Greening Transportation by Going Slow

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Greening Transportation by Going Slow

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:19 pm

We are hoping the new Burning Man environmental project moves toward full carbon accounting and burner carbon calculators. That will show long distance transportation is the greatest contributor of atmospheric carbon.

BxB is a help. Carpooling is a help. Solar on-playa where it fits is a help. Here is a radical idea: go by boat!

It is not hard to book a cabin on an ocean going freight ship. Your weight is really not going to increase the fuel consumption, so your additional carbon is essentially zero.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... vel-europe

Another option is Amtrak. It's leisurely and a more interesting and social cross section of travelers than air travel where people just want to get through it.

One could imagine groups of burners together on a ship or booking together on Amtrak would be fun!

Station to Station was private train, an art project. But imagine a burner train.

(Of course when BLM sells the BORG the playa, we can build a train station between Frog Pond and Trego. That would be walkable to BRC!)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Greening Transportation by Going Slow

Post by Ratty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:58 pm

The week-end before the Super Bowl. That's in 2 weeks. Roseville Ca to Reno. We are in the last car. Tolerated by the conductor for 20 or 30 years. Every year could be the last. 60 burners. Party at the sands in a suite or two. Chartered bus back the next afternoon. I won't give you the details but it's fun from when we meet at the Trocadero for drinks till when we get back to our cars on Sunday. AMTRAKATHON the party at the Sands is also a Birthday bash. 4 hours is perfect for the train ride. coast to coast would be a little much.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 pm

I guess there'd be a lot of time to process and decompress while waiting 15 days each way to travel across the ocean on a container ship. That'd be like a whole month of boat travel to attend the event for one week?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 am

This used to be all you needed to tame the Wild West.

But then this happened and ruined it for everyone.

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 am

are they trained to use the porta potties? ….or is POOP not MOOP?
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:24 am

Like I said, the camel crapped all over that idea back in the old millennium...

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 am

I looked up cruise ships as an alternative. They are faster - 7 days for trans-Atlantic, but they are fuel hogs.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006 ... ises.green

Greta Thunberg's sailing trip was about 15 days to cross the Atlantic.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”