Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

All things outside of Burning Man.
Canoe

Re: Politics, Everyday, All day... morning, noon and night....II

Post by Canoe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:17 pm

We may have missed this from a few days ago...
"This is the first time that terrorists have attacked our capital with the support of a president and much of his party."
https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/stat ... 3433904129
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:21 pm

In a somewhat lighter line...
Nice Try, Greta.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:54 pm

Frida Be You & Me

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:06 pm

Cannon fodder, then and now.
Cannon fodder merge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Black Death of the 14th century killed half the population of Europe and Asia.
Please stay home until this pandemic is more safely behind us. And wear a mask when you must go out for groceries. The life you save may be mine. Thank you!

Ugly Dougly

KING CONAN SPEAKS NOW!

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:18 pm

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 pm

It really blows my mind they set up a watch party, and Meadows giving the thumbs up knowing that this was going to happen. They're good with it, did they think we would be too?
https://twitter.com/unfucwitable89/stat ... 4251625472

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:38 am

5F7BEF03-AD3C-4265-8959-99D84E636A1C.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:41 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:54 pm
you need to watch this...
How did you get this voice in my brain to video. This guy is so spot on, so completely spot on. Thank you for posting
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 am

Thank you everyone for all the Sunday posts here that I’ve just caught up on.

I love you all, even if I don’t act like it

Stay safe
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am

"Hello, I am a patriotic supporter of President Donald Trump who broke into the U.S. Capitol and attacked police officers because I believed the election was stolen and it was my duty to overthrow the government using only a flagpole I picked up along the way and the horns on the cool viking helmet I wore.

What kind of country are we if an outstanding citizen like myself can be fired, arrested and charged with domestic terrorism just because I livestreamed myself joining hundreds of other freedom fighters in attempting to crush a screaming law enforcement officer before defecating in the offices of Democratic lawmakers?"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/ ... story.html
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 am

Corporations donate lump of coal to seditionist congress - NYT

Companies Pull Back Political Giving Following Capitol Violence

AT&T and Marriott were among companies that will stop campaign contributions to lawmakers who objected to certifying the election. Other companies, such as JPMorgan, paused all political donations.

Morgan Stanley said it would halt donations from its political action committee to the members of Congress who objected to certifying the election results on Jan. 6.

Days after a pro-Trump mob attacked the United States Capitol, some of America’s biggest companies said they would pause political giving as they rethink their support of certain lawmakers and their own involvement in politics more broadly.

Marriott International, Dow, Airbnb and Morgan Stanley were among those that said they would halt donations from their political action committees, or PACs, to the 147 Republican members of Congress who objected to certifying the election results on Jan. 6. The plans to object to the results appear to have contributed to the deadly storming of the Capitol that day. AT&T, whose PAC donated the most of any single public company in the 2019-20 election cycle, also said it would suspend contributions to those lawmakers.

At the same time, Facebook, Microsoft, Coca-Cola, Citigroup, JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs said they were pausing PAC donations to both Republican and Democratic candidates for various lengths of time — a tactic that will also penalize those who voted to uphold the election.

The moves are notable because corporations and their employees are active players in the political process, making campaign contributions through PACs and helping politicians raise funds in myriad ways. But it was not clear how long the pause would last — the first quarter is the slowest period of the cycle — and whether the companies would quietly roll back the changes after public attention had shifted.

In the last election cycle, American corporate PACs gave $91 million to members of the House of Representatives, accounting for 8 percent of that chamber’s total funds raised, and $27 million to senators, accounting for 3 percent of the total, according to figures compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.

“Corporate PAC money is usually an arm of the lobbying interests of the corporation and is used to buy access and influence,” said Fred Wertheimer, president of Democracy 21, which advocates for campaign finance reform. “If that were to fundamentally change, and if small donors became a much bigger part of financing elections, we could potentially face a fundamental change in the financing of elections.”

By announcing their intention to withhold funds, companies are signaling to lawmakers that there are growing political and public relations risks to their actions. By the end of Monday, at least 16 companies had put out statements disavowing the events of Wednesday and pledging to use their corporate giving to uphold their principles.

Companies do pause their political contributions sometimes, such as when they are being investigated. But broad initiatives are rare, although this one is at least partly rooted in pragmatism and business savvy.

“I think that some corporations just have been a little bit tone deaf about this,” said Ann M. Ravel, who chaired the Federal Election Commission under former President Barack Obama. “But now, the events of the last week have been so outrageous, and so violent. And the people who were shown trying to undermine our democracy are probably not the kind of people that most corporations want to appeal to.”

Last week, an armed mob, egged on by a disgruntled President Trump, breached the Capitol building as lawmakers were debating whether to certify Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s victory over Mr. Trump in the presidential election. The rioters forced the vice president and lawmakers to be evacuated. Five people, including a police officer, died.

Dow, which took some of the strongest steps, said it was suspending donations for at least two or six years, depending on the lawmaker’s election cycle, “to any member of Congress who voted to object to the certification of the presidential election.”

Hallmark requested the return of campaign contributions that its PAC made to Senators Josh Hawley of Missouri and Roger Marshall of Kansas, who both voted against certifying the presidential election results. “Hallmark believes the peaceful transition of power is part of the bedrock of our democratic system, and we abhor violence of any kind,” the company said in a statement.

Other large companies, including Delta, Walmart and FedEx, said they were monitoring the situation but appeared to stop short of taking any targeted action. .

Lloyd C. Blankfein, the former chief executive of Goldman Sachs, said that the rush by companies to take a stand on political contributions could be shortsighted, given the nature of business.

“I don’t want to minimize the bad outcomes that threaten us all in the waning days of the Trump administration,” he said. “Yet I would be very reluctant to threaten a legislator with a permanent breach over any single issue, recognizing we may need to work together on many other things that will be important to us in the future.”

The pullback in PAC donations will hurt lawmakers unevenly. Sam Graves and Blaine Luetkemeyer, both Republicans from Missouri who objected to certifying Mr. Biden’s election victory, were the House members who were second- and third-most reliant on PAC donations. Their 2020 campaigns were both funded about 80 percent by PAC donations, according to data from the Center for Responsive Politics. In the Senate, where the reliance on PAC money is generally lower, Senator Hawley received 7 percent of his recent funds from corporate PACs; for Texas Republican Ted Cruz, probably the highest profile objector to the November election result, the figure was 1 percent.

Corporations spent four years grappling with the volatile Mr. Trump and how best to react to his unpredictable actions, some of which ran counter to the values of their employees and customers. After Mr. Trump’s refusal to commit to a smooth transition, many business leaders began a more sustained conversation about what — if anything — they could do.

On Nov. 23, more than 160 executives signed a letter demanding a swift presidential transition. Some of the executives discussed withholding donations from the Republican candidates for Senate in Georgia if party leaders did not do more to facilitate the transition.

On Jan. 5, the day before the violence at the Capitol, senior executives from Merck, Disney, Pfizer, Morgan Stanley and others revisited the notion of withholding contributions in a call with historians and constitutional experts, said two people who participated in the call. A poll of the call’s participants showed that 100 percent believed it was a good idea to privately warn lobbyists that their companies would no longer support election “deniers,” according to a copy of the poll results obtained by The New York Times. Yet no concrete plan emerged.

That changed after Wednesday.

Early Thursday, calls began for corporations to end their support for Republican lawmakers who either supported Mr. Trump’s agenda during his term or objected to certifying the election. Steve Schmidt, a co-founder of the Lincoln Project, a group of conservatives critical of Mr. Trump, said in a Twitter post that his organization “will be running a brutal corporate pressure campaign,” targeting boards, chief executives, and companies that helped finance the politicians that may have set off the Capitol attacks. His group had already been pressuring Citi, AT&T and Charles Schwab over their support for Mr. Hawley and Mr. Cruz, who had taken leadership roles in opposing the election certification.

In an interview on Monday, Mr. Schmidt said that companies — including banks like Citi and JPMorgan — that had halted all political donations instead of specifically focusing on the objectors were missing the point.

“The issue isn’t suspending all political donations,” he said. “The issue isn’t even suspending all donations to conservatives who largely supported Donald Trump. The issue is suspending donations to seditionists, people that incited an insurrection.”

Big banks have in the past withheld political donations to convey their disapproval, usually only temporarily. In 2015, Goldman Sachs and PNC Financial Services halted donations to Scott Garrett, a Republican with an influential position on the House Financial Services Committee, after he objected to Republican congressional candidates that were gay. That same year, representatives from Citi, JPMorgan and other big banks met to talk about a coordinated freeze on donations to Senate Democrats in order to express disapproval over Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren, a sharp critic of big banks.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:33 am

When evil corporations find the seditionist so evil they disavow support and stop donating dollhairs, you know they done fucked up.

Have fun with your lemonade stands and bake sales traitors
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am

President Donald Trump doubled down on Tuesday on the incendiary rhetoric that incited the Capitol riot, warning darkly that it was dangerous to the United States for him to be impeached for his conduct.

Trump also claimed that his inflammatory comments at a rally shortly before the invasion of the halls of Congress by thousands of his supporters on Wednesday were not harmful.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/12/trump-w ... -riot.html
Frida Be You & Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:06 pm

While I would've been pleased or indifferent if it spread throughout their own ranks, the anti-masking Republican ass-hats infected other lawmakers as they hunkered down during the Capitol riot.

Covid: Three Democratic lawmakers test positive after Capitol riot

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55631079
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Alexander made his claim in three separate livestreams in late December, adding that Reps. Paul Gosar of Arizona and Mo Brooks of Alabama were also involved. “We’re the four guys who came up with a January 6 event,” Alexander said. On December 8, the Arizona Republican Party boosted Alexander, asking supporters if they were willing to give their lives in the fight over the results of the presidential election.

His claim is also buttressed by a fourth video from a December 19 rally at the Arizona State Capitol, at which Alexander played a video that Biggs had supplied. In the video, Biggs mentions Brooks as his ally in the fight. Gosar spoke in person at the event.

https://theintercept.com/2021/01/11/cap ... aul-gosar/
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:48 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 am
President Donald Trump doubled down on Tuesday on the incendiary rhetoric that incited the Capitol riot, warning darkly that it was dangerous to the United States for him to be impeached for his conduct.

Trump also claimed that his inflammatory comments at a rally shortly before the invasion of the halls of Congress by thousands of his supporters on Wednesday were not harmful.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/12/trump-w ... -riot.html
Crime grandpa just can’t help threatening the country.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm

What is so baffling... is that the nature of Mr. Trump's personality was crystal clear for all to see four-and-a-half-years ago -- when at a press conference he mocked a reporter's physical disability.
Surely, I am not smarter than most Americans! But that was all I needed to know about the man -- a card-carrying misanthrope.
I may not drive a car unless I first prove to the Department of Motor Vehicles that I possess certain minimum qualifications for that inherently dangerous task. And a higher level of qualifications to drive an 18-wheeler.
We need a similar system for our public officials.
The Black Death of the 14th century killed half the population of Europe and Asia.
Please stay home until this pandemic is more safely behind us. And wear a mask when you must go out for groceries. The life you save may be mine. Thank you!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:39 pm

Well, Mr. Pence's sudden enlightenment was as suddenly temporary. He is not even a competent turncoat.
https://www.npr.org/sections/trump-impe ... inst-trump

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Trump performs all his debased, corrupt, and deviant actions in plain sight, and has this entire term of office. He knew that most of the laws and deterrent factors for most of those actions were held together by tradition or condemnation, but mostly toothless. In appealing to society's baser elements, Trump did not need to concern himself with such things, and many of his followers were happy to see him discard such decorum ("he just tells it as it is").

This is Trump for all the world to see, and the scary part is that so many embraced that.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:33 pm

Meanwhile, six or seven ePlayans are preaching to their own choir. LOL

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 am

16AA212B-2185-4B7F-966C-2E699CC8E761.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:33 am

Her day is coming... :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:13 pm

Pro-Trump Attorney Lin Wood Not of 'Sufficient Character' to Practice Law, Decides Judge

https://www.newsweek.com/pro-trump-atto ... ge-1560898

BTW it is to the advantage of Republicans in the Senate to convict Trump so he can't poison the 2024 field. If Melania divorces him after the post-nup allows her to, he is going to be in a crazier mood than he is now.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:50 pm

6DA7DAD4-5AAD-427C-9B06-8ACD197EC5F7.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:12 pm

Atop the Powerful Budget Committee at Last, Bernie Sanders Wants to Go Big

“Do you know who becomes chair of the Senate Budget Committee?” Mr. Ryan asked. “A guy named Bernie Sanders. You ever heard of him?”

Despite Democrats’ narrow control of the Senate, Mr. Sanders is expected to exert heavy influence over taxes, health care, climate change and several other domestic issues. That is because his role as budget chairman will give him control over a little-known but incredibly powerful congressional tool that allows certain types of legislation to win Senate approval with just a simple majority.

That tool — a budget mechanism called reconciliation — allows Congress to move some legislation without gaining 60 votes. It has become the vehicle for several major legislative efforts this century, including tax cuts under President Trump and President George W. Bush, and the final version of President Barack Obama’s signature health care bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/p ... ittee.html

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 pm

My barn in Clearlake.

A postcard I received from Bernie headquarters in Vermont in reply to a suggestion I mailed them.

Now I need a lot of paint.
And talent.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:43 am

There is a Norwegian bank robber recruiting American Nazis to take military training in Ukraine. (Current issue of TIME.)
They "practice" by fighting for Ukraine against the Russians. (Strangely enough, this part of it makes a little bit of sense.)

These are apparently religious or spiritual men, because they are rallying around... Norse paganism.

That's it. I am not reading any more news this month.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 am

Two of the officers who spoke to BuzzFeed News said it wouldn’t surprise them if lawmakers had been involved. “There are definitely some members who need to be held to account once an investigation shows the totality of circumstances,” one said, in a sign of how betrayed some officers feel in the aftermath of the assault on the Capitol.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/em ... -detectors
Frida Be You & Me

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:46 pm

This is not good.
The Gutted, 'Unnerving' State of the Agencies Supposed to Keep the U.S. Safe

All of the nation’s top Cabinet departments overseeing the nation’s security are run by acting officials who have been in the job just weeks—or even hours.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... afe-459156

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 pm

More insurrection personal consequences
> hi mom remember the time you told me I shouldn’t go to BLM protests bc they could get violent...this you?

mother, aunt & uncle at the capitol incident
https://twitter.com/duke_helena/status/ ... 4301114371

https://www.theroot.com/massachusetts-w ... 1846060065

Return to “Open Discussion”