The 2021 Burning Man Bar is open

All things outside of Burning Man.
Canoe

Re: The 2021 Burning Man Bar is open

Post by Canoe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 pm

frozen - n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:33 am

Poe indeed!
seems we'd have a "Poe's corner" in here somewhere, with silly poetry written on the walls and furniture?
*starts ECM*

I often fancied myself a truck driver, like Elliot! I envy that experience. Knowing full well I can rarely do anything for a long long time (well, other than stone cutting). Too old and broken now, but, do love watching "Ice Road Truckers"...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:27 am

The Black Death of the 14th century killed half the population of Europe and Asia.
Please stay home until this pandemic is more safely behind us. And wear a mask when you must go out for groceries. The life you save may be mine. Thank you!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:08 pm

By the way, Matt (Le Chat Noir) & Karine in Kentucky checked in today. They are doing fine.
And apparently... the high-falutin' Concours d'Elegance in Lexington wants them to bring The Contraption to the next Concours (hopefully next July).
The Black Death of the 14th century killed half the population of Europe and Asia.
Please stay home until this pandemic is more safely behind us. And wear a mask when you must go out for groceries. The life you save may be mine. Thank you!

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 am

*wanders in, sets up drinks*
Happy Birthday, Doc Pyro!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Happy Birthday Doc!

And thanks for the many times that BDV has hosted the eplaya M&G in the past. I've been fortunate to meet a number of eplayans there over the years.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:43 am

fm201231.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:30 am

*wanders in, sets up bar and food*
Well, "Happy New Year" to everyone!
What a year! Bad for many, good for some, not much change for others. Wherever you land on that spectrum I wish you a happy new year.
I'd caution people on what they wish for: Wishes can be granted in strange ways, and if you're not very specific, it can go sideways. Just sayin, the old addage: "be careful what you wish for" applies here in spades, IMHO.
A toast to those we've lost this year! SKAL!!!
*Kicks ABB, grabs NEB, and heads for ROS*
*notes faint harmonies of OMWs*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNddW2xmZp8
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:48 pm

The most “outsider” I ever feel is reading your posts with all those secret acronyms haha...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:21 pm

Happy New Year's Day!

I am rather rusty myself, but let me try....
NEB = Never Ending Blanket, for all of us to snuggle under.
ROS = Recliner Of Submission, Ygmir's favorite chair in the back of the Bar.
Now... SKAL is not an acronym, but the Scandinavian word skål, meaning cheers as in drinking a toast.
In My Humble Opinion.
How did I do?

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:33 pm

My opinion is that we can all parse the acronyms at will.

Elliot, you did well.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:45 am

Elliot wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:21 pm
Happy New Year's Day!

I am rather rusty myself, but let me try....
NEB = Never Ending Blanket, for all of us to snuggle under.
ROS = Recliner Of Submission, Ygmir's favorite chair in the back of the Bar.
Now... SKAL is not an acronym, but the Scandinavian word skål, meaning cheers as in drinking a toast.
In My Humble Opinion.
How did I do?
Perfect Elliot!
You get an "A" !! and an apple!
And yeah, GW, you're right, interpretation should be up to anyone. Sure, they may mean something to the author, but surely it can be fun to "make your own" meanings !
it started way back in the original "Bar" thread, where there were tons of acronyms. the NEB was an original, as well as ABB (automatic banjo box, IIRC), precursor to the Juke.
Along came OMWs, Oscar Meyer Weiner song
ECM: Elorrums Coffee Machine
COCK: Couch Of Carnal Knowledge
SCC: Simulated Campfire Corner
I'm sure there are others I can't think of now.
It was a pretty colorful place "The Bar", a lot of wonderful characters, running the range from snarky ass hats to super kind and helpful. Some funny, some just thought they were.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:03 am

I'm staying off the "Couch of Carnal Knowledge." It doesn't sound comfortable.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:16 pm

Miura-7 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:03 am
I'm staying off the "Couch of Carnal Knowledge." It doesn't sound comfortable.
perspective is everything.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 am

Morning all

Hey, how many songs on that jukebox reference Georgia? Could be a good day to play some of them

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 pm

The other day I bought on eBay a used tail light lens for a car.
The seller included not only the screw, but also took the trouble to extract from the donor car the spring-clip-nut, on the off chance I should have somehow lost the original.
This is how civilized people do things. There is hope. :D

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:55 am

Ooops... I was wrong. No hope.
We might as well start saying goodbye to each other now.

Japan is planning to hold Olympic Games in July. Because... they do not want to lose face. (Current issue of TIME.)
This surely has the makings of the super-spreader event which will end human life as we know it on the planet. No faces left to lose. The universe will be safe again. Fortyeleven gazillion intelligent species out there will be able to stop avoiding our solar system like the plague.

I'll have a Big Belch Burger, please. Hold the pickle.
And a Twisted Tea, please. Hold the can.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:54 am

Maybe if we change "Stay at home." to "Play at home."

People wouldn't mind distancing so much.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:02 am

Elliot wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 pm
The other day I bought on eBay a used tail light lens for a car.
The seller included not only the screw, but also took the trouble to extract from the donor car the spring-clip-nut, on the off chance I should have somehow lost the original.
This is how civilized people do things. There is hope. :D
what sort of car you working on Elliot?
good idea FJ. play at home, indeed.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 am

Just my daily driver, a Hyundai Santa Fe. Marvelously well-built automobile.

But the Mercedes Diesel you are thinking of... is worthy of a bar-room tale:

No wonder the seller was happy with my $400 for it -- the car was breaking in half. Literally breaking in half, across the back seat area.
So I sold the engine, also for $400. The young man, who said he was a student at a diesel mechanic school, wanted to swap the engine into a mini-pickup. The engine was still in the car, and to my relief he took the whole car with him. That was in July.

A few weeks ago, I received a notice from a towing company, and then one from the California Highway Patrol.
The punk, of course, blamed it on an un-nameable acquaintance, who had volunteered to process the hulk for its scrap metal value, and did not.

Lesson learned:
Never let go of a junk car, except to a licensed dismantler.

How to do it:
More recently, I bought a non-running SAAB to harvest certain parts for a Mutant Vehicle project. As soon as I was done cutting, I took the paperwork -- a dubious chain of hand-scribbled bills of sale -- to the DMV and obtained a "junk slip", at no cost, no trouble. On the way home, I dropped off the junk slip and my address at the local auto dismantler. They came and hauled the SAAB away the next day.

Again, never trust a stranger to bother to do this -- to do anything decent, proper, and correct.
Harrumph.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:02 am

ah yeah, junk cars. ugh. I've had the same headache.
I know it's a big help to immediately fill out the "release of liability" form, and send to DMV. that saved me on the last one, when the "new owner" didn't bother to register it, even though it drove fine. DMV contacted me asking if I had info on where to find him, I did not, and said the only info I had for him was on the release form. That was the end of it for me. Luckily.
Looking at a darn dry winter here, so far. If we don't get an unusual amount of rain in the next 90 days or so, it'll bode a dry summer, and all that goes with that. ugh.
I'd not be surprised to hear 2021 say to 2020 "Hold my beer"...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:55 am

Oh yes, always send in the Release Of Liability that comes with the title.
But between Covid closing the DMV office (I bought the car in March) and the uncertainty of repairing it (I knew I took a gamble when I bought it), I had not titled this Mercedes in my name, so I had no such form.
Yes, I am sure I could have downloaded another form. But the necessity did not occur to me. I am too trusting by nature.

And yes, in a much earlier case -- 20+ years ago -- I was "saved" by that form in a case just like the one you mention.
Some people buy cheap used cars based on how many months remain on the registration tag, and then they abandon the car the first time they are pulled over for expired tag.

On my home planet.... ;-)

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:07 pm

I had a 1980 SD. I've since sold the southern belle body, and now the engine & trans sits on the back of my 86 Toyota duelly, that once was a RV. Should've left them both together, but I was thinking about mounting the engine midway in front of the rear axle. Since my mad scientist brother in law passed away, I've been down sizing my inventory, while saying to myself "What the fuck was I thinking?" Latest project? 18Kilowatt drift trike. Hoping this plan sees the light of completion.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 pm

I used to be a tow truck operator and used to impound cars and I was the one that sent out those notices that you owed eleventy zillion dollars.
Guys would come into the office with those letters saying “oh no, sorry but I sold that car a few years ago”.
And I told them “uh, no you didn’t. You’re the last known registered owner. You may have sold it but you didn’t file a Report Of Sale... you are in fact liable for it”.

Filing the report of sale is literally more important than collecting your money when you sell a car. I’ve even gotten one of those notices myself, that my car (that I’d sold) had been impounded and I owed... but I had filed my report of sale.

If you do it, and the buyer never transfers the title, you will get the notice but you can laugh it off.
If you don’t file the ROS, and the buyer never transfers the title, you’re the one liable for the thing.

File it!! Do that, and you’re off the hook.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:24 am

*wanders in *
Pro tip:
though cumin and cinnamon sort of sound the same, look the same, and come in the same looking container, they do not taste the same, in coffee...

*heads for ROS*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:35 am

"In the ancient Egyptian civilization, cumin was used ... as a preservative in mummification."

Slightly selectively quoted from Wikipedia.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am

Hello the Bar!!!!

Keep saying we will be going back but life keeps getting in the way. Not enough funds. And now (and this is a GOOD thing) there is a new baby in the house. She was 1 year old on x-mas day. So maybe next year? or the next???

miss you all.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:58 am

Wonderful news, indeed, Box Burner.
And I am delighted to share my birthday with the young lady.

But your signature blurb puzzles me.
Socrates compared humanity to birds of pray, or some such? It is Greek to me.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:18 pm

Ooooo! Happiness! Cheer! Wittiness! Well-written English! P.G. Wodehouse!

Example:
It isn’t often that Aunt Dahlia lets her angry passions rise, but when she does, strong men climb trees and pull them up after them.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... st20_house]

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 am

*strolls in*
dang, wish the youtube thing worked, I'm actually watching Saturday Morning Cartoons! And good old ones,Popey, Bugs, Daffy, Road Runner, etc.. I found an obscure "over the air" network that plays 3 hours of them on Saturday Morning! So much happy!
HI BB!! Dang good to seeya! And congrats!
And yeah, Elliot, well written prose is wonderful. Eloquent speech is a pleasure to the ear, and the mind.
I wish I had the gift, and the lexicon.
Some movies and such, are rife with it. I really enjoyed the dialog on the series "Deadwood", and how they mixed cursing with such dialog was interesting. At least to me.
*starts ECM, heads for ROS*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Open Discussion”