All things outside of Burning Man.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: The 2021 Burning Man Bar is open

Post by gaminwench » Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm

Rhino:

We've also got wild flaming azalea!
We're in the very NE corner of Georgia; spring is so very different here than in SoCal or West Texas.

Loving it.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon May 03, 2021 2:54 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 pm
Rhino:

We've also got wild flaming azalea!
We're in the very NE corner of Georgia; spring is so very different here than in SoCal or West Texas.

Just you wait. gaminwench.....the magnolias are LOVELY in the summertime.

Loving it.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed May 05, 2021 5:46 am

nq210505.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun May 09, 2021 6:03 am

nq210508.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun May 09, 2021 6:35 am

FIGJAM wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:03 am
nq210508.gif

Seems legit
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am

Elliot wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:58 am
Wonderful news, indeed, Box Burner.
And I am delighted to share my birthday with the young lady.

But your signature blurb puzzles me.
Socrates compared humanity to birds of pray, or some such? It is Greek to me.
The Ancient Greek phrase ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ (ho de anexetastos bios ou biôtos anthrôpôi) or “the unexamined life (is) no life (for a) man/human” is usually translated as “the unexamined life is not worth living”.

It was recorded by Plato (Dialogues, Apology of Socrates, 38a) as a statement made in a speech made by Socrates (469BC — 399BC) at his trial for the alleged crime of corrupting the morals of Athen’s youth with his philosophy. He was found guilty and eventually died after drinking hemlock as punishment.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am

Howdy all.

News is that I am going to retire from the workforce and just do as I please. Told them at work that I am quitting and the 17th is my last day at work.

Got Lots of projects at home and have had zero time to work on them, so now my time is reserved for myself.

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Box burner:

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your removal from the workforce. I don’t call it retirement because it’s actually a redirection of your efforts. Long may you enjoy your redirection!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon May 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Box Burner wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am
... ...
The Ancient Greek phrase ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ (ho de anexetastos bios ou biôtos anthrôpôi) or “the unexamined life (is) no life (for a) man/human” is usually translated as “the unexamined life is not worth living”.
... ...
Ah, yes. This I recognize, of course -- in English. So... GoogleTranslate failed me rather spectacularly! LOL

I first learned of Socrates being forced to "execute himself" with poison long ago -- maybe even in high school.
Now, it so happens I am currently reading a college textbook on Western Civilizations (faint attempts thereto, if you ask me), and there they are again -- Socrates and his view of Things, next his student Plato going all Spiritual on his teacher, and finally Plato's student Aristotle harrumphing at both of them and making sense of it and calling his conclusion the Golden Mean.
Good stuff to review any time of life!

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Mon May 10, 2021 10:50 pm

Elliot:

After your review of the Greek I suggest also a review of Roman civilization. I first became acquainted with the work of Pliny the Younger a few years ago when I found out he was one of the witnesses to the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D.

Talk about history repeating itself: Vesuvius erupted again in 1944 during World War II, where it was reported on by the famous war correspondent Ernie Pyle. At the time American forces moving north up the Italian peninsula thought the explosions were due to German artillery fire.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 pm

Yes, indeed.

And thanks to the pandemic, I have brushed up on quite a bit of history over the last 14 months, starting with Genghis Khan.

At the moment, I am in the Renaissance with one Michel de Montaigne. He is one of several thru the ages who figured out that "the more I learn, the better I realize how little I know" -- or "how little I can know", as I am tempted to think of it.

And, being me... I have found some favorites here and there.
One of them was -- of all things! -- a pope! And for a pope, he was a Frenchman! Sylvester the Second, around 1000 AD. He was a scholar and scientist, and only accidentally involved with religion, because monasteries were the "universities" of the era. He may have been the one who introduced Arabic numerals to Western Europe, having studied in "occupied" Spain.

The Roman Empire?
Pax Romana was anything but.

In closing, Carthago must be destroyed.
(And they sure did.)

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:58 am

Box Burner wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am
Howdy all.

News is that I am going to retire from the workforce and just do as I please. Told them at work that I am quitting and the 17th is my last day at work.

Got Lots of projects at home and have had zero time to work on them, so now my time is reserved for myself.
CONGRATULATIONS!
:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue May 11, 2021 6:35 am

Box Burner wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am
Howdy all.

Hey there BB! Always so nice to seeya!
wow, congratulations on "retirement". Pace yourself! Retirement can be more work and busier than "working". Ask me how I know! I unretired some years ago.

I do enjoy the old philosophers. Back then, people had to be "real", and self reliant, and I think so much of what they said, reflected that. Life was so much harsher. But, freedom was real. "sink or swim", but by your own hand.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue May 11, 2021 4:18 pm

We have before us one of those petty disagreements which have curbed human progress thru the millennia.

Such as in today's example, which brings me to ask....
Were the three humans who are being sold in this illustration of the wonderful ancient times of great freedoms... really masters of their own fate?

Slavery and serfdom were widespread and "normal" in ancient times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Greece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome

But the real question is this:
Can humanity expect to ever advance beyond Survival Of The Most Strong And Selfish?
Can we ever find it in us to make Darwin obsolete?

We still enslave and murder people wholesale.

But we have already invented speech and written languages, and a few of us – such as those philosophers mentioned above -- have actually grasped the nature of the problem.
Not solved it, by a long shot, but understood the basic nature of the human mind, and shared this with those of us who bother to read up on it – such as those of us who frequent this "bar", whom I salute.

Methinks we need to ask ourselves – perhaps once a generation, or once a millennium, but be certain to ask from time to time -- this question which is central to the human condition: Can we find a humane way to avoid down-breeding ourselves, and instead create a society where humans of all abilities can enjoy life?
As in... a rising tide lifts all ships?

Of course, any attempt to establish such a habit of sincere introspection would be premature for a few thousand years yet:

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 pm

I'd also submit:
"Should" we take Darwin out of the picture?
We are the result of the smartest, strongest, and at times the luckiest, surviving and breeding.
That drive to survive, and those who were able, created (IMHO), a hard wired programming to be competitive, and drive to succeed.
Some are more successful, for a variety of reasons.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue May 11, 2021 7:38 pm

Valid question. And if Covid-19, or the next Strongest And Smartest, sends humanity off to eternally hunt with the dinosaurs, three cheers for Darwin.

But I feel poorly qualified to answer this question from any personal perspective. Perhaps we can ask this guy:

...After his family finishes dinner, of course:

EDIT to complete the thought:
(I have to walk around and pull weeds and water seedlings in order to think. :lol: )

I imagine rating human experiences and emotions on a scale. Call it "numbers" for convenience – both positive and negative numbers.

Joy and pleasure rate positive numbers.
Pain and desperation rate negative numbers.
It is part of my personal philosophy that people should average in the positive range.

Mind you; setbacks, problems, and sorrows are normal. They are even necessary for development of a well-balanced mind.
We have seen only too blatantly in recent years what happens when someone's upbringing is too easy and devoid of intellectual and emotional challenges.

My contribution to this discussion is that we – humanity, with all the wealth and knowledge we have acquired – can now ["now", as in "finally"] afford to eradicate the necessity of any lives being lived primarily in the range of negative "numbers".

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 am

have some thoughts on that but will have to go into it later when I have more time.

In the meantime . . .

How about some whisky :)

^Rhino!

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks, Box Burner.

Make mine a Rubenesque Bourbon from Wood Hat Distillery of Montgomery County, Missouri.

As to the question at hand....yggy, I still favor the Darwinian approach, but with one small enhancement that fits within the frame. That enhancement is getting humanity to value the need and satisfaction of voluntarism and community. In other words, whenever and where ever possible, give of yourself to others expecting nothing nor asking nothing in return. The satisfaction level to be attained is phenomenal. A kind word. A hug. Doing something simply because it's right.

Within the framework of state government, I did what was right whenever possible. I kept my eyes wide open and paid attention. I gave my job conscious thought (though some would dodge that by saying "It's above my pay grade"). One bridge I did the initial foundation engineering study for needed 500,000 cubic yards of fill dirt to construct an embankment for a bridge to keep it from obstructing the floodplain. Close by was a rural high school which had run out of flat space to construct a ballfield for the students. I came up with the idea that the bridge contractor could level the necessary space for the high school and pay them for the dirt removed (to be used for the bridge). The school district would get the money for seeding, fencing, bleachers, and a concession stand; not having to pay a dime for the land to be leveled. My whole idea simply revolved around everyone working together towards two common goals in a win-win situation. I suggested it because it seemed to me to be the right thing to do. I've never met any of the kids who use that ballfield today, but you can imagine the deep sense of satisfaction I get today.

When the chips are down, everyone needs to help in what ever manner they're able. The sense of community benefits all. and the society advances.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
(lux, veritas, lardum)

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed May 12, 2021 2:58 pm

Thanks, Box Burner!
I drink less and less alcohol as I try to use my brain more and more (with or without much luck! :lol: ).
But I do enjoy the flavors of Kentucky Bourbons, so I will have a sip, much obliged.

(And I just finished scrapping a handful derelict Playa Bicycles, so I deserve a reward. :wink: )

Thanks, Rhino!
You are talking about exactly what I mentioned earlier, about how A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships.
And I was about to introduce its evil opposite, Zero Sum Game -- which only exists in the board game Monopoly, yet is believed to be real by millions of folks and the orange calf they worship.

Ooops... I violated the Whisky Cease Fire, didn't I. :roll:

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Thu May 13, 2021 12:39 pm

*pours drinks for all*

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm

Right. Thanks, Burner von Braun! I will try harder.

And we do seem to have a scheduling conflict, what with the Eternal Cycles Of Slaughtering The Infidels Over Nuances Of Religious Doctrine currently in session in the Middle East.

Let's see....
Judaism (way BC) begat Christianity (circa 30 AD), which begat Islam (circa 622 AD), which begat Jihad (infinity – or until Paradise runs out of virgins).

'Round and 'round the Earth it goes.
When the Sun stops, no-one knows.

By which I mean... the Realm Of Human Superstition (tm – and you thought Facebook was the biggest, richest, and most misguided entity on Earth!) is still waiting for its Copernicus to properly arrange their religious orbits (priorities).

In other news.... The most corrupt human activity currently on the planet, not involving weapons and/or superstition... just might actually be Formula 1 automobile racing.

More news... today is my Day of Covid-19 Celebration: Two weeks since my second Moderna squirt -- I am now Fully Vaccinated!

More news: Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy arrived today. I somehow never read it before. Glancing thru it, it looks hilarious, and I'm setting aside a week to enjoy it. (It is a detailed description of Hell.)

Now, as for ePlaya, I'm outta here. Maybe you will see me in open camping in 2022. Or not. I'm looking at small condos in southern Norway. University town. Walk or bicycle to everything.

This sure sounds better than living in the middle of a Methamphetamine Shopping Mall (a proud Trump brand, judging by all the Confederate battle flags) as I do here in Clearlake.

Oops.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 am

Elliot wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:49 pm
Right. Thanks, Burner von Braun! I will try harder.

And we do seem to have a scheduling conflict, what with the Eternal Cycles Of Slaughtering The Infidels Over Nuances Of Religious Doctrine currently in session in the Middle East.

Let's see....
Judaism (way BC) begat Christianity (circa 30 AD), which begat Islam (circa 622 AD), which begat Jihad (infinity – or until Paradise runs out of virgins).

'Round and 'round the Earth it goes.
When the Sun stops, no-one knows.

By which I mean... the Realm Of Human Superstition (tm – and you thought Facebook was the biggest, richest, and most misguided entity on Earth!) is still waiting for its Copernicus to properly arrange their religious orbits (priorities).

In other news.... The most corrupt human activity currently on the planet, not involving weapons and/or superstition... just might actually be Formula 1 automobile racing.

More news... today is my Day of Covid-19 Celebration: Two weeks since my second Moderna squirt -- I am now Fully Vaccinated!

More news: Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy arrived today. I somehow never read it before. Glancing thru it, it looks hilarious, and I'm setting aside a week to enjoy it. (It is a detailed description of Hell.)

Now, as for ePlaya, I'm outta here. Maybe you will see me in open camping in 2022. Or not. I'm looking at small condos in southern Norway. University town. Walk or bicycle to everything.

This sure sounds better than living in the middle of a Methamphetamine Shopping Mall (a proud Trump brand, judging by all the Confederate battle flags) as I do here in Clearlake.

Oops.
You’ll be missed here. Take care, enjoy new adventures, I’m a tad jealous :) :coffee:
Oh and I applaud your fortitude lasting as long as you did in Meth Mall Merica
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat May 15, 2021 12:18 am

Well there's a whole lot to 'unpack' there Elliot! Much to consider.

Meanwhile, if you do decide to take a break from eplaya, I hope you continue to stop in from time to time. You always seem to have something interesting to say.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 am

*wanders in, sets up bar for breakfast*
Hi BVB!
A toast:
Happy trials, Elliot! I hope you find that which you seek! SKAL!!!

Also, and old adage: "be careful what you ask for".
Hi Lucky!

I'm thinking I should sell my camp trailer. Reality is I may not visit the playa for any length of time, again. As such I could just tent or sleep in my truck.
*heads for ROS*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 am

ygmir wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 am
Hi BVB!
A toast:

Hi Lucky!

I'm thinking I should sell my camp trailer. Reality is I may not visit the playa for any length of time, again. As such I could just tent or sleep in my truck.
*heads for ROS*
The big RV? :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat May 15, 2021 1:19 pm

Thanks, Ygmir! Wonderfully kind of you to say, and I treasure your friendship. Skål!

Most likely... the reality is that I am stuck here in Clearlake. (...Until a wildfire levels the place, which may not be long -- my grapevines are drying out, the ground is so parched.)

Time will tell.
"It is difficult to make predictions – especially about the future." –Niels Bohr

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 am
ygmir wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 am
Hi BVB!
A toast:

Hi Lucky!

*heads for ROS*
The big RV? :coffee:
big rv?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 am

cheers elliot....safe and happy trails.

but, you'll be back.

they always come back...🔥🔥🔥
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun May 16, 2021 6:43 am

Loving the early sunrises, I'd take that year around!

Hi Elliot,

When Big Dale retired he passed the mobility camp on to new owners. But he would still bring his bus and solo camp with his wife on the outskirts, beyond K or whatever the last street is. I think he might have rejoined a camp, but that is not organizing a camp!

Norway is not so far away. There, they have Slinningsbålet, and surely many surviving pagan ritual celebrations! My friend's father is Norwegian. They built an ADU for him in their house, but then he met a comfortably wealthy Norwegian woman, and they mostly travel the world now.

Plus you get to write your memoirs! Happy trails!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 am

*wanders in through swinging doors*
*notes lack of patrons*
Well, I'll just make some coffee, maybe the aroma will bring folks in? *starts ECM*
I might head out to the playa today, just for an over night, to see how it is, before the masses descend for the long weekend...
*fills bowl with Cheeze Doodles, sets saucer of whiskey in rafters, put neat bourbon and cigar in dark corner booth, spreads out NEB and kicks ABM*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Open Discussion”