Placement 2019-2020

A forum for community conversation and deeper discussions about the cultural direction of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Placement 2019-2020

Post by some seeing eye » Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Mods feel free to move.

https://email.burningman.org/t/ViewEmai ... C46EB9B960

""...
Dear Esteemed Camp Community,

The Camp Placement Questionnaire closed on April 25 and the Placement Team saw the most questionnaires in Burning Man history. 1914 submissions, which is a 24% increase from 2018! For the first time, there’s not enough room for everyone wishing to be placed. It’s a moment we’ve anticipated for a while, but has arrived sooner than we expected.

How Did We All Get Here?

A majority of people used to arrive to Burning Man, find a spot in open camping, negotiate boundaries with their neighbors, build their temporary homes, and provide engagement and interactivity to the community. Perhaps that’s how your camp started.

As the city grew, so did camps. People got more organized and logistics got more complex, so reserving space and early access became more highly desired. When tickets sold out for the first time in 2011, Directed Group Sales tickets were created to maintain cohesive communities for theme camps and to provide them with reliable access to the event. Placement has evolved over time to mean much more than just getting a home address on playa.

Today, the Placement Team dedicates thousands of volunteer hours each year to assess Camp Placement Questionnaires and help camps understand the placement criteria. We’ve found historically that most camps are trying their best to do it right, address issues that arise, and that between 90-95% of camps qualify for Placement under our current criteria. In 2018, 1,541 camps requested placement, 1,471 camps were placed, and 70 camps did not receive placement. In 2017, 1,524 camps requested placement, 1,395 camps placed, and 129 camps did not receive placement.

What Placement is Doing This Year

This year there are 232 more theme camps and 17 more villages seeking placement than there were in 2018. Most of these new camps are small and medium sized with populations less than 40 people. Combined, we estimate that they represent approximately 10,000 Black Rock Citizens. These numbers show that much of the growth is being driven by open campers who wish to become placed camps.

When we looked at the total number of people represented across all camp questionnaires this year, the combined population ranges from 76,000 to 98,000. That figure is more people than the event’s population cap allows, and leaves no room for people who plan to be in open camping or walk-in camping. It’s reasonable to conclude that camps are hedging their bets with unrealistic camp sizes.

In past years, Placement had the space to move placed camps out further toward L street, while still maintaining reasonable amounts of open camping. You’ve probably noticed this trend with more blue flags on the back blocks of our city each year.

This year, Placement cannot expand the amount of available space, DGS tickets, and Work Access Passes to meet the full demand without toppling the entire system. We considered several options for addressing the issue:

Add more streets, which may be cost prohibitive and would not solve the underlying problem given the total population of BRC remains capped at 70,000 paid participants. Also, the 2019 city plan already adds an additional 50’ radially across the entire city to accommodate density.

Hold the proportion of placed vs. open camping square footage at 2018 levels (approximately 22% of the city), which would mean over 300 camps not receiving placement. We do not have additional established criteria to use to make those decisions and do not feel it’s right to suddenly not place camps who meet our existing criteria.

Continue to place all camps that meet Placement’s existing criteria with the understanding that, in order to maintain open camping as a viable option, we will need to overhaul the system for 2020.

We think the best approach, in order to be the least disruptive to camps planning to attend Black Rock City this year, is to go with the third option. The Placement Team is holding camps to the same expectations we always have, and will continue to build vibrant and interesting neighborhoods in even more parts of the city. We’ll do this while preserving open camping in 2019, though the amount of space left for open camping will be reduced from 2018 levels.

Open campers may feel pinched from losing space; camps expecting placement may feel slighted if they’re not placed. We’re asking you to help make this year’s approach work, and more importantly, need your support to map the long term solutions to this new reality. Together, we all will have to make some hard changes necessary to make this system sustainable.

Placement’s Future

This turning point will require the best and most creative thinking from our community, and we hope you’ll give some thought to this challenge, and will share your ideas when the time comes to design a new system. Some of the things we’ll be considering as we design a new process include:

The Black Rock City Cultural Direction Setting process: Many of you have engaged in this process over the past nine months through surveys, community conversations, and the Theme Camp Symposium. We appreciate how much our community has stepped up to think about how placement and open camping impact our culture, how much of residential BRC is pre-planned, and the role of the Placement Team. Any changes to the placement process will be grounded in the collective vision created through this collaborative process.

How Placement distributes DGS tickets: The Directed Group Sale was designed to help theme camps and critical projects get access to a limited number of tickets for their core teams, to ensure their projects and plans were feasible. With the steady increase of the number of camps and projects, we no longer have enough DGS tickets to maintain a reliable core for all placed theme camps, and know that one motivation for a camp to get placement is to receive ticket access through a directed rather than an open sale process.

We understand the core need for camps to receive blocks of tickets in order to plan for and participate in Burning Man, and we want to continuing meeting that need. That being said, 2019 placed theme camps are not guaranteed 2020 DGS tickets based on the existing system’s rules. We will announce our approach for 2020 tickets for camps as soon as we can in the fall of 2019.

How our community holds camps accountable: The Placement Team is limited in size so we rely on the community and neighbors to tell us about your experiences with each other’s camps. More than ever, we need to know what’s actually happening on the ground and for neighbors to hold each other to the standards of interactivity we all expect and to uphold the Ten Principles. We don’t want to just know about who’s doing it wrong, but who’s really doing it right.

Our Placement criteria: While our existing criteria has been a great foundation to assess camps and teach new camps how to come into the fold, we will be considering additional criteria to better differentiate camps. These criteria and metrics could include uniqueness, innovation, environmental sustainability, diversity, self-sufficiency, capacity, quality, history, and size.

This year’s theme of Metamorphoses is quite fitting for the turning point for Placement. As a community, we have the chance to pause, reflect, and re-conceive this critical piece of how people experience Black Rock City for many years to come.​

How you can help immediately:

If your camp requested placement this year mainly to receive access to 2020 DGS tickets, and you really don’t have a developed theme camp or team, please consider withdrawing your questionnaire in order to make space for others. We want all placed camps to make genuine contributions and provide interactivity to the community, not just camps doing the minimum in order to receive future tickets.

Know that bigger is not necessarily better, and that our culture is also about celebrating the small. Maybe you overestimated your camp size in your questionnaire or thought it would look impressive to be as big as you can. Maybe you had a big dream that you’re realizing you can’t pull off without the right amount of people in your camp. Now’s the time to update us and correct the size of your camp by emailing the Placement Team at placement...burningman.org.

Remind people seeking camps that open camping is still an option. Theme camps should also consider forming in open camping without reserved placement. Some of the most serendipitous meetings, interesting interactions, and strongest communities occur in open camping.

Change can feel unnerving, but I’m confident we’ll land in a better place. This is our chance to build an even better Black Rock City. The Placement Team remains committed to co-creating a vibrant city for all of us, and to uphold the Ten Principles in all of our decision-making. We’re here to help Black Rock City camps and neighborhoods continue to be the heartbeat of the Burn.

With gratitude,

Level, Placement Manager, Burning Man Project

With support from:

Marian Goodell, CEO of Burning Man Project
Charlie Dolman, Black Rock City Event Director
Harley K. Dubois, Chief Transition Officer and Founder of Placement
Trippi Longstocking, Associate Director and former Placement Manager
The Placement Team

If you have a question about your camp questionnaire, camp placement decisions, Directed Group Sale, Work Access Passes, etc. – email the Placement Team at placement...burningman.org. Anyone can subscribe to the Placement Newsletter here.

If you have a question about the internal workings of camps or want support in addressing a camp challenge (i.e. build, food, acculturation, logistics, interactivity, frontage, leave no trace, camp finances, camper participation, leadership, etc) – email the Camp Development & Support Team at campsupport...burningman.org.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Placement 2019-2020

Post by Ratty » Thu May 23, 2019 1:18 pm

This email didn't come as a shock. We all knew that something had to change. (Change is good.) I'm glad to see the concern for open camping. Let the whinning begin. I would like to know how many camps withdraw their application.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Last year was brutal for those of us who enjoy open camping in the suburbs. I was in the city less than an hour after the gates opened and already the vast majority of open camping was being held. This year is gonna be tough for us peons.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Thu May 23, 2019 1:59 pm

ALL PnP camps should be cut from the list starting this year, there's a STEP in the right direction just to start.

Imagine all of that empty real estate to be snatched up by real campers at gate opening.

Oh yeah and that entire outer (enormous) block or two of city that was dedicated solely to OSS and their kin profiting at BM, do away with those worthless neighbors as well this year.

If any OSS still needs to be out there, let them set up their own commerce block detached from the city like the shitter processing plant or the hell gas station.

They're there to make money anyways, not burn.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:22 pm

After finding close to zero space for open camping last year on Sunday morning, I figured this was the way it was going. Become a member of someone elses' camp, or tough luck. I see. I simply don't want to be part of some theme camp, don't need drama while at the burn. I guess walk-in is about all that is left. Oh well.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Jackass wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:59 pm
ALL PnP camps should be cut from the list starting this year, there's a STEP in the right direction just to start.

Imagine all of that empty real estate to be snatched up by real campers at gate opening.

Oh yeah and that entire outer (enormous) block or two of city that was dedicated solely to OSS and their kin profiting at BM, do away with those worthless neighbors as well this year.

If any OSS still needs to be out there, let them set up their own commerce block detached from the city like the shitter processing plant or the hell gas station.

They're there to make money anyways, not burn.
+10000
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu May 23, 2019 6:20 pm

I wonder what might be cost prohibitive or the cost of adding another street? I understand it takes time, personnel and materials to pull off. I wonder if there are other costs?
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 pm

How many theme camps have had to kick somebody out mid-week because of drama or camp rules?

What percentage of camps are going to have this issue and where will these "refugees" go?

Will it mean leaving the playa because there's no place else to set up?

The ten principals leave plenty of leeway for creativity without the extra rules of a theme camp.

Going to the Burn with no expectations used to be a mantra, but if the camp has expectations of YOU, being expelled will now have to be planed for.

Tsk fucking tsk!!! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu May 23, 2019 10:10 pm

FIGJAM wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 pm
How many theme camps have had to kick somebody out mid-week because of drama or camp rules?

What percentage of camps are going to have this issue and where will these "refugees" go?

Will it mean leaving the playa because there's no place else to set up?

The ten principals leave plenty of leeway for creativity without the extra rules of a theme camp.

Going to the Burn with no expectations used to be a mantra, but if the camp has expectations of YOU, being expelled will now have to be planed for.

Tsk fucking tsk!!! :roll:
Really? That happens? Speaking personally, I have never experienced that happening and could never imagine it happening in the future. At least not with our camp, which is the only one I've ever camped with.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm

I've seen it happen in the past and I think with all the newbies looking for camps, if not properly vetted, it could be a real problem.

Especially with PnP camps that don't care.

Camp leads have to have that power, but it would be easy to abuse.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Yes, this happens.

I've seen it, four times, over the years.
Different camps, different reasons; all of them consent related, none of which should have required any 'extra rules' in the camp manifesto.

People can be really weird and entitled, out there.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri May 24, 2019 5:06 am

A6E16063-B353-4E8C-8C88-4DDEEFFB6231.jpeg
A6E16063-B353-4E8C-8C88-4DDEEFFB6231.jpeg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri May 24, 2019 6:08 am

gaminwench wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 pm
Yes, this happens.

I've seen it, four times, over the years.
Different camps, different reasons; all of them consent related, none of which should have required any 'extra rules' in the camp manifesto.

People can be really weird and entitled, out there.
Weirds ok.

Entitled, not so welcome.

I would like to see enough open camping for ALL first years to set up so they can get a real feel for BRC.

Then if they find camps they click with, they could join the next year.

I like most of the villages and theme camps I've visited, but too much of anything ain't healthy.

I've been invited to join several, but history shows that I have the ability to unintentionally piss people off and I could see myself inadvertently having to move camp.

At my age I have the energy to set up and take down once, but if I had to move...….where?

I just think these new ideas are going to create a new problem that wouldn't exist with MORE open camping.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am

I was with a placed camp and had early entry work passes in '12 and '13. Even then there was plenty of open camping so I never gave it a second thought.

This year, I was looking forward to camping solo. Now I'm wondering if I should rethink my plans and see about joining back up with my old camp or another.

It kind of bums me out that the direction of the event is discouraging the solo campers and small groups. Some of us don't need anyone's help to be fucking awesome on the playa, nor do we need the structure and responsibilities that come with a big group.

Some of the greatest interactivity and gifting I've come across has been with solo campers or small unplaced groups. I hope that, if we meet, you'll find me to be the same!

For now...that's still the plan.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri May 24, 2019 12:13 pm

My take is that the law of unintended consequences has bitten the BORG in the butt. I'm pro virgins joining camps with experienced burners so they can be acculturated. I think that was part of the motivation for DGS. Of course a camp of all virgins doesn't do that. The lack of acculturation leads to all kinds of unburner-like bad festival behaviors.

I certainly agree that it is the responsibility of camps to replace dues transaction mentality with camp participation mentality.

When I see "we are a group of 10 virgins flying in from X," I imagine a group had the time off from work and set up multiple accounts and ran multiple computers to get their tickets. Where does that group fit in culturally?

I hope Placement has ordered up a high resolution satellite image and overlaid it with the map. Should we have vast parking lots between 10 and 12 beyond the outer street? A look at the satellite map would show how much camping space could be gained. Of course there is a safety issue moving the cars to and from the camp, inbound and outbound.

I'm looking forward to whatever new interactivity standard evolves, just having an open bar doesn't seem to be enough to me.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

jcliff
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 am

I think one of the fundamental challenges for the Placement crew is that camps routinely over-inflate their population on their application and are given way more real estate than they actually need. And....these camps always seem to be the ones that watch every boundary flag like hawks to make sure that no one encroaches on their property. In a perfect world the Placement team would have enough volunteers to do some sweeps to make sure that placed camps have a population that warrants their square footage, and if they don't, Placers would have the power to move flags and open up space to folks looking for spots.

Another issue....placed camps and villages shouldn't be allowed to have vehicles parked in their playa-state unless people are living in them. It's a waste of space to use chunks of camp areas as parking lots. There's tons of space out by Greeters to park cars for the duration of the Burn. For years Lamplighters hasn't allowed any cars parked in our Village, they're all put out at Greeters parking. From the wide open space in that area, we may be one of the only camps that utilizes it for vehicles.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat May 25, 2019 5:17 am

you’re right.

valet parking would be fucking awesome...
Frida Be You & Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat May 25, 2019 9:12 am

BRC 2013 - Population 69600 or thereabouts.
1056 placed camps.

BRC 2019 - Population Cap 70000
1750+ camps and 17 additional villages requested placement!

What the fuck happened?!

Whose head got wedged into a rectum and for how long?

The unintended consequences of DGS.

How about next year you go for broke, kill DGS and go general sale for EVERYONE before 2019 ends, then force folks who get tickets to get creative, cozy and become a cultural experiment again?

It’s not like you’re ever gonna not sell out again.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am

jcliff. Lamplighters does WHAT!? The Placers/Borg tried a parking lot approach but found the vandalism, moop and human waste was too much for them. ALl vehicles must be parked in your camp.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 am

If you take a big chunk of real estate, something needs to be poppin off consistent with the size.

Pay for your piece of ground with interactivity!!!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat May 25, 2019 9:40 am

90-95% of requests are granted.

For Maths, let’s call that 92.5%

Not counting Villages ...

1750 x .925 = 1618 placed camps.

32000 DGS tickets.

Divide the two numbers and you get ~ 20 tickets per placed camp on average.

32000 / 1618 =~ 20

So please tell me, what kind of fucking awesome could you build out there in 3 days with 20 gung-ho core builders?

The 12th principal: Radical Clusterfuck.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat May 25, 2019 3:02 pm

27A40B9B-980A-47A9-86D1-B2C7A207CCC5.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat May 25, 2019 9:39 pm

Reading that letter, I got the feeling that somehow they are not aware that their own actions have caused every problem they now face.

Despite being told exactly what would happen.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 26, 2019 6:08 am

maladroit wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:39 pm
Reading that letter, I got the feeling that somehow they are not aware that their own actions have caused every problem they now face.

Despite being told exactly what would happen.
well, this certainly applies to a heckuva lot of the world’s problems right now doesn’t it...

Frida Be You & Me

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:27 am

Token wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:40 am

32000 DGS tickets.

32000 / 1618 =~ 20

So please tell me, what kind of fucking awesome could you build out there in 3 days with 20 gung-ho core builders?

I love that the math works out to ~60% of participant tickets and 90% of real estate. :mrgreen:

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2022
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:19 am

Token wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:40 am

32000 DGS tickets.

32000 / 1618 =~ 20

The math of the placement success rate & DGS ticket distribution makes me feel like the biggest sucker ever for being content with being a suburb dweller. I should've put in for placement years ago. I've been feeling the squeeze the past several years when trying to find my 20'x40' sliver of real estate in the open camping area & it's looking like this year will be worse than ever. Do you think the org will mind if we set up camp on the open playa beyond L Street?

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:47 am

ACfromSAC wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:19 am

... Do you think the org will mind if we set up camp on the open playa beyond L Street?
Mail the request to Placement, they may make next ring
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:04 am

Token wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:12 am

BRC 2019 - Population Cap 70000
1750+ camps and 17 additional villages requested placement!

What the fuck happened?!
Are you kidding me with that 2019 map of open camping?!?!

Keeps getting worse and worse!

ORG should have open camping for solo or small groups in better locations!

Return to “Black Rock City Cultural Direction”