I would like to volunteer pre-burn, can you help?

Theme camps and villages are the interactive core of Burning Man. This is the place to announce and discuss camp and village plans for Burning Man 2020.
mikebateman888
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Right hand speaker people

I would like to volunteer pre-burn, can you help?

Post by mikebateman888 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:45 am

Hi,

I hope everyone had a good weekend that went to the desert. I am a four year burner, been going since 2010. I have voluntered for the artery during the burn, but I am now interested in volunteering pre-burn and hopefully for as long as possible to spend some time in the desert. Can anyone recommend somewhere to volunteer? I was hoping for something non-skilled and to be out there for a month plus. Maybe something like serving food for example. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks
Mike

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: I would like to volunteer pre-burn, can you help?

Post by ygmir » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:52 am

mikebateman888 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:45 am
Hi,

I hope everyone had a good weekend that went to the desert. I am a four year burner, been going since 2010. I have voluntered for the artery during the burn, but I am now interested in volunteering pre-burn and hopefully for as long as possible to spend some time in the desert. Can anyone recommend somewhere to volunteer? I was hoping for something non-skilled and to be out there for a month plus. Maybe something like serving food for example. Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks
Mike
HI and welcome!
It seems there should be a link on the main BM page, for volunteering? If so, it should have categories and such, so you could see what some interests might be, and contact those departments.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: I would like to volunteer pre-burn, can you help?

Post by Ano » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Don't try for this through a camp or art project is my recommendation, and don't expect to be welcome to come super-duper early your first year volunteering. I think the earliest you could get would be a week early for a first-timer on a crew without a referral from a member, but even then, I am under the impression that the majority of Borg Crews are very careful about giving first-year volunteers really early WAPs because it is not uncommon for them to run off and disappear into the city as soon as it's big enough.

It isn't as difficult to stay post-event for cleanup. Unless something has changed, I'm under the impression that some form of resto accepts referred walk-ons. I feel like I've seen a sign at Playa Info that said something like "can't get enough Burning Man? Come do resto!" but I do not know if that was for an individual camp or for actual DPW itself. I know for certain I've seen signs advertising staying for resto in my department's backstage-ish area.

But if you wanted to just stay, I think you have until Tuesday or Wednesday to GTFO before someone bothers you.

DPW, Gate, Rangers, ESD are the big ones that are out early, I think.

Also, fair warning, it isn't as fun as you might think it is. It is fun as fuck, don't get me wrong, however it is very hard work in rather crappy conditions, and by the time the event rolls around, if you've already been out for 2+ weeks, you might get why DPW and the like are super grumpy when the gates open. However, there is something nearly transcendental about day 16 of incredibly hard labor hitting you at 3pm during a white out while you're sitting alone in an LC listening to radio traffic and wondering what's what. And there is something beautiful about having that exact same moment a few weeks later, on the other end of the experience. I cannot begin to describe to you how deep and meaningful the hard labor ends up becoming. But it does suck ass.

Return to “Camps & Villages”