Camp in good standing ready for a takeover!

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2020.
mattuch
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hanging Gardens

Camp in good standing ready for a takeover!

Post by mattuch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:55 pm

So, you want to start a theme camp? Don't know where to start?

Takeover my camp!

I've got a storage unit in Empire full of infrastructure and decorations for a camp that's 100x100sq ft for up to 25 people. Last year we were in the 4:30 sector.

I'm not comfortable posting the name of the camp just yet. Putting my feelers out there to see if anyone is interested in taking it over. After running the show for 5 years, I'm tired and would like to experience something new. I don't have anyone to step up and takeover within my camp for this year.

I could donate the camp to you or part it out this year. Is anyone out there interested? I'd love to see it continue and evolve. I'd even be happy to WAP and build with you to ensure a smooth hand off.

Or do you have tips on how to decommission a camp and what to do with the supplies? It took me years to build up all this gear....
Conduit poles, connectors, tarps, ladders, rebar, lag bolts, yert w/AC, folding tables, camp stoves, outdoor carpets, fabric decorations, Kitchenware, blenders, tutus, bikes, bike pump, shower, bike racks, ect.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Camp in good standing ready for a takeover!

Post by Token » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 am

Did you read the journal entry on DGS?

It’s OK to take a year off! The more camps that take planned sabbaticals, the more DGS tickets are available in a given year for other camps.

Camps have told us that one reason they come year after year is to maintain their ongoing access to DGS tickets, and because they believe skipping a year reflects poorly on their standing and investment in the community.

We’d like to dispel this concern: all camps are welcome to take a year off or to bring their offering on an every-other-year basis. They can re-enter the DGS system without losing their standing or reputation with Placement.
https://journal.burningman.org/2020/02/ ... -villages/

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:11 am

Ha, I just did this exact thing. Now you're going to make the patsy, I mean, new head lead, wonder if he chose the right anchor to attach to his neck. I reached out to people I partially connected with, here on eplaya. I didn't want a plug n play takeover, and worried about optics. My camp was smaller though, and other than me, no one local enough to drive in the gear. Campmates were still commited though, so the camp is a continuation. Also I made the new camp lead buy the trailer everything is in so they can bring the camp gear now and I simply can not, and I had them sign a blood oath.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

mattuch

Post by mattuch » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:42 am

Token wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 am
Did you read the journal entry on DGS?

It’s OK to take a year off! The more camps that take planned sabbaticals, the more DGS tickets are available in a given year for other camps.

Camps have told us that one reason they come year after year is to maintain their ongoing access to DGS tickets, and because they believe skipping a year reflects poorly on their standing and investment in the community.

We’d like to dispel this concern: all camps are welcome to take a year off or to bring their offering on an every-other-year basis. They can re-enter the DGS system without losing their standing or reputation with Placement.
https://journal.burningman.org/2020/02/ ... -villages/
Yes, I did see this. Once I'm done, I'm done. I don't want to go back to running the camp in 2021. I'd like a new experience to volunteer for the org or be on a team of a larger camp where there are multiple leads and delegation happens.

Lon86
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Planet Earth

Post by Lon86 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Very interested in talking to you about this.

Have much experience build and running camps... took last year off.

Lon86
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Planet Earth

Post by Lon86 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Please email me...
[email protected]
This could be a very good thing.

mattuch

Post by mattuch » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:51 pm

I sent you an email.

thesklipi
Burning Since: 2020

Post by thesklipi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am

We'd be very interested in taking over your camp. Since I can't email you directly, I am posting why we'd be a good fit below. Would love to chat! My email is [email protected].

- We're a group of best friends that live in SF that have traveled all over the world together and we're starting our own camp for the first time ever. In SF, we've created a much bigger community of awesome, interesting and caring people from all over the world called the "60 Best Friends" (name of the Facebook group). We regularly share and host events for those in the group to attend, building deep relationships within our own community as well as inviting new people to join and become integrated into the group. We want to bring those same vibes and passion for community to Burning Man.

- If you will allow us to rename it, we would plan to name our camp "The Coffee Shop at the End of the Universe" fitting in with this year's theme. At our coffee shop, we will serve java and kava to quench the thirst and beverage needs of Burning Man attendees day and night. Our strong interest in kava was cemented during our trip to Fiji this January where local Fijians invited us to partake in their kava ceremonies night after night, repleting our souls with warmth and appreciation for the soothing sounds of their guitars and the calmness induced by the kava.

- Given this is our first year setting up camp, we'd love to create the best possible experience for all involved and would be extremely grateful for your camp supplies and camp spot. We have a mix of newbies who are excited and eager as well as repeat burners who know the drill and will run the camp well. We have the depth in our camp family and camp friends to man a theme camp and will give it the love and care you've devoted to it for the past 5 years. We have time in the next 6 months to explore the multiverse and rock the end of world while working from home hoping to avoid coronavirus.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:15 am

thesklipi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am
We'd be very interested in taking over your camp.
Hey ya thesklipi, first Burn? Introduce yourself over at the Greetings thread here on eplaya.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

thesklipi
Burning Since: 2020

Post by thesklipi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:19 am

It's my first one but there are several folks in the group that are repeat burners.

mike camper
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: mike

Post by mike camper » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:48 am

I did exectly that, it was great experience for me, i did camping with my friends in family tent 16* 7 feet.However , the only thing that I relaized missing was heavy-duty potable stool. It my recomentation to bring that too, its comes handy.

mike camper
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: mike

Post by mike camper » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:36 am

mike camper wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:48 am
I did exectly that, it was great experience for me, i did camping with my friends in family tent 16* 7 feet.However , the only thing that I relaized missing was heavy-duty potable stool. It my recomentation to bring that too, its comes handy.https://campinggoal.com/camp-stool-for-300-lbs/

Return to “Camps & Villages”