More on big steam locomotive coming thru Black Rock/Gerlach

All things outside of Burning Man.
zephyrus

More on big steam locomotive coming thru Black Rock/Gerlach

Post by zephyrus » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:47 pm

The world's largest operating steam locomotive (Union Pacific Railroad Challenger-type) will be making a service stop in Gerlach itself on Tuesday, August 30. I just confirmed that. It will probably be there between 1 and 2 PM, but could arrive anytime between 1 PM and 4 PM.

TUESDAY, AUGUST 30, 2005, SCHEDULE:

Depart Elko: 0800

Arrive Winnemucca: 1030 Service stop at yard office

Depart Winnemucca 1100

Arrive Gerlach 1400 Service stop

Depart Gerlach: 1430

I am told they are going to put on a bit of a show when they pass Black Rock City (whistle, smoke, etc.) before they do their water stop in Gerlach.

They're looking forward to seeing Burners out there. If anyone is going to stop on their way in to see it, it has been suggested that they be on the south side of the railroad tracks to minimize the crowd in Gerlach itself. Also, BE CAREFUL. This is a live railroad. If you stop to see it, or want to wait for it, do not park next to the tracks or be walking on them. When it arrives, follow the instructions of the crew.

It sounds like the crew would like to do a photo shoot with as many Burners as they can with the locomotive itself. In Playa regalia, partly clad, nude, body painted, whatever, provided we can do it in a way that does not upset the folks in Gerlach or get the police down on us. And, as mentioned, since this is a crew of guys, they would really like to have lady Burners posing with their engine for some shots.

Other Burners have told me that the bus would be a good option for those who are already in the city and still want to come see. For those coming up on Tuesday who want to stop, just remember to not clog up the highway and be careful when/if you cross the road.

This is all totally unofficial. Just taking advantage of their water stop to give the Burners a little treat.

For those who didn't see the earlier post: This is a 63 year old steam locomotive and the largest operating steam locomotive in the world. Its over 120 feet long, weights over 1 million pounds and its on a little trip to Northern California and Portland, OR. Doesn't get out this way much. Its part of a historical collection in Wyoming.

If you like cool, unusual and BIG machines, you'll get a real kick out of this thing. :twisted:

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:11 pm

bring back the railroads and defeat peak oil for at least for a few more decades....
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: More on big steam locomotive coming thru Black Rock/Gerl

Post by Eric » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:37 am

zephyrus wrote:The world's largest operating steam locomotive (Union Pacific Railroad Challenger-type) will be making a service stop in Gerlach itself on Tuesday, August 30. I just confirmed that. It will probably be there between 1 and 2 PM, but could arrive anytime between 1 PM and 4 PM.
Trains, yum.
Dates are checked & correct, too bad the playa will wipe my brain between Monday & Tuesday. *sigh*
http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/up3985.shtml

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:15 am

Hey Thanks, Zeph. I need to see this thing.

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:01 am

i am visualizing a really neat photo opportunity...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:37 am

no kidding
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:48 am

cowboyangel wrote:bring back the railroads and defeat peak oil for at least for a few more decades....
the railroads didn't go away, long distance passenger trains on the other hand, have lost their ridership.

Railroads profit from trucking troubles

A little history
By the 1960s, the passenger train was rarely considered as a means of travel anymore. In October 1971 Congress passed the Rail Passenger Service Act, which created Amtrak, a private company. On May 1st 1971 it began managing a nation wide rail system dedicated to passenger service[87]. Dee Brown, writer of Hear That Lonesome Whistle Blow (1977), has his own opinion on Amtrak: "… Now only a handful of efficiently operated railroads remain. Most of the passenger traffic has been subsidized by the people's money in a bureaucratic absurdity known as Amtrak, which attempts to run passenger trains over privately owned tracks so worn out that they would not have passed inspection during construction of the first transcontinental railways a century ago[88]". "Today, in the 1970s, Amtrak offers passage from New York to San Francisco in seventy-four hours (if the trains run on time) on an obsolete system that offers neither safety nor elegance[89]". Then again, Brown wrote this over twenty years ago.

By the end of the twentieth century, the emphasis in passenger travel lies mostly on luxury rail journeys for adventurers or railway fanatics. Trips to the Grand Canyon, the American and Canadian Rockies, the Pacific Coast, or scenic tours of Vermont are offered by a variety of companies throughout the country. This is not a twentieth century novelty. Decades earlier, the major western railroads sought to promote parks along their routes as a way of encouraging transcontinental passenger traffic. Railroad tourism characteristically involved delivering hundreds of wealthy travelers to a single passenger depot, from where they traveled by horse and stage to a large, luxurious hotel. The railroad companies spent large sums on advertising and other promotional packages to show Americans the wonders of the western landscape. Places such as Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and most other western parks were introduced to the public in this manner[90].

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:28 am

Amtrak needs our support just like Japan and the European countries support their trains. Leaving it to run on a shoestring budget that they have to fight over every single year is partly why it's in such sorry shape. It needs money and it needs to be elevated above the petty partisan politics of the purse strings....you'll either run a train through here or I won't support you. Cut that crap out, spend the money to rebuild the basic infrastructure and passenger rail could easily become viable again.

And I'm sorry Joel but I'm an Amtrak supporter. I'll speak up if anyone slams it.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:35 am

The railroad companies spent large sums on advertising and other promotional packages to show Americans the wonders of the western landscape. Places such as Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and most other western parks were introduced to the public in this manner[90].
FYI The railroad companies never really expected to profit from their transcontinental real roads. They were speculative investments. Stock brokers made their money selling stock they bought at the beginning then unloaded them soon after.

The railroads made their money not from the tickets but from all the mining, logging and lands given to them from congressional incentive bills that they bribed from the congressmen with free stocks given to them much like the oil companies are doing with the Bush energy bill.

For every track that went in, they are given up to five miles from the tracks land. From that lands, the railroad created subsidiaries in mining and logging and thousands of cities and towns in which they sold the lands to create towns such as Billings, MT Fargo, ND and the many others.

Today, the railroad companies make their money only from freight services and as far as I know, none have any passenger services unless they are some sort of freak tourist attractions like the Durango Rail in southern Colo.

AS I write this, I'm in Harlowtown, Montana drinking java, looking across the street at the E57B Locomotive of the Milwaukee (rail) Road. The only transcontinental railroad to run entirely on electric. The defunct rail is abandoned, the tracks torn up and the engine is a tourist showpiece along the highway. Perhaps, it's demise was premature for someday maybe someone would rebuild an transcontinental line that would once again run on electric.

That Factoid Brought to you by

AIIZ

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:03 pm

Was a train fan all my life. My dad was a HUGE train buff, which naturally means that I became one to some extent. This engine pulling through Gerlach is HUGE. I'm really sorry I'm not going to be out there in time to catch it.

Someone take some good shots!
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:27 pm

TheJudge wrote:... This engine pulling through Gerlach is HUGE.
You know donald trump got that HUGE motto from me!

"He's really Huge, Conan! I mean HUGE!

AIIZ

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:44 pm

That's my kind of choo-choo!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:35 am

WooHoo! It is HERE in Ogden right now! Wheee!

http://www.standard.net/standard

(url is to the headline for Aug 26th, if you hit it later you may have to serch the archives) ((and I recognized folks in the video segment!)

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:03 pm

WOW! I'm so tempted. We have a family in our camp with a 5-y.o. Forwarded them the link. I've staring at that fantastic photo of all morning.

If you've never been fortunate enough to be close to one of these marvelous, awe-inspiring iron dragons when they're chugging and whistling and roaring down the tracks, make it a point to do so sometime. It's like being in a movie.

(Although if the track is lined with Burners, it's gonna be a Twilight Zone movie.)

Best of all, IT'S COMING TO PORTLAND!

-c
*happy dance*

Bluebunnybee

Post by Bluebunnybee » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:03 am

cool,
when does it come to Poretland?

Return to “Open Discussion”