In the event of cancellation...

Want to talk about tickets, vehicle passes or the Burning Man box office? You've come to the right place.
ryfi
Burning Since: 2019

In the event of cancellation...

Post by ryfi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:18 pm

So, as the administration said today they expect this thing to be around til at least Jul-Aug. If the event gets cancelled, is there any indication from the Org if there will be refunds on tickets, or that the tickets will be used for 2021? Was planning on participating in the FOMO sale Wednesday, but if a cancellation means I'm out that money, I will just wait for next year.

Thoughts?

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Re: In the event of cancellation...

Post by XPTom » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:21 pm

Nevada has closed schools K-12 until April..... but hasn't closed brothels. My crystal ball is broke. I give up.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:48 pm

The future is the hardest thing to predict.

In past years, the ticket fine print has said no refunds.

There are a huge number of hidden moving interlocking parts, that are only known to the organizers, each with their own timelines, to make the event happen. They do have money in the bank, which is good for long term survival of the event.

People who have been going longer than I have believe that secondary market tickets may be more available in August than past years. But they are only useful if you can buy them securely from a person you already know and trust.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

surfnturf

Post by surfnturf » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:16 pm

For my business, I go to a lot of professional meetings and trade shows. Most have been cancelled due to COVID-19 and have refunded any registration fees. Some that are scheduled this summer encourage folks to register and clearly state the registration will be refunded if the event is cancelled. I am happy to support Burning Man with the higher priced tickets in the FOMO sale and am thankful I have the ability to do that. But, like every other organization with the same degree of uncertainty, it seems the Org could provide some statement as to refunds prior to the FOMO sale. If there are, in fact, "no refunds" even with a virus-relate cancellation, then they should state that...or even if they are thinking about them...that would help. Can we have some guidance please? Thanks

Lightspeed
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Post by Lightspeed » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:52 am

surfnturf wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:16 pm
For my business, I go to a lot of professional meetings and trade shows. Most have been cancelled due to COVID-19 and have refunded any registration fees. Some that are scheduled this summer encourage folks to register and clearly state the registration will be refunded if the event is cancelled. I am happy to support Burning Man with the higher priced tickets in the FOMO sale and am thankful I have the ability to do that. But, like every other organization with the same degree of uncertainty, it seems the Org could provide some statement as to refunds prior to the FOMO sale. If there are, in fact, "no refunds" even with a virus-relate cancellation, then they should state that...or even if they are thinking about them...that would help. Can we have some guidance please? Thanks
100%
----------------------------------------------------------
I love SilverGirl70's Modified Monkey Hut for Kodiak & Shiftpod!

xmoanix
Burning Since: 2013

Post by xmoanix » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:00 pm

I agree. It would be nice to have some updates about what may come. Main sale starts in few weeks, or will it be pushed back? :shock: :?:

ryfi

Post by ryfi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:24 pm

xmoanix wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:00 pm
I agree. It would be nice to have some updates about what may come. Main sale starts in few weeks, or will it be pushed back? :shock: :?:
Well, I just got tickets in the FOMO sale. They sent out an email yesterday before the sale that stated:
Thank you for registering for the FOMO Sale.

We recognize it may feel odd going forward with a ticket sale at such a strange and difficult time. And yet, we believe we will be able to build our beloved city in the desert this August, so we are continuing to plan and prepare. Here is our statement on the coronavirus, which we will update soon as more information becomes available. You can also get the latest about what’s happening across the Burning Man community and with Black Rock City by subscribing to the Jackrabbit Speaks and reading the Burning Man Journal. Read on for more details about how the FOMO Sale will work.
The links just go to what they have already released:
Burning Man Project is closely monitoring developments related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Based on our current understanding of the situation, we believe our 2020 Burning Man event in Black Rock City will take place as planned, and we are preparing accordingly. The safety of our participants and extended global community is of the utmost importance, and we encourage 2020 Black Rock City participants to take necessary precautions as they plan their camps and projects in the coming months. We will share related Burning Man updates with the community as needed.

ahartman
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: math camp

Post by ahartman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:31 pm

DGS sales have already occured and monies been transferred. Presumably also with fees paid to credit cards agencies, etc.

1) if the event is cancelled, will these monies be refunded?

2) with main sale coming up, will those tickets (if purchased) be refunded if event is cancelled?

TIA

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 pm

In the immortal words of Richard Nixon: let me say this about that.

First, I have zero inside info or say about anything related to tickets.

This ticket situation may be a perfect scenario for anyone who always wanted to attend Burning Man but could never score a ticket. My thought is that many people will be hesitant to buy tickets due to the fluid pandemic situation. Also, it's up in the air what will happen to money paid for tickets, since the org statement says money will not be refunded.

So here we are. Tickets will most likely be much easier to get this year. How bad do you want to attend? Are you willing to take a chance? An opportunity of a lifetime is before you. It's a fork in the road that requires a clear and level head. Do you have a strong constitution?

So there you have it. Ponder, discuss, postulate and come up with what you think will be the best option for you.

XPTom

Post by XPTom » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am

Sham wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 pm

……..This ticket situation may be a perfect scenario for anyone who always wanted to attend Burning Man but could never score a ticket. My thought is that many people will be hesitant to buy tickets due to the fluid pandemic situation. …...
Big factor may be that many are burning through their "burn money" right now. One or to months without pay will ruin plans.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:31 am

XPTom wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am
Sham wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:53 pm

……..This ticket situation may be a perfect scenario for anyone who always wanted to attend Burning Man but could never score a ticket. My thought is that many people will be hesitant to buy tickets due to the fluid pandemic situation. …...
Big factor may be that many are burning through their "burn money" right now. One or to months without pay will ruin plans.
Agree with XPTom, and yeah great gamble if they don’t/won’t refund your money. And bmorg just adding the extra explicit wording of no refunds even in the event of a pandemic, we’ll grab the dice and take a chance...

And XPTom, the brothels have been shuttered
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 am

The only thing I know right now is...I'll go if they have it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 am

Ratty wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 am
Be interesting if there's an outbreak in BRC, and they quarantine everyone "shelter in place" for ____ weeks.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:50 am

Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am

Canoe wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 am
Ratty wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 am
Be interesting if there's an outbreak in BRC, and they quarantine everyone "shelter in place" for ____ weeks.
Yeah fuck that shit. I live close enough to jet across the playa and get home.
K, now everybody imagine me in my rented Uhaul fleeing the cops across to 3 mile, dust plume rising up behind me...Weeeee
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

RisenPhoenix71
Camp Name: Xuza

Post by RisenPhoenix71 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:34 pm

I have tix. I will be home even if I am the only one building a city. Might just move onto Fly Ranch and call it done.

Peace y'all

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 pm

From what I hear, there won't be any refunds, however the tickets will be honored at the 2021 burn.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:20 am

Have money in hand for low income ticket .. Waiting for e mail to send money ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

DavyRay
Burning Since: 2015

Post by DavyRay » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:37 pm

This afternoon a thought leaped into my head.
We should get the CDC to test the effects of playa dust on this nasty stuff.
I'll bet the dust wins.
There is lots of hugging in BRC, but everything and almost everyone is coated in playa dust.
Playa dust with daytime temperatures at 100 degrees F. Hmmm.
Should I suggest this to the org?

thnkfl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

Post by thnkfl » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:50 pm

I have a feeling this may be one of the best burns in years if covid keeps away the jocks and socialites.
Make it, enjoy it, let it go.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 pm

DavyRay wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:37 pm
This afternoon a thought leaped into my head.
We should get the CDC to test the effects of playa dust on this nasty stuff.
I'll bet the dust wins.
There is lots of hugging in BRC, but everything and almost everyone is coated in playa dust.
Playa dust with daytime temperatures at 100 degrees F. Hmmm.
Should I suggest this to the org?
Hmmm. Definitely something to consider.
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

shilohdog
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: No

Post by shilohdog » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:48 am

I think it goes without saying that in the best interest of everyone and DOING THE RIGHT AND RESPONSIBLE THING burning man borg should postpone all ticket sales and not add to the overall nightmare that is facing the human population as a picture in time. Also,I belive everyone should approach buying tickets very very carefully with the full expections/belief the event will be canceled for 2020 ... that is based on the fact the government has the final say,not borg. Plus, it would be morally and deceitfully WRONG for borg to take money from people during these times. After all,people are out of work and this money is not simply something folks will be able to just give away or forget. In closing, I think credit card companies and the courts may also not take kindness to borg by proceeding with tickets sales in light of the current health crisses facing the human race as a whole. I know borg has that warning about refunds,but courts do not always side - uphold it , and credit card companies have views on it too. So, I think it behooves borg to HOLD OFF ON TICKET SALES ... In the spirt of deliberate indifference of the law / procedures. Stay safe and healthy.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 pm

The summer Olympics have been postponed a year. C’mon Marion put the official word out sooner than later. This is embarrassing
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:19 pm

DUH!

Is there ANYONE claiming with graphs/statistics or whatever that there will be no cases of infection worldwide come July when the first workers are setting up BRC?

What are they waiting for?

shilohdog

Post by shilohdog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 am

NOTE ! Lighting In Bottle (LIB) and other Burning Man events are cancelling or postponing (sic) and telling folks NO REFUNDS - THEY WILL GIVE THEM CREDIT next year ... LIB is telling / using the excuse " it's a family business " and therefore they cannot afford to give refunds ... Call your credit card companies - use the courts. Remember, next year fees/ ticket prices will probably be higher and you will have to pay / throw more good money after bad,/,spent money just to try to get back your money ... When you run a business - you have a risk factor - and it's not to push it on to the customer/s . What happen to the 10 principles ??? I have already heard so many unfortunate stores about folks who are paying credit card charges for tickets they cannot afford and not able to use - what little money they have is being used to pay for tickets, instead of paying for needed supplies . Hopefully, event organizers do the right thing for these unfortunate folks and their families. Stay safe and healthy everyone

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am

shilohdog wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 am
NOTE ! Lighting In Bottle (LIB) and other Burning Man events are cancelling or postponing (sic) and telling folks NO REFUNDS - THEY WILL GIVE THEM CREDIT next year ... LIB is telling / using the excuse " it's a family business " and therefore they cannot afford to give refunds ... Call your credit card companies - use the courts. Remember, next year fees/ ticket prices will probably be higher and you will have to pay / throw more good money after bad,/,spent money just to try to get back your money ... When you run a business - you have a risk factor - and it's not to push it on to the customer/s . What happen to the 10 principles ??? I have already heard so many unfortunate stores about folks who are paying credit card charges for tickets they cannot afford and not able to use - what little money they have is being used to pay for tickets, instead of paying for needed supplies . Hopefully, event organizers do the right thing for these unfortunate folks and their families. Stay safe and healthy everyone

Who are you? Three post in and knows everything ?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

shilohdog

Post by shilohdog » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:46 pm

Unjohnharley,

I am the kid your mother warned you about - 👹 lol ... ESQ

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:13 pm

shilohdog wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:46 pm
Unjohnharley,

I am the kid your mother warned you about - 👹 lol ... ESQ
I met Unjohn, I know Unjohn, Unjohn is my friend. He will make chicken salad out of you.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 pm

shilohdog wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:33 am
You're more than a bit off. First, they aren't a family company, they are an Incorporated non-profit organization.

Second, if you know going in that there will be no refunds, you don't have a leg to stand on in court. Now it's totally a donation you made to a charity. You can deduct the entire amount on your taxes.

Third, the situation is fluid and not giving refunds is not set in stone.

It's too early to know anything for sure, but if you check out the Burning Man journal you can read their latest statement on where things are at this point in time.
JK

XPTom

Post by XPTom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:39 am

Anybody here have any insight into what United Site Services is thinking about this mess? Seems to me the folks who sanitize 1700 porta potties have a big seat at the table this year.

Return to “Tickets Discussion”