Cultural Course Correcting post by Marian Goodell

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Cultural Course Correcting post by Marian Goodell

Post by gaminwench » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:58 am

We are a returning camp in good standing, so we receive DGS, which covers our build/strike crew.

In a camp of ~38, we will have between 8-15 virgin burners this year. These folks come to us (mostly) through personal, off-playa encounters. We talk to them, acculturate them, and (if they GET IT) they come in and throw down with *mostly* great success. I think it's because we talk, A LOT, about principles and work and community and immediacy and expectations; then show them, on playa, where the fun/connections are. We make space for down time, during build/strike (YAY, pFluffers!) and only ask for 3 camp hosting shifts during the week.

They get a great playa experience, we get great virgins; win, WIN, win.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm

I was really impressed by Marian's article, for its honesty and its clarity on what the Org identifies as the challenges facing our community and how they can help mitigate them. I think at this point we have a case of trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube, but I also don't think the Org should be held liable for how they managed our evolution in the midst of rapidly changing technology over the last 10 years or so. Social media has exposed the masses to Burning Man, and unfortunately what's most often shared falls directly in line with social media in general.....make it look good. People don't go home and post photos of the inside of their tent filled with a half inch of dust, or a morning selfie taken when trying to navigate home while the dehydration and hangover is kicking in. Burning Man has captured the interest of a whole lot of people because of how well we photograph, rather than because of our community ethos. I don't like to tell people how to Burn, but I do think it's right for the Org to try and minimize the business opportunities for those that have exploited a niche market. Also okay for them to take a policy line against the exclusivity and insular nature of some of the turn-key camps.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:47 am

jcliff wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 pm
Also okay for them to take a policy line against the exclusivity and insular nature of some all of the turn-key PnP camps.
I fixed that for you, you're welcome.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:42 pm

This was the most-revealing part of Marian's essay:
The OSS [Off-Site Services] program grew from 16 credentialed service providers in 2012 to 60 in 2017. This is a 375% increase in just five years.

While many groups use the program in a limited capacity as intended, OSS has become the production backbone for others. Over the years, we’ve seen huge jumps in the number of RV, trailer, and generator rentals through OSS, and a corresponding increase in environmental compliance violations, including fuel management and grey/black water spills on the playa. We’ve also seen companies expand their offerings to include convenience items like e-bikes, Segways, mutant vehicle rentals, and loading RVs ahead of time with food and water. This was not the intent of the OSS program, and we are now taking stringent steps to ensure the program is better aligned with the 10 Principles.
Emphasis added.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:03 pm

I really hope so ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Camp Tinder Swipe

I'm seeing camps who want desperate paid campers. The camps are trying to make pretend playa love with them to entice those campers to pay money. They are trying to advertise the exchange on the interwebs.

If you are seeking a camp. I would strongly suggest you research the camp and camp leaders, going back years.

The earlier you do so, the less you are driven to buyer market desperation. Or opt out and solo camp in the walk-in zone.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am

I'm trying to wrap my head around this.... A person who has been unable to obtain a ticket through the normal methods, buys into an expensive p-n-p camp primarily to get a DGS ticket?

I guess I underestimate how desperate some people are to attend a dusty event in the Black Rock Desert.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:25 am

Molotov wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am
I'm trying to wrap my head around this.... A person who has been unable to obtain a ticket through the normal methods, buys into an expensive p-n-p camp primarily to get a DGS ticket?

I guess I underestimate how desperate some people are to attend a dusty event in the Black Rock Desert.
Exactly, why not just buy the FOMO ticket?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 am

Because they don't want to be bothered and spend a small portion of their time on playa doing any work. Most of these people don't "work" in the real world, they sure as hell aren't going to lift a finger on their vacation... Especially after paying that kind of coin for all of their needs, wants and expectations to be met.

The old narrative that burning man is difficult and a lot of work has been receding.

"Burning Man ain't easy" was one of the first things I heard a vet burner in my camp utter to me as she smiled, and while we sat there eating dirt in a whiteout my first year...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm

And it's hit the BBC.

Are the super-rich ruining Burning Man?
www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47203978
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:42 am

On increasing the DGS... I get it and I agree with it. Encouraging and rewarding participation is a good thing, I think Marian mentioned something about it being one of the most important currencies and I think she hit the nail on the head. Increasing the allotment either allows the various departments to let their groups in good standing have a little bit more help, or allows them to help (and reward) a few more groups that are doing it right.

I don't see it as a logic fail (there is still a significant number of tickets in the main sale that are open to all comers, minus those who participated in the DGS). So everybody still has a chance. I'm not sure it creates a "privileged class" as much as it creates a "participant class". I can't speak to every group that gets invited, but from my own experience a lot of work (both on and off the playa) goes into building and bringing the gizmos (camp, vehicle, art installation, etc). No part of the process (mix of DGS and open-to-all main sale) prevents or inhibits organic mischief, as it were. If anything, the DGS is a part of the evolution of the experiment. Based on results from the last several years, tweaking the model to better support and encourage participation seems to be a good thing.

As for increasing or decreasing the virgin count, that's all baseless conjecture. Regardless of whether there's been a DGS or not, or what the allocation is, the census numbers have showed a pretty consistent percentage of first time burners (roughly a third, I think) over the last several years. While there isn't any data, common sense suggests that new burners were a much higher percentage in "the good old days" of the 90's, when the annual population increase was a larger percentage (it even doubled a couple times).

On social posting, I agree that there's no technical solution. My personal feeling used to be hard-liner against the use of technology of any kind, but I've also had missing campmates, neighbors trying to connect with sick/injured loved ones, and I totally get that some people have a need. I've posted a few updates to campmates and friends, but I tend to avoid posting pics and whatnot until after I get back at the soonest (note to self, finish going through 2018 pics and video!). Mostly I just don't want to post any spoilers if I can avoid it.

As for the small, informal camp that's doing it right and feels like they're getting squeezed out... You're already doing the hard work of doing it right. Organize and fill out a camp questionnaire. I believe the minimum numbers needed for camp placement are low (might be 6? Check the form when it opens on the 20th), and they can accommodate you if you do things like completely change what you're doing or what you want to call your camp from one year to the next (the organizer just sends an email to let them know of a name change and placement can follow along).

As for that band and their humble bragging, I think I saw the same band and thought the same thing. Seriously, if you think of the event as another stop on your "tour" you're doing it wrong in my personal opinion. I say the bands (as well as DJ's) need to maintain a "separation of church and state" - play and share your music, but don't pimp your album releases, your upcoming live shows or any of that other stuff. Keep it about the art, when we get back we can look you up if we're so inclined. And no, the band I'm thinking of wasn't Alan Parsons (it was one of the acts before). I though APP was on point - he wasn't out there pimping a best of or re-issue. Nobody really knew of or cared much about his I, Robot album, and performing it at Burning Man wasn't any kind of key to massive commercial success or making meellleeooons on a 40 year old record. It was an artist spending a lot of time, money, and energy to come out and share their art because they wanted to.

As for APP's grammy, I get it. All dusty nonsense aside, the guy's a production LEGEND. Not only in the control room on some of the Beatles' records, but considered to be an instrumental part of making Pink Floyd's The Wall the album that it is today (I'm not really a PF fan, but I can appreciate the artistry in it). He's done some groundbreaking stuff in the studio over the years. He won the grammy this year for a 35th anniversary box set release on the Eye In The Sky album (yep, not the one he played at Burning Man). It spans 9 discs, and regardless of what you think of the songs the production work and attention to detail is meticulous and awesome. Good for him and for everyone involved in that.

Regarding people being nicer online, hooray. I don't think people are naturally mean, I just think that certain topics (politics, for example) can be polarizing, and the unfortunate nature of things like likes/responses (or upvoting/downvoting) often leads people to maybe take things a little bit further than they might if they were talking face to face without a social media scorecard.

On the OSS growth, that was something I felt Marian's post actually got wrong. Or more appropriately, was a little misleading on. I don't doubt the accuracy of the stats. What's missing is the right context. Much of that growth isn't because people raced in to take advantage of the system, it's because people who were already doing it under the radar went legit and registered. Prior to the OSS program there were TONS of companies making deliveries and performing services, they just grabbed a ticket and did their thing on the down low. Even before the sellout, a lot of those companies were completely unreliable. Not just hours late, but days late or even not showing at all. The program has accountability baked into it, so the first couple years were mostly the most established and consistent providers, and it led others to better organize and up their game. Yeah, some took advantage of it in unfortunate ways, but I think it's been mostly a good thing for camps and groups who are working hard to do the right thing. That said, it's great that they're revisiting the program and its participants to make sure they're staying on mission.

On the subject of the BBC article, I wish it had gotten more right than it did. It's a shame, because they usually do a great job, but to read that piece makes it sound like this is some new issue Burning Man has only recently faced (it's not, I remember passing by a few such camps in 2004). It's been an ongoing struggle to keep things at bay. It was unfortunate, but not an entirely terrible article. I thought the recent NYT piece did a much better job, and overall I'm still kind of awestruck that there's anything that even approaches favorable coverage in the mainstream media.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:16 am

I think " most important currencies " is very telling and interesting phrasing. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am

Trilo! Thank you for the diligent and well thought out post!

I’m-a gonna focus on one section that seems to have my tag-phrases in there...

On increasing the DGS... I get it and I agree with it. Encouraging and rewarding participation is a good thing, I think Marian mentioned something about it being one of the most important currencies and I think she hit the nail on the head. Increasing the allotment either allows the various departments to let their groups in good standing have a little bit more help, or allows them to help (and reward) a few more groups that are doing it right.

I don't see it as a logic fail
This is where our pant-seats differ a bit. And that is a good thing.

My pants tell me that we are now talking about adjudicating “good standing”. Not to be too subtle, is a dozen guys/gals with a shade structure, stripper pole and 80’s glam rock on the boom box blaring from a spiked punch-bar good enough for “good standing” ?

It just seems to me that pre-packaged content in “good standing” geared to provide experiences in exchange for access to tickets rubs several principles the wrong way in order to solve a technical supply/demand problem.

Aside from a few blips here and there in the plazas, esplanade is it in terms of the kind of thinking that can justify a reward program like DGS.

My long winded point is that with all the placed camps and DGS we explicitly cater to a curated experience. Gone are intimacy, immediacy and communal effort. Replaced by hordes of people looking for camps, curators, a meal ticket and showers.

MM took the necessary evil of DGS (there would have been some sucky years without it) and instead of diminishing its influence, threw some old propane tanks into the fire to see what happens.

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Post by jneilvindy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:45 pm

And of course increasing DGS means increased camp members which means it's easier for the ORG to hold people accountable for moop issues. I mean it's kinda hard to ban anyone when a red moop map mess is located in open camping as opposed to being able to blame a placed camp.

DGS is a terrible idea, always was and always will be.

It creates an elite class, an insider class and lets the ORG pick winners and losers.

Really, who cares if X camp can't make it back? Or has to scale back their plans due to "critical" individuals not getting tickets? Does anyone really believe if we don't have a pink heart, dustyfish or any other of the thousands of camps that Burning Man is going to fail?

OMG 70k people won't be able to roam around looking for content! Whatever will they do? Maybe spontaneously create content? Maybe actually talk to each other instead of mindlessly bobbing to EDM?

And what about the "if you want a ticket bad enough you'll find a way" plucky mantra chanted every year by the ORG and this board?

Every single ticket should be in the general sale followed by STEP.

Burn it down. Burn it all down.

P.S. Why are the OMG tickets 125.00 more than general sale tickets? Other than milking a desperate market that is....

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 pm

It is returning Burners who are the culture bearers of Burning Man.
There is a lot of lamentation that Burning Man is not what it was, TTID has changed- and for the worse. There are complaints that new Burners are not accultured.
Our culture is an average, a conglomeration, a mix of the opinions and mores of everyone there.
DGS ticket holders have been vetted to ensure that they will probably conform and add to Burner culture but not be to rigid about it. The DGS provider has an interest in training and helping a new Burner to become a Burner.
Your first Burn is a learning year, you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about what it takes to Burn-- even if you think you do. If we allow 70-80% virgins Burning Man will become Ringling Bros.- everyone there to look and not contribute.

We need a good balance of Burners and Virgions to allow a good mix. The Direct Sale, Low Income Sale, etc. introduce an element of randomness which lets some great people and some assholes contribute their opinions and ensures change and growth.

"Really, who cares if X camp can't make it back?"
Who? why it is the camp members who try to come every year to continue their camps culture and build their circle of like minded friends, the neighbors who may bike from 9 to 3 to enjoy an old friends company and learn from them, Burners who will have a smaller chance to interact with someone who "gets it". Even if they "get It" differently than you do.

"Burn it down. Burn it all down."
We burn the things we make so we can make more and add new thoughts to our old projects, so we can grow. We have virgins to add opinions, thoughts and skills we don't have. We have the oldtimers and second and third year Burners to teach the virgins and to learn from them.

"P.S. Why are the OMG tickets 125.00 more than general sale tickets? Other than milking a desperate market that is...."
Could be, could also be that planning is rewarded as is interactivity.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:13 am

Jackass wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:47 am
jcliff wrote:
Also okay for them to take a policy line against the exclusivity and insular nature of some all of the turn-key PnP camps.
I fixed that for you, you're welcome.
Right you are.

Colonel Monk

Post by Colonel Monk » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 am

lucky420 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:25 am
Molotov wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 am

Exactly, why not just buy the FOMO ticket?
Hah, YES! def need to add a FOMO ticket.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:42 am

I believe the minimum numbers needed for camp placement are low (might be 6? Check the form when it opens on the 20th)
Smaller than that, in fact. The current placement criteria specify that a theme camp is "anywhere from three to 400 people".

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Tiger Man is a placed camp of 4 with one fluid space. We install foam and fur on your bike seat so you can enjoy your ride. (Lots of sore butts out there.) So far everyone loves us including the placement team.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token

Post by Token » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:19 pm

Ratty wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm
Tiger Man is a placed camp of 4 with one fluid space. We install foam and fur on your bike seat so you can enjoy your ride. (Lots of sore butts out there.) So far everyone loves us including the placement team.
So how many DGS tickets do you get as a core contributor to the grand spectacle of the Playa? Is it everyone including the floater?

I’ve never done a DGS experience and am really curious to know if it’s some ratio of camp members or the whole team.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:05 pm

My camp refuses to participate in DGS because all of us have had horrible experiences with placement. It's a thing. Ever been placed near DISTRIKT, despite complaints? Howsabout taking a first year camp and throwing them up on A street, despite protests, where it proceeds to get fucked by 24hr noise on both sides and way too small of a footprint?

We prefer the freedom of finding a spot deep in the suburbs to set up shop. We have a smaller camp with a large footprint, because we provide a shit-ton of shade for the neighborhood, along with a chill dome, bar, intermittent music, and other silly interactions. 100% of my camp volunteers for the man in capacities that require us to come early and stay late, and all of us tend to work full-time from the time we hit the dust until we leave. Our first campers arrive before early burn, and our last campers leave after trash man. We absolutely do not have the time to dedicate to actually running our camp as a thing, we don't have the time to bring more art than what we bring for camp (lights for the street, beacon, a couple of stationary pieces in our camp), and we don't have the time to deal with fuckin' placement, nor are we interested in institutionalizing our camp to a designated footprint. We like adopting people as the week goes on and becoming a blob.

We have 0.0% interest in any of the drama, any of the applications, any of the insitutionalization, and all of us are fans of the old-school suburbs. I hate using the term "old school" because I'm definitely a part of the new school, but one way in which Burning Man has fundamentally shifted with the adoption of the DGS is that there is a complete dearth of creativity in the suburbs compared to my first years, and to my longtime campmates (15+ years), the suburbs have never looked worse. We also consider part of our mission to be to bring life to J and K street.

There are totally valid reasons to stay out of DGS. We are going to stay out of it, permanently. No interest in participating with the Man. We all do enough of it for 6 to 8 hours per day on playa. No need to break our backs.

And yeah, I'm aware that there are placed camps outside of theme - art support, staff support, etc, and we've been offered support placement through various channels, but... no. We like freedom. We like having the ability to add 30 friends in August, or for 30 friends to go away, and to not have to stress about "oh but how will we please our placer so we can come back next year?"

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Ano, I whole-heartedly agree. For the first years, we had plenty of room to set up our small camp out at 3;30 and J. This last year, there was zero space available on Sunday morning. We found a spot out on K, and that was crowded. DGS is making the burn a theme-camp event, us lesser beings are being squeezed out. Our small 3 person camp takes on a few newbs every year, and we are the Playa Penguinos. We contribute to the playa in a direct way, and we spend maybe $3k on gifted drinks in deep playa in the afternoons during the days. We spend 5-6 hours a day doing this. We DO NOT want to be "placed". If we keep getting squeezed out, we will simply stop going. We don't need "theme-camp drama", dues, shifts, allotted space, placement, and passing some test every year. We have been moop green for 8 years. Seems to be the burn is a registered camp event now, even though some of those camps didn't seem to contribute much, IMHO. I wonder why they even sell main sale tickets anymore, as there is not really any open camping left now. All I see from newbs anymore is "what camp can I join". Solo camping is becoming a thing of the past.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:20 am

I was just reading through the Placement email. Every placed camp will now be in the WWW. They are talking about the printed book. I like it. Makes my scavenger hunt for friends easier. You can run, but.......

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Altahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Altahoe » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:46 am

:!: :!: :!:
jcliff wrote:
I was really impressed by Marian's article, for its honesty and its clarity on what the Org identifies as the challenges facing our community and how they can help mitigate them. I think at this point we have a case of trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube, but I also don't think the Org should be held liable for how they managed our evolution in the midst of rapidly changing technology over the last 10 years or so. Social media has exposed the masses to Burning Man, and unfortunately what's most often shared falls directly in line with social media in general.....make it look good. People don't go home and post photos of the inside of their tent filled with a half inch of dust, or a morning selfie taken when trying to navigate home while the dehydration and hangover is kicking in. Burning Man has captured the interest of a whole lot of people because of how well we photograph, rather than because of our community ethos. I don't like to tell people how to Burn, but I do think it's right for the Org to try and minimize the business opportunities for those that have exploited a niche market. Also okay for them to take a policy line against the exclusivity and insular nature of some of the turn-key camps.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:50 am

Ratty wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:20 am
I was just reading through the Placement email. Every placed camp will now be in the WWW. They are talking about the printed book. I like it. Makes my scavenger hunt for friends easier. You can run, but.......
Ratty, I for one have never hidden from you!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:16 am

Hey Doc, It's good to hear your voice. (In my head.) This is the traditional time of year that the 'wingnuts' come out with new, insightful ticket ideas. Sometimes they've been to one event and it's their first post on ePlaya. This year Marion has prompted lively discussions all across the internet.

Arthur Schopenhauer

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:08 am

Ratty wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:20 am
I was just reading through the Placement email. Every placed camp will now be in the WWW. They are talking about the printed book.
Thanks, that is great news! Presumably they will have a camp mission/description and a description of their interactivity. That allows the BRC community of some 80K to audit the camps. It also means the BMORG will need to up their capacity to digest feedback.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:29 am

WhWhWh Interactivity Entry for Every Placed Theme Camp & Village!

The WhatWhereWhen Team is excited to announce a new format for the 2019 WhatWhereWhen printed guide!
This year the WhatWhereWhen printed guide will include a short, 100-character interactivity description for every placed and publicly listed Theme Camp and Village. Your camp’s name and official address will be included. This will serve as a neighborhood guide for interactivity. We hope this will reduce the issue of camps experiencing large differences in foot traffic if their events did or did not make it into the printed WhatWhereWhen guide.
The size of the WhatWhereWhen printed guide is not changing. There will still be individual Playa Events included in the WhatWhereWhen. Announcements about Playa Events submissions will be shared in the Placement Newsletter.
Your 100 character description should focus on your camp’s primary interactivity. Example: Every afternoon - Life-size whack-a-mole & delicious mole sauce. Mon night - Moles & Spies party!

Arthur Schopenhauer

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:39 pm

This might be a case where the heading writer summarized a bit too much, since the detailed text could be read as indicating it'll only be for camps that choose to be listed. (Emphasis below is mine.)
Ratty wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:29 am
This year the WhatWhereWhen printed guide will include a short, 100-character interactivity description for every placed and publicly listed Theme Camp and Village.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Yeah, that “publicly listed” blip is wrenching the engine.

But then we have the “official address” part as well ...

So overall looks like the ‘seat of the pants’ on-Playa shuffling of placed camps should go down?

One can hope the map released before the event will have way less fuzzy and more defined boundaries for open camping.

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”