reporting a bike theft

All things outside of Burning Man.
edfine
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Burner Boards

reporting a bike theft

Post by edfine » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 am

So my locked bike was stolen on the day of the burn. Yes it is a bummer. How do I report it stolen on the off chance that it show up after the burn? I have the model, serial number stamped into it, photos, etc.

Canoe

Re: reporting a bike theft

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:44 am

Not a good sign that a locked bike was taken. However, often when a bike is taken on the playa, it is just dumped somewhere. Typically, hundred's of bikes are left on the playa. It's a huge problem cleaning them up. So when lost & found opens, get your bike details listed there. But I don't know how much of an inventory of the abandoned bikes is done. If your bike is one that might stick out in someone's mind as they're gathering up bikes, perhaps adding some description of your bike here gets noticed. If nothing else, this thread may get transfered into lost & found sub forum once that opens. If it was decorated, perhaps you have a photo of that you can add.

I don't recall specific instructions regarding a theft. If there are, hopefully somone will post such.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:57 am

Canoe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:44 am
If nothing else, this thread may get transfered into lost & found sub forum once that opens. If it was decorated, perhaps you have a photo of that you can add.
This thread will definitely get moved into the Lost Bikes subforum once that opens. If edfine has pictures of the bike, they should be posted in this thread to make it a bit easier to (hopefully) find.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:25 pm

When I left today, (Tuesday), There were stripped down bikes everywhere. 3 huge bike racks full at Center Camp. the open playa was littered with them. Yours is just one of thousands. The good ones went home with scavengers. I even saw a fat tire frame with just the seat. If you have a good bike, get a good lock. I can open most combos in a minute. Don't ask.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Open Discussion”