2021 Announcement from the head office

All things outside of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

2021 Announcement from the head office

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:06 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLPGM2MqVS/ scheduled for April 10.

(after that ePlaya might need a 2021 subforum)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: 2021 Announcement from the head office

Post by lucky420 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:53 pm

So it’s her voice?
Wonder if it will be transcribed to print

Jk kinda but not really :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

art walsh

Post by art walsh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:33 am

is instagram link re: podcast 4-10-21 broken or taken down?

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 am

It was reposted at https://www.instagram.com/burningman/ so my link above was replaced with identical content.

Set your alarm for 10AM Pacific time Saturday!

35-45 minute event

Not the BRC “go/no-go” announcement

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:38 am
It was reposted at https://www.instagram.com/burningman/ so my link above was replaced with identical content.

Set your alarm for 10AM Pacific time Saturday!

35-45 minute event

Not the BRC “go/no-go” announcement
So it's true then, Google bought Burning Man. :D

- That makes it a permanent virtual event. :shock:

Seriously though. Thanks for the info. Do you know if people without an Instagram account will be able to access it?

Asking for my Luddite friend.......
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:29 pm

It will be open to all, no "Instagram: Zuck's anit-immediacy and all your personal data r belong to us" account required!

"Planning to tune into Marian's talk on Saturday at 10am PDT / 1pm EDT? There are now THREE places where you can watch the live stream:
• Join us at burningman.org
• Dive into BRCvr and wander over to Center Camp, then stay after to discuss what we learned: https://bit.ly/3d1l5XH
• Or drop into Burn Week Live and participate in a live group chat as you watch: https://bit.ly/3d1WZMw
See you Saturday!"

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:29 am

And the news from MM today: No go/no go decision has been made yet. Stay tuned for official announcements.

And if it happens....proof of COVID-19 vaccination WILL be required.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:10 am

Well now I know why burning man has been degenerating for the last several years.

Let me get this straight, we are about 4 months out and she can't make the hard call. But if it does happen, Gate will be dressed like the GI Joe's at Barbie Death Camp & checking everyone papers before entry.

They want to embrace diversity/inclusion and although communities of color have been under prioritized and experience lower vaccinations rates they are requiring just that for entry. For me that's an unfortunate but easy call. Cancel. But who an I kidding? They abandon the 10 principals whenever they directly conflict with profit.

But it gets better. If you have the means you can buy a Burning Man fast pass for the everyday low price of $2,500-$5,000 which will allow you to cut to the head of the ticket line for the next 2 events. That's just the price of the fast pass. You still have to pay normal ticket price after that.

As much as I hate the over use of the word this sure seems like BORG sanctioned PRIVILEGE.

Privilege leads to exclusion. Exclusion leads lack of artistic diversity. Lack of artistic diversity leads to Coachella.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

The Rod
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: THREAT

Post by The Rod » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:26 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:10 am
Well now I know why burning man has been degenerating for the last several years.

Let me get this straight, we are about 4 months out and she can't make the hard call. But if it does happen, Gate will be dressed like the GI Joe's at Barbie Death Camp & checking everyone papers before entry.

They want to embrace diversity/inclusion and although communities of color have been under prioritized and experience lower vaccinations rates they are requiring just that for entry. For me that's an unfortunate but easy call. Cancel. But who an I kidding? They abandon the 10 principals whenever they directly conflict with profit.

But it gets better. If you have the means you can buy a Burning Man fast pass for the everyday low price of $2,500-$5,000 which will allow you to cut to the head of the ticket line for the next 2 events. That's just the price of the fast pass. You still have to pay normal ticket price after that.

As much as I hate the over use of the word this sure seems like BORG sanctioned PRIVILEGE.

Privilege leads to exclusion. Exclusion leads lack of artistic diversity. Lack of artistic diversity leads to Coachella.
+100

It might be time to let this bloated beast die.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 am

Who are they kidding? Four months out and they haven’t even called it...
it isn’t happening.

Which, fortunately, means it IS happening, for the self-reliant people!
Amazing how the anti-establishment becomes the new establishment.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:45 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:30 am
Who are they kidding? Four months out and they haven’t even called it...
it isn’t happening.

Which, fortunately, means it IS happening, for the self-reliant people!
Amazing how the anti-establishment becomes the new establishment.
Aye aye Captain. Permission to come aboard.

I'm with you.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm

16967D5D-9179-46B2-BB7A-65FA341B714E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Glass half full or half empty?

Personally I think we are in the best of all possible situations!

I have a choice of BRC, if it happens, renegade Black Rock, and at least one campout with friends.

The BORG finances are stable and they can do 2022 and beyond whether 2021 happens. The BORG got their virtual groove on, developed other small revenue sources, and discovered their depth of financial support. Fly Ranch has a clearer vision.

If BRC 2021 happens, I think camps are going to be on their best behavior with art and interaction.

If BRC 2021 happens, I'm going to guess fewer bucket list festies and instagroomers.

The BORG has a 2021 plan and a go/no-do target date.

We are/will be vaccinated, we aren't dead, and hopefully aren't mentally or physically disabled from Covid.

Captain Bruce
Burning Since: 1994
Camp Name: Pandora Star

Post by Captain Bruce » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Invitation to the Future (ITTF) new tix program. Offered to 1.5% of Burners who donate $2,500. and merely guarantees them they can buy a ticket the next two years. This helps fund BORG's salaries, kudos to Marian Goodell !!! This very low % does not adversely effect radical inclusion, and gives BM a better chance of survival for ALL Burners. Also the State of NV demanded vaccinations, it wasn't BORG's decision to make.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 am

Captain Bruce wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:44 pm
Invitation to the Future (ITTF) new tix program. Offered to 1.5% of Burners who donate $2,500. and merely guarantees them they can buy a ticket the next two years. This helps fund BORG's salaries, kudos to Marian Goodell !!! This very low % does not adversely effect radical inclusion, and gives BM a better chance of survival for ALL Burners. Also the State of NV demanded vaccinations, it wasn't BORG's decision to make.
Not saying that 100% vax was their call. Just saying that is the event is going to be exclusionary then (considering everything else like only 4 months out and oh yeah Covid) they should cancel. Actually a pretty easy decision.

If you don't see anything wrong with the entitlement of the $2500 fast pass for an event that struggles with the being called a "White" event then I think we just need to agree to disagree.

Oh yeah.....Welcome to ePlaya. :lol:

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm
Komrade Simon, It is for the good of the people.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:42 pm

There was mention of TTITD being a White event.
I am fortunate enough to have a camp-member who is Black. (And being White, I am learning tons from her!)

In 2019, she bought her own ticket. But this year (assuming the Event happens); what with Covid and all, I am gifting her one of my camp's DGS tickets.
(Covid does not reduce my income, and I spend less. So, this is a no-brainer for me.)
Simple.
Not so simple for anyone who is not already a theme-camper, but if we all do what we can, it should help on the overall situation.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Hey Elliot,

Good on you. I'm sure you value her for much more than the superficial color of her skin. Being a Burner should (and I think usually does) transcend things that don't matter for a strong community.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the Burn is a white event. That is a perception by some. I think different people attend (or don't) for different reasons and most of them are white. Not good or bad, it just is.

I'm just surprised that the BORG who went as far as changing the theme out of some far fetched concern that it would be associated with colonialism didn't have the same concern when they proposed the 2 year fast pass. Aren't they concerned people will associate that with entitlement & privilege (dare I say white privilege)? What about the perception of that?

I think the obvious answer is no because it directly impacts their income. They have already said that the revenue from one event doesn't get spent supporting the next one but instead goes to all the other projects & expenses. I think they are PC up to the point where it impacts their wallets. I get it, we all need to eat. Some just eat better than others I guess.

I'm way past my idyllic notion of what I thought Burning Man was. I'm just disappointed in some of the decisions the BORG make that seem antithetical to the 10 principals.

Here's one for you.......

Decommodification!

For fucks sake! They are selling access to the Burn. Am I the only one with a problem with that?

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 pm

End rant & signing off.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:10 pm

I have a different twist on this ...

... basically, we just rewind the clock to 2003.

None of the ridiculous principles back then, just Tesla coils and bad techno. Perfect vacation.

Fuck yet day meant something different ...

And every hippie was solved with a hammer.

I mean, WTF would you expect from the glitterati when their whole lifestyle is on the line? The whole altruistic bullshit gets thrown out the window and we get to peek under the emperors toga. - surprise! It’s hairy under there!

If I could find a reliable ranch hand, fuck it, I’d actually go just to see the trainwreck.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:35 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:53 pm
Decommodification! [/size]

For fucks sake! They are selling access to the Burn. Am I the only one with a problem with that?
Hear hear to all you've posted above!

On another note, funny how only with this new 2-year precommodification ticket scheme that they make the "pre-sale" ticket price premium cover only the cost of access to buy a ticket in the pre-sale as they always should have done.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:28 am
Simon of the Playa wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm
Komrade Simon, It is for the good of the people.

i'm actually looking forward to mine, and have made an appointment to get it bleached.
Frida Be You & Me

art walsh

Post by art walsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 am

I've never been to Burningman, but hope to go if it happens this year. I've spent hundreds of hours on eplaya , Reddit, and burningman.org trying to get a good feeling re: BM.

One of the main themes has been diversity and radical inclusion.
I've yet to see anything saying or implying that any group - be it religion, race, ethnicity, age, etc - is being excluded. As far as I can see, everyone is invited. Sure, some groups may be under represented for a variety of reasons - e.g. I think Inuits are probably under represented because they would have problems with the heat.

People from different "groups" have different ideas of what to them is the way to spend a vacation, holiday, adventure etc. I don't think (in general) a Buddhist's idea of a vacation would be BM. Different strokes for different folks.

It appears that a lot of the discussion is bordering on trying to be politically correct.

If we open our arms to everyone and invite them in, but they don't come, are we expected to keep trying to convince them to come?

I agree that cost can be a consideration. But, lots of activities cost. Average NBA ticket - $94. Disneyland - over $100/day. How one spends their money is up to them. I bet if you looked at the "diversity" of these 2, you would find that there is a lack of diversity. How different "groups" spend vacation $$s varies depending on the group.

The Rod

Post by The Rod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 am

No you’re missing the point. If an event for some reason has barriers to attend that apply to marginalized groups, like access to vaccines and purchasable ticket privileges then it is not an inclusive event, there is exclusion. Whether by design or inherent. Inherent exclusion looks like people that can’t afford tickets because they’re expensive because it costs a lot of money to throw the event. The solution was the low income ticket system, which worked great. Designed exclusion is setting up systems that allow people with more means to bypass barriers that all or some face in order to attend, like prepurchased ticket privileges. The solution would be to not offer incentives to “pay your way”.

For an event than is supposedly based in the principle of RADICAL INCLUSION, it goes far beyond mere political correctness, it’s core to the values of the event. This isn’t Disney land or a sporting event. It’s burning man, which is participant driven. And when participant access is limited or reduced the event will suffer.

The Rod

Post by The Rod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:53 pm

No.

And yes colonialism is problematic and the theme was obviously a reference to European expansion.

art walsh

Post by art walsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:58 am

It has ben said that the additional money collected from the $900 "fee" for FOMO tickets helped offset the reduced revenue for low income tickets. $900 x 4000 = $3.6 million. That subsidy has gone away with no FOMO tickets. It has been replaced with the additional revenue from the $2500 right to purchase. The "fee" collect is $1250 per ticket for 2 years, or, $1.25 million/yr. One replaces the other but the revenue drops $2 million+. So, do away with FOMO, do away with "purchasing rights". Replacing the $3.6 million by raising regular ticket price. Just raise regular ticket prices by $60 ($3,600,000/60,000 full price tickets).
"Designed exclusion" by having 1000 higher priced access to tickets helps overcome "inherent exclusion" for 3000
low income tickets. You exclude 1000, but this add 3000 included. Net 2000 included.

Almost everything in life can be called exclusionary one way or the other. I'm excluded from Augusta Golf Club since I can't afford $300,000 initiation fee (and don't have 2 members proposing me) .

The Rod

Post by The Rod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:12 am

Yes but using a balance sheet arithmetic to justify it doesn’t make sense considering the diversity of the BMORGs revenue. Ticket sales are no longer the bread and butter of the Org and the Project. If the BMORG really stabilized its finances and is no longer dependent on an event happening to sustain itself and other projects then ticket prices are arbitrary.

Using relative privation to justify it doesn’t work either. Augusta Golf Club doesn’t have it written in to its charter that they “welcome the stranger” and that “all have the capacity to positively contribute”. Burning Man is supposed to be just about anything but a private club.
Last edited by The Rod on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rod

Post by The Rod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 am

Also worth pointing ting out is that the low income program existed long before FOMO and VIP access to tickets did. One does not justify the other.

art walsh

Post by art walsh » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:31 am

Didn't realize BM wasn't dependent on ticket sales. Read that 90% of income was from tickets. (per donation requests last year).

The Rod

Post by The Rod » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:13 am

In order to put on the event they need to raise millions of dollars by selling tickets.

In order to sustain the project and related companies they need to collect 1.5 million in donations, which they did.

Diversifying revenue streams helped a lot with that as well.

Since the budgeting of an event year is different than a non-event year and they’ve said they can weather 1-2 more non-event years, we can’t really determine how much of what pays for what without seeing their actual financial statements.

Return to “Open Discussion”