Good ways to help Gerlach/Empire?

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
jasonk
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Good ways to help Gerlach/Empire?

Post by jasonk » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:17 pm

I noticed in the comments to the BLM during the EIS that some people in Gerlach don't feel we give them much economic boost in return for all the inconvenience, because we've already bought everything before driving through.

I'm thinking, I don't know, maybe I'd still shop in Reno, but in Gerlach buy things I'd like but don't critically need. Perhaps extra food gifts for Gate/Greeters/camp. If Gerlach is sold-out/limited selection, it won't be much negative impact that I couldn't get them, and if Gerlach has stuff, great.

Does this seem like a useful way to help Gerlach?

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Good ways to help Gerlach/Empire?

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:22 pm

It seems like it would if you’re buying from the Gerlach proprietors and not the pop up shops. Unless those pop ups are run by Getlachians
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

jasonk
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Post by jasonk » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:27 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:22 pm
It seems like it would if you’re buying from the Gerlach proprietors and not the pop up shops. Unless those pop ups are run by Getlachians
Yeah. Though presumably even if they're non-Gerlachians, they're still paying someone in Gerlach for use of space, probably a town permit too, and they're probably eating/sleeping/buying gas in Gerlach. So perhaps not completely worthless?

But yeah, I figured I'd go into a permanent store.

We need to get recommendations from Gerlachians.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:35 am

dont litter, be pleasant, don’t block driveways with your vehicle, keep the noise levels down, keep your speed low, spend your money, and smile.

pretend it is your little town being innundated by 80,000 “freaks”.

be your best self and be kind.
Frida Be You & Me

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:16 am

I became friendly with a few families in Gerlach over the years. There is truly a love/hate relationship with Burning Man among the local towns people. They will sit on the front stoop and watch the endless parade of freakish insanity go by their front doors, and complain incessantly about it.

We do tend to trample their usually quiet and peaceful world. Many new burners have never seen a tiny remote town like this before. Some think that this place is the beginning of their week of partying and that part is not fair to the town.

Buy water in the town and be respectful of the local residents and understand that you're invading their quiet utopia. Have lunch at Bruno's restaurant and tip your waitress well. On the way out, don't try to bathe in the sink at the restaurant. Don't get naked in the town and don't pee in the bushes.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:19 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:35 am
dont litter, be pleasant, don’t block driveways with your vehicle, keep the noise levels down, keep your speed low, spend your money, and smile.

pretend it is your little town being innundated by 80,000 “freaks”.

be your best self and be kind.
Pretty much spot on there.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:02 am

Friends of Black Rock High Rock includes locals, get to know that group. If you can, come out for the 4th of Juplaya. Aluminum can recycling on playa kicks a small amount to the town. I don't know if it's the case, because I go North, but it used to be the fire department would wash cars with their pumper for a donation, we always kicked in a 20. When you stop in Gerlach or really any small town, listen to their stories. Leave the bathroom in Brunos cleaner than when you came. The other thing we need to work on is the relationship is with the Pyramid Paiutes.

This is all lore to bring your virgins up to speed.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”