Does this qualify as a cultural direction issue? It should.

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Does this qualify as a cultural direction issue? It should.

Post by alt12 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Exclusive: Burning Man is supposed to be a safe space. Sexual assault survivors say it's not
The Playa is a "lions' den" where security responds to sex crime scenes by trying to sniff out "consent accidents"

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/17/exclus ... y-its-not/

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Does this qualify as a cultural direction issue? It should.

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Wow good article. Thank you

Bmorg best get their shit together, how shameful you are.

Will Roger, ewww just fucking ewww pos
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri May 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Absolutely. I can guarantee you my gen z friends are active and speak loudly about this on playa and off. It's been one of my ePlaya topics.

It's up to us to shape the culture at the event. As for the organizers, many colleges over the last 15 years have "come to Jesus" on this topic.

Burning Man is a business. It markets itself as changing the world, literally. That is why consent is an obvious add to the 10 principles. Putting it in the principles creates more opportunities for participants to discuss it, internalize it, and externalize it.

Some people theorize that the organizers do some things to minimize liability and cost. Putting consent in the principles doesn't create liability and costs nothing.

(The article is a long read, it helps me to arrange it in my mind in chronological order from 2003 to present)
Last edited by some seeing eye on Fri May 17, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Has it gotten worse with the expansion of first timers in more theme camps?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 am

FIGJAM wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm
I'd propose it's gotten worse, due to the PnP camps. Some of them are down right "traps", enticing "hot" people in with free and fun stuff...and exclusivity...And the "owners" within, often live a "teflon" life in default, so see it as just as extension of "I have money and power, I can do what I want"...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 am

I suspected as much.

And you knew just what I was getting at even though I was being vague on purpose to see if anybody noticed the same thing. :D

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 pm

ygmir wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 am
FIGJAM wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm
I'd propose it's gotten worse, due to the PnP camps. Some of them are down right "traps", enticing "hot" people in with free and fun stuff...and exclusivity...And the "owners" within, often live a "teflon" life in default, so see it as just as extension of "I have money and power, I can do what I want"...
Totally agree. There is sizable contingent of PnP camps where the "owners" basically view Burning Man as a fuck-fest. They're old rich white men. They bring prostitutes with them and they troll for young girls. It's fucking disgusting but that exists in the default world too.

Ponderosa
Burning Since: 1998

Post by Ponderosa » Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks for posting this article. The revelation that known sexual predator sits on the Burning Man board, with what appears to be the full support of other organizers, is sickening. The leadership sure seems to be much more interested in covering their own asses than preventing sexual assault and supporting victims.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon May 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Hold on, put away the pitchforks.

It is hard to imagine today, especially for newer burners, that the culture of the DPW in its early days was a lot of drinking and a lot of fighting. Absent evidence of incidents since, I would not make the judgements, generalizations, and apply labels that others are doing based a DPW fight in 2003.

In fact, as a virgin, I was warned by my experienced burner friend to stay far away from DPW because that is what they did after busting ass building the city for free: pick fights at any slight, get inebriated, and use heavy equipment to get revenge in destructive ways.

I think we need to get a focus on now.

Today, and really for some time, the BORG has been headed by a woman, there are many department heads that are women, and the staff represents women well. They are busy with firefights and the EIS. What we are asking is that they spend more time on this issue with the relevant departments and on participant education.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ponderosa
Burning Since: 1998

Post by Ponderosa » Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 pm

The article details much more than a 2003 "fight" where Roger badly injured a woman.

The author of the article spoke to a women who said she was raped by Roger.

The article details an email from a woman to Burning Man leaders about being violently sexually assaulted by Roger. Larry Harvey responded to the email and appeared to believe the woman, though he characterized it as, "a drinking problem that produced bad behavior."

DPW crew members wrote a letter in 2003 complaining about years of sexual misconduct from Roger. They contend that the women who complained were ignored or virtually blackballed.

This kind of behavior is a lot more serious than drinking and fighting. It's predatory, it's criminal, and complaints have come from numerous sources. As for focusing "on now," Roger still sits on the board.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed May 22, 2019 5:55 am

Amazon will be testing it's drone delivery program in the Sparks/Reno are.

ALL your playa needs at the push of a button!!! :roll:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Well, at least there is some new stuff on this subject.

https://journal.burningman.org/2019/08/ ... rock-city/

Not the best work in terms of writing and coherence, but good to see progress on additional resources.

Almost has an air of a bunch of lawyers dumping as much data as possible to reduce liability, but then again, I am rather cynical ...

The main BM page has a much better flow on this:

https://burningman.org/event/preparatio ... isconduct/

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:59 am

Putting something into the Ten Principals would accomplish nothing. They’re completely ignored already.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:36 pm

We have our first Class A felony charge of 2019. Not a good start.

https://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/bur ... 105710001/

Paywall but they give you 3 free articles so hope the cite is OK.

“A man arrested by Pershing County Sheriff's deputies at the Burning Man site on Thursday faces charges of sexual assault and false imprisonment.

Oleg Gennadievich Ivanov currently is in custody at the Pershing County Jail with a bail set at $152,500, according to Pershing County Sheriff Jerry Allen.

Sexual assault is a category A felony, the most serious type of felony under Nevada law. Sexual assault is defined as when one person forces sexual penetration upon another under Nevada law.

False imprisonment, a category B felony, is the confinement or detention of someone without legal authority.”

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”