Burning art on the playa during fire ban

Building an art installation or mutant vehicle? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about your 2020 playa projects here.
burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Burning art on the playa during fire ban

Post by burner von braun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 am

The question occurred to me the other day, so I'll ask it here. First though, my thoughts go out to all of you dealing with the devastating wildfires out west.

My question... with the strict fire ban currently in place on the playa and elsewhere, if this had been a regular burning man year, would burning man have gotten a full exemption to go ahead and burn art, fire off poofers, have fire spinners, etc., or perhaps only be allowed to burn the man, or...

I'm unaware if the current ban is stricter than perhaps other times in the past. Any insight going forward?

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Burning art on the playa during fire ban

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 am

Are you asking about Spare the Air?
AFAIK Spare the Air has been a program since before Burning Man moved to the playa. I'm sure Spare the Air burning bans have been instituted during a Burn on the Playa, but it's never stopped Burning Man.

edit: It's for the SF Bay Area only; is not enforced for N Nevada.

But yeah, it's puzzling that they should ban people from burning wood in their fireplaces when the whole west coast is swathed in smoke....

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 am

burner von braun wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 am
The question occurred to me the other day, so I'll ask it here. First though, my thoughts go out to all of you dealing with the devastating wildfires out west.

My question... with the strict fire ban currently in place on the playa and elsewhere, if this had been a regular burning man year, would burning man have gotten a full exemption to go ahead and burn art, fire off poofers, have fire spinners, etc., or perhaps only be allowed to burn the man, or...

I'm unaware if the current ban is stricter than perhaps other times in the past. Any insight going forward?
Nevada has an outright fire ban right now. Propane bbqs are still allowed. I’ve heard there was a bit of poofing at new city, schitty, everywhen over burn week.

Interesting though to see if the burns would be allowed to burn. Eek who would want to dismantle and take it all home?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:08 am

Probably the BORG would apply for an exemption and get it. The situation of dispersed camping anywhere in NV is completely different.

To my knowledge, we have never had a wildfire in BRC. The closest was the camper that caught fire and they were able to pull it away from the camp.

They certainly delay big art burns for wind. I am not a fan of pyro in the man burn because I've had embers fall within feet of me, though that may have been the year the fireworks cache caught on fire.

People complain about all the rules at the event. Every single rule can be traced to an example of burner stupidity. The detailed event plan would cover response to a wind-driven wild fire in the neighborhoods, but that's after it happens. It would end the event.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm

@UD... I guess I'm more referring to Burning Man itself, but thanks for the reply. By the way, I miss reading your clever one-line retorts around here.

...but yes, I guess the outright burning ban for the entire state that Lucky spoke of is what got me to wondering how the event might have been affected if it had taken place; especially seeing as even burn barrels are currently banned at the moment. Granted, we burn big art every year out there, and yep SSE, I've seen them postponed due to high winds too, so perhaps it would have been Burning Man as usual this year regardless.

Return to “Art & Performance”