Cultural Course Correcting post by Marian Goodell

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Cultural Course Correcting post by Marian Goodell

Post by wraith » Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:20 pm
Now for some humor... how do we punish bad burner behavior? Well the BRCCP would have them doing hard labor in the FIgjam Cooler and Lag Screw Anchor Factory to make them for Burners Without Borders, overhauling playafied bikes, sorting moop, working in the lost and found call center, cleaning up the highways after the event and working in the outbound recycling and repurposing center.
I mean, it's pretty simple. Invalidate their ticket, throw them out, and bar them from attendance. God knows there's enough various cops on site to enforce it.

A few people getting very publicly bounced mid-event will rapidly change attitudes, and if not, well caveat emptor.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:39 pm
This might be a case where the heading writer summarized a bit too much, since the detailed text could be read as indicating it'll only be for camps that choose to be listed. (Emphasis below is mine.)
Ratty wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:29 am
This year the WhatWhereWhen printed guide will include a short, 100-character interactivity description for every placed and publicly listed Theme Camp and Village.
This needs more attention.

In my role as a long-time volunteer with EMS I have seen, year after year, the limited-distro, not-for-public-display maps of BRC that show many placed but unpublished camps; these camps are marked as such on the EMS maps, with instructions not to share this information. I have often studied the maps and wondered: Who are these secret camps? And how the fuck do they get PLACED in such prime spots when they are so OBVIOUSLY not participating in our community in an honest and open way?

Exactly what role do these secret camps play into our "corrected" culture???
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:23 pm

To MDF,

I have been promoting anonymity as the 12th principle, after consent.

I'm friends of family of one of two startup students back when they were 2 minivans with a blue tarp between them. They camped near the Oregon Country Fair camp which had the only Internet connection. Once they were successful, we could never meet at their camp per their security advisors.

All of our security EIS nonsense is because individuals are not sufficiently anonymous and anonymously located.

I'm also close with the Tuna Guys. Very humble and fun working people who would be overwhelmed with visitors beyond their community. The BORG understands that.

I always thought that the event would end with a liability event, a tragic death with litigious family, or a wildfire in the camping areas, but now I'm more concerned about it being destroyed by celebrity or government VIP security, noted in some of my posts.

I'm awed by all the infrastructure camps. ESD has responded to life emergencies I found, and graciously treated me for electrolyte depletion. But there is a good argument that it would be a distraction to have people finding and wandering into infrastructure camps asking for a job, distracting them or disrupting their recharging.

All in my opinion, of course.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Tiger Man Camp is placed but not publicly listed. Our gifts are scheduled with the placement team but not published. There are only 4 or 5 of us. We will install 50 or so foam and fur seat covers this year. We'll adjust your seat height, check the tires, tighten the chain if necessary and fix your butt. We have about 200 or 300 hats to gift. All styles. A dozen pockets to hang on your belt. Three dozen laminated decoupage art pieces to be set up in an impromptu gallery. And the list goes on. We do it anytime some one is in camp. We interact and gift. People are happy. We don't have a specific schedule but we work at it till everything is gone.

This is just one weird reason not to be listed. I'm sure there are others.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:03 am

So the BMorg decided to give Forbes an article advertising Burner art to the wealthy. I didn't read the article but I assume it's the BMorgs terms for complete surrender on the cultural change of direction front. At least they can keep feeding us peons their assurance we are all in this together. Why advertise more? As if we need more attention. The org completely sells out yet asks us to fight for what culture?
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:33 am

Mr Lonesomebri, I agree that the BORG should go dark on mass media. No need to seek more ticket buyers. The idea of collecting Burning Man art as an investment is mental. It works best as public art, compensating artists for living and production expenses.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:17 am

I did this new and amazing thing and actually took a few minutes to read the article before deciding what was in it.

It's just a garden variety puff piece describing some of the 2019 honoraria grant art installations. The reporter contacted the artists involved in creating them, and then wrote up a couple of paragraphs about each of them. The author is careful to identify each and every artist he quotes in the pieces. In contrast, nobody from the org is quoted, and there is no indication that the org helped facilitate it in any way.

Sure, he probably tracked them down using the contact info on the Honoraria awards list that the org publishes on the main website. But that's hardly "giving Forbes an article advertising burner art to the wealthy".

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met

Post by Grumpy Otter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Thank you Papa Bear

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Papa Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:17 am
I did this new and amazing thing and actually took a few minutes to read the article before deciding what was in it.
Get back to us when the org tells you what to be upset about with the cultural direction. Thanks.
- Voltaire, Candide

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:24 pm
Get back to us when the org tells you what to be upset about with the cultural direction. Thanks.
I don't take marching orders from anyone, including the org. I think I'll just stick to calling out obvious lazy bullshit when I see it. You're welcome.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Should people be able to sell the Burn experience? Build a camp and sell the space. Sell "home", like some sort of airbnb? That's the elephant in the board betraying any talk of real cultural direction. There is a philosophical difference in what culture we are fighting for. Not a issue of confusion or need for enlightenment. We have fundamental differences in what we believe regarding the Burn, home, capitalism, exploitation, etc. Not the $5 transformative words these cats throw around.

From the Burn website. They ain't shamed of this at all, it's the current design. Or maybe Forbes slipped this into Chip's resume on the official website without anyone noticing? Some people just might buy that.

"Chip and his company’s time-tested techniques have been featured in TIME, Fast Company, Fortune, People and The Wall Street Journal."

Someone wanna explain to me what techniques this this board member uses? We see that technique unleashed on playa, and complain about me not liking Forbes....
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”