All things outside of Burning Man.
MrSina
Burning Since: 2019

Electric Bikes Rental

Post by MrSina » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 am

Hey guys !
This is our first year doing burning man,
And we are searching for E-Bikes to rent,
Someone maybe knows a person/place that’s renting E-Bikes for a week and a half??
Thank for the help !

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Electric Bikes Rental

Post by lucky420 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:12 am

Never hears of ebike rentals for a week or so. My etrike takes such a beating out there...

Good luck to you and if you find a place, would you please let us know

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:40 am

pBikes seem to be the most popular on the playa. Those are the ones that you pedal yourself. The electric ones are pretty rare, but are beaten to death by the end of the week. You will hard pressed to find anyone foolish enough to rent those out, as they will be completely spent by the end of the week.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Electric golf-carts and e-bikes seem to take a beating to their electrical systems. I've seen many a group gathered around them poking and pulling wondering why the usual fixes don't work.

E-bike batteries are likely LiPO or LiFePO4. Without them having a good BMS (battery management system), with the heat on the playa, there can be issues. The speed limit on the playa is 5 mph, so you're not likely to brick a cell (hence pack) while driving. But when charging, if it doesn't have a good internal BMS you may brick it. The parts for my LiFePO4 48 V 12 Ah cost me $700. So if you brick a pack you could be facing a large repair bill.

With the 5 mph speed limit, few find they need e-bike on the playa.

With with bike 'borrowing' and bike thefts, you'd really have to stay on top of not turning your back on it unless it is adequately locked up.

If I was renting one out to go to BRC, I'd want full replacment cost as a deposit.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Open Discussion”