2020 BRC Event Canceled

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

2020 BRC Event Canceled

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:52 pm

increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

RisenPhoenix71
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Xuza

Re: 2020 BRC Event Canceled

Post by RisenPhoenix71 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:06 pm

Big huge bummer :-(

Looking to the virtual event to see what that might be.
Then, trying to figure out how to recover the 2DGS + vehicle pass $ cuz I'm a broke ass on the unemployed rolls not too.

Grumpy Otter
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp We Just Met/Various Delights

Post by Grumpy Otter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:33 pm

This is probably the most positive outcome for cancellation. Refunds will be made and people can reset their plans and redirect their efforts while time still exists for good choices. I am looking forward to what can be done in creating virtual BRC. And having the choice of giving money to BM instead of just keeping what had been paid (entrusted) to them is so much more in keeping with what I see as the ideals of the venture we all participate in. I hope there will be enough donations to allow continuity and a well grounded return once we can get beyond this crisis.

RisenPhoenix71
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: Xuza

Post by RisenPhoenix71 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes, I agree. I'm over here considering only refunding the extra camp ticket since the rest was 'spent' to create the city in my mind. And, considering all the travel expense that will be saved, the price of the ticket (BRC building fund donation) is the least expensive thing about going home. )'(

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Why in the hell should the regular working stiffs (most of us) donate our hard-earned money so the Org can pay all those $200,000 salaries?

Wow... that’s marketing.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

AlexMN1984

Post by AlexMN1984 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 pm

"60% of the work we do is dedicated to the year-round cultural programs." What does "60% of the work" mean? 60% of the org's expenditures?

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Post by wraith » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:15 am

AlexMN1984 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 pm
"60% of the work we do is dedicated to the year-round cultural programs." What does "60% of the work" mean? 60% of the org's expenditures?
It means they got way overambitious trying to bankroll turning a party in the desert into a cultural movement.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:06 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:04 pm
Why in the hell should the regular working stiffs (most of us) donate our hard-earned money so the Org can pay all those $200,000 salaries?

Wow... that’s marketing.
That's surprising. Especially for a non-profit.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:26 am

AlexMN1984 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:50 pm
Dr-Yes at burn.life did a rough financial analysis.

Maybe they are referring to 60% of travel, 60% of new hires, or 60% of new projects, like the cultural course correction.

As for the Captain's comment, our society is so lacking in family/community, people are willing to work for free and pay to get it. That model has been copied by dozens of event companies in my area.

Nephilim

Post by Nephilim » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 am

And so it shall be, the organization with the sacred precept of de-commodification will draw it's next breath from a community that exemplifies it.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:41 am

Her fake overdone smile creeps me out.
I can’t take anything she says seriously.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:51 pm

I'm a little sad, but not surprised--and very relieved. New York hasn't hit their peak yet, and the count is still rising. So the wisdom of planning to have 70,000 people together from all over the world in a high-hugging, low-hand-washing environment for a week plus, and then having them disperse home :shock: . . . did not seem very wise to me. It's the only responsible choice.

I feel confident that the people who need refunds will ask for them, and the people who can easily absorb the loss might also do so. There's a sizable divide between the two groups at this point.

From a personal standpoint, all my volunteer shifts involve close contact with people recovering from literally everything. I was really eyeing that possibility quite critically, as I'm already in a high risk geographical area, and a moderately high-risk profession (but not on the front lines, mind you). I have risk factors like anyone else. Ethnic group, childhood health.

I've been working from home since mid-March (& I count myself extremely lucky). My workplace will probably not be able to get back to normal work before July. So . . . I kinda felt it in the wind.

It's sad, but we're all much safer for it.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:08 am

It is a good idea to cancel the event this year. I think we are all being optimistic thinking this pandemic is going to be over by June or July.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:19 pm

Why can't the 2020 ticket buyers have the option of using their bought tickets, for the hopeful 2021 event?

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:03 pm

Coronavirus is a reality that needs responsible attention. It is also giving wildlife fresher air to breath and more space roam. There is a little less then 18 months to understand the good, and deal with the adversity of this currently overwhelming situation. If 2021 turns into a smaller event with moonwalkers roaming the desert, it is still a much needed fact of "Radical Self Reliance."

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:01 pm

It's good that they're going to start over with ticket sales. Who knows whether the camps for which DGS tickets were issued would be upholding their end of the bargain with respect to having a camp worthy of receiving DGS tickets.

Plus, it'd be a huge pain in the ass to deal with another year worth of tickets that are in limbo. They'd have to maintain mechanisms to cancel tickets and transfer them, etc.

And anyway, if people qualified this year to get the tickets in the DGS sale, they probably can qualify next year.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 am

In related news, the Oregon Country Fair may cancel after 50 continuous years. 2020 would be the 51st year.

It is a little different than BRC, with few to no international visitors and a lot of children. But many of the Fair crowd became involved in BRC early. The Oregon Country Fair Camp brought the first Internet to the playa and the early users of the Internet there were the Google founders.

The Oregon Country Fair owns their own land and is also different, with food and craft vending. The vendors and volunteers camp and have epic night parties after the paying day guests leave. The vendors have to maintain their crafts and build hippie structures to sell them to receive placement each year. There is a lot of performance, it has a spectator orientation.

https://www.oregoncountryfair.org/news/

Heidi_xxx
Burning Since: 2021

Post by Heidi_xxx » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 am

What's the likelihood of a 2021 event do you guys think? Burning mans one of those things thats always been on my bucket list but thought i'd have plenty of time to go. Now stuff is being cancelled and everythings changing I'm not sure 70,000 people will be allowed to gather again for the foreseeable future. I worry about the restrictions on freedom going forward

lucky420
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:48 am

“restrictions on freedom going forward”

BM isn’t really all that much about freedom. Lots of restrictions actually. I’m mean you can walk down the street naked but if any kids and LEO are around at the same time, you could actually get fined/arrested. You can’t do drugs openly. You can’t have sex out in the open. You can’t drive more than 5 mph. You can’t bring your pets (good call). No guns (good call during the event).

There’s been lots of folks camping up there this year and actually not having the big sponsored burn is more freedom because; less LEO, who aren’t a fan of the org and have been pretty relaxed and friendly with folks camping there.

People have been bringing art, art cars, lasers, dj’s out there since late summers “cancelled man”
If you can’t get to the big burn for whatever reason, regionals are pretty fun.

I have no idea if it will happen, maybe if a viable valid vaccine is developed and available by early spring. It takes months to put on the big party. I’m planning to go either way. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:16 pm

I apologize for sounding bitchy.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:16 pm
I apologize for sounding bitchy.
You have to sound bitchy before you can apologize for it.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:11 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 pm
That sounded a little bitchy.

Freedom: should that include the freedom to infect others with something that may kill them or their loved ones?
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:15 am

Canoe wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:11 am
Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 pm
That sounded a little bitchy.
But it wasn’t an apology

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 am

Hahahahaha morning guys :coffee: ^^
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:55 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ve-refunds
organisers of global dance festival refuse to cancel – or give refunds

Thousands of people from around the world partying for 10 days in the middle of the Argentinian wilderness sounds like an ambitious endeavour even before Covid-19. But a global pandemic has done little to sway organisers of the Global Eclipse –Patagonia Gathering, who are determined to charge ahead and refusing to refund ticket holders. ...

The event has been in the works for three years, with a huge number of fans purchasing tickets before Covid-19. Organisers are refusing to provide refunds on the grounds that the festival has not been cancelled, despite there being no way for the vast majority of ticket holders – including those in Australia – to attend. ...

Global Eclipse Inc stated they were unable to provide full refunds. “We’ve had requests to ‘refund the money’ but it’s not possible to retrieve sunk costs for labour, and niche physical assets are not easy to sell in the downtrodden Argentine economy,” ...

The event is being held near the small town of Las Coloradas, which has a population of under 1,000 and is four hours from the nearest major city. The festival’s website also boasts about the site’s lack of mobile reception, raising questions on how effective communication would be in the event of an outbreak.

In an email, the organisers note, “the site is ready to host thousands of safely distanced people”. Calwell said this decision made her doubt the company’s philosophy. “I think that it really brings to light the question of their integrity and how much they actually do care about their attendees if you’re putting people at risk like that.” ...
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”