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:06 pm

I'm supportive.

But I observe that about one sacrificial lamb a year: Dancetronauts (14?), Caravancicle(14), White Ocean(15?), and Humano(18), has not been effective.

I'm looking forward to some more social hygiene videos on the BM YouTube. Hopefully they will be entertaining and humorous!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

dornebob
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Paraluna/Firmament

Post by dornebob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 am

Hi everyone; My name is Dorne Pentes, aka 'Awesome' and I have been burning since 2005. I very much appreciated Marian's thoughts on theme camps, plug n play, and other issues. I really, really appreciate the fact the BMORG is taking steps to change the commodification of our culture. We had a lot of discussions about this issue at our camp last year and frankly I was worried about the direction I saw BM heading.

For me BM is about creating not only a culture but also really, really awesome artwork and group experiences. Every step BM can take to make sure the culture of creativity is strong and growing is a step towards strengthening. I applaud the changes in ticket structure and increasing tickets in the directed group sale. We as a culture must work hard to eliminate plug n play camps, both through our words and our actions. But the BMORG is where it all starts-- the BMORG's steps in this direction are great but I advise them to be super-focused on fixing these problems both through internal actions but also through publicity. Getting those meesages out to the culture is the best way to halt the practice.

My only other thought is regarding funding for artwork and the encouragement of its creation. Artwork is the core of the BM Experience. We need more, not less. Artwork deserves and needs more funding and support.

Thanks again for listening to all of us and providing this forum. I look forward to seeing great changes. We don't ever want to have to say 'last year was better'-- but instead 'this year was AWESOME'.

Sincerely, Dorne Pentes

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm

It's been more than one camp per year (and worth noting that Dancetronauts issues were related to mutant vehicle operations). Burning Man generally treats such matters confidentially, and only mentions by name when they feel it's absolutely necessary. I can respect that, in my opinion once you go down that road there's little chance of coming back.

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”