My gift to all of you for 2021

All things outside of Burning Man.
^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

My gift to all of you for 2021

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Although I am currently unsure of my attendance in 2021(long f'in story dealing with University shutdown and COVID-19 plus shortage of available classes for a field-based science like geology) I consider it highly important to give something of value to the BRC community. In this case, it's as important as life itself.

Pain in joints and extremities (including debilitating back pain) prevents many from enjoying everyday activities of living life to the fullest. In MY case, advanced osteoarthritis has attacked my knee joints in the past year, making full knee joint replacement a medical necessity. Let me tell you, this shit hurts enough to make it very painful for me to walk more than 10 feet without a cane. If you overdo it (which I'm known to do, owning my own life to get shit DONE) you can't sleep because of the pain. Grade 9 pain on a 0-10 scale. it was so bad a week ago that urgent care sent me to the ER.

The ER physician already had the appropriate imaging on file, and came back to me with a new strategy. NO opioids, no surgery, just the use of Tylenol (acetaminophen) and ibuprofen IN TANDEM. It's more effective than morphine. I couldn't believe it until I found this online from the American Association of Family Physicians, referencing the Journal of the American Medical Association:

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/0301/p348.html

I tried it for a full week. No pain. No opiates. I am getting shit done again. I'm sharing it with all of you so that if you have to wait for surgery, or need to heal without pain, or simply don't want to have to explain to a LEO what you're doing with pain pills going into Burningman, you have an effective alternative radically self-reliant strategy to PLAY ON!

With my love and respect to the entire Burningman community,

^Rhino!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: My gift to all of you for 2021

Post by Popeye » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:10 am

I can confirm what Rhino said. This has been used in Bush Alaska clinics for at least the past 15 years, especially in young children and babies. It was given to my kids and others. Although instead of in tandem it was alternating every 2-3 hours so there was never a trough. it reduced or eliminated fevers and pain. Never thought about it not being known or used down here.
I think it originated so they did not have to keep morphine, etc. in remote clinics.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks rhino!
:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Yup...it works. Thanks, Rhino.
I’ve done the alternating every 2 hours on a couple of different occasions. It will keep you on your feet when expensive prescriptions won’t.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:19 pm

Knee problems are tough. A long time ago I worked in a knee research lab. You might have gotten a kick out of the lab having a material testing machine. It could apply linear stretching and crushing as well as rotation, measuring it all with load cells. All I can say is after they replace your knees, do everything the physical therapist prescribes. I had a sprain about a year ago and naproxen helped me. It's easier on the body than ibuprofen. Your pain may be more severe than mine though.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 am

Popeye wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:10 am
I can confirm what Rhino said. This has been used in Bush Alaska clinics for at least the past 15 years, especially in young children and babies. It was given to my kids and others. Although instead of in tandem it was alternating every 2-3 hours so there was never a trough. it reduced or eliminated fevers and pain. Never thought about it not being known or used down here.
I think it originated so they did not have to keep morphine, etc. in remote clinics.
Popeye, thanks for the first confirmation. I;m sort of not surprised about morphine not being available in bush Alaska. If there's really a traumatic injury at the edge out there the Lifeflight transport jet or helo will come, except in the case of shitty weather, which is often. Then, in an emergency they call the Coast Guard whose pilots would fly in Force 10 winds if a life were at stake (and they nearly always succeed in getting a patient to a higher level of care), may blessings accrue for them. Coast Guard rescue swimmers, though they are qualified EMTs, bring a medical corpsman with them if morphine might be needed. On longer distance rescues they bring a flight surgeon (MD). The intent is to always be prepared to save lives. So, worse comes to worse, you were covered.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 am

sadie and lucky 420,

you're welcome.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:19 pm
Knee problems are tough. A long time ago I worked in a knee research lab. You might have gotten a kick out of the lab having a material testing machine. It could apply linear stretching and crushing as well as rotation, measuring it all with load cells. All I can say is after they replace your knees, do everything the physical therapist prescribes. I had a sprain about a year ago and naproxen helped me. It's easier on the body than ibuprofen. Your pain may be more severe than mine though.
some seeing eye,

Thanks for your concern.

I would have gotten a kick out of the testing apparatus, indeed. Your knees respond to the same forces of tension , compression and torsion that materials like steel or concrete do. The saline content of blood plasma over a 60 year period , though, would cause steel (except for stainless) or concrete to corrode. Human bones are made up of the mineral hydroxyapatite, which doesn't corrode, plus the fact there's cartilage involved and skeletal muscle guiding the motion. I'm very lucky in that here in Columbia is a Top 10 Orthopedic Hospital associated with the University of Missouri's Hospital and clinics. Plus the fact that not only do I have a full State of Missouri pension, I get dental and vision insurance also, PLUS, my pension comes with a yearly cost of living adjustment AND it's exempt from state income taxes. I spent 30 years in public service, enjoyed my work, and am taken care of until I die. AND I still live on my own in a 2000 sq. ft. apartment. I count my blessings daily.

A final word of caution: we as Americans think that a little bit of something that helps may have a beneficial effect the more we use. In the case of ibuprofen, more than the recommended dose can damage your kidneys. With naproxen you can fuck up your liver. Don't use more than the recommended dose without the prior advice and approval of an MD.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Funny thing ...

... multi-ingredient pain killers with Tylenol + NSAID have been on the market since 1960 when Excedrin was introduced.

But it is way more profitable to sell scheduled drugs via prescription than generic OTC powders.

Free market economy and all that.

My go to is Tylenol + Naprosen.

Return to “Open Discussion”