Re: EDM industry news

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:03 pm

Frida Be You & Me

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Looks super legit
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Bassnectar, who built his career on Burning Man, faces serious charges in federal court civil suit

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ar-lawsuit
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:57 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:29 pm
Bassnectar, who built his career on Burning Man, faces serious charges in federal court civil suit

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ar-lawsuit
do they have receipts? I read it and there’s so much shit in there that is so far fetched that I’m really having a hard time believing it. Almost Q level

*edited out the harsh words because if it’s true, yes truly gross and criminal. Reading the whole thing, it’s just so bizarre to me that he’s not arrested.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:20 am

So reading the Vice article on bassnectar, it’s gross. If true, There should be a shit ton of evidence floating to the top before long. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:46 pm

An ad came across one of my social media feeds from a festival ticketing startup. Of course they have flowery marketing writing.

I'll omit the identifying information. They are going through a crowdfunding platform which skirts SEC qualified investor rules. Essentially it is a monthly membership to the Exp*dia of festival ticketing. There is at least one other similar startup in the UK. It would run parallel to EverF*st, founded by Burning Man's own founding board member when the BMORG became a nonprofit, and now former board member, Chip Conley. (Never met him, but he seems to be an upright guy)

The point is festivals are becoming an ever bigger business of mergers, acquisitions, and auxiliary services to syphon revenue and market to you with private data.

It is actually amazing and a good thing the our Burning Man campouts are staying out of that world.

It is also a contrast to competing Burning Man community formation. The OG way most of us came to the BM world is through friends who guided us through our first burn. For the last few years we are getting more virgins from the Internet, no personal friend connection required.

"Make your experiential life an intentional priority"

"Our data-driven recommendation engine creates a personalized journey for every subscriber, delivering rapid growth in recurring revenue."

"Our average cost per acquisition (CPA) is less than $50 per member, against an average revenue per year (RPU) of $600+ per member."

"According to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc, the global online event ticketing market size is expected to reach $68 billion USD by 2025, exhibiting a 4.8% CAGR during the forecast period."

"Creating one of the largest data sets in global entertainment with deterministic approach to who is attending event

"Integrated with consumer datagraph of over 300 million US consumers"

*Basically that means they are probably subscribing to your Equ*fax/similar data aggregator private data and your FB friend list

"Powerful recommendation engine helping members discover events they will love analogous to Netflix content discovery"

"Credit based dynamic pricing model leveraging data to increase LTV of members"

"We’ve got $500K+ of media credit available, and we plan to spend all of it on ads targeting new members, who pay for their own acquisitions in an average of 2 months."

"This dynamic creates an optimal fragmented environment for a marketplace to increase ticket volume and normalize pricing for the consumer via subscription."

etc...
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Open Discussion”