what are you making?

All things outside of Burning Man.
^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: what are you making?

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 am

What am I making?

Ever since the friggin' coronavirus hit I've spent a LOT of time living totally alone, but I've manged to perfect my take on Chex mix. It's better for me than that stupid premade prebagged stuff you get at the so-called convenience stores. I'll share the recipe:

Rhino's Party Mix

You'll need:

2 cups corn Chex cereal
2 cups wheat Chex cereal
2 cups rice Chex cereal
3 cups Crispix cereal
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1/2 cup unsalted roasted almonds
1 cup Cheez-it cheese crackers
2 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 stick (1/4 lb or 8 tbsp.) unsalted butter

Don't worry about brand names. I use Kroger's Rice Bitz and Corn Bitz instead of Chex, and they work just fine and are a buck and a half cheaper per box. Seasoning salt is your choice.....you can use Lawry's as a fallback, but any of the Bacon Salts will work, too. I omit the pretzel sticks since I can't find them unsalted, but if you must, add them after the mix is complete so you don't OD on salt. They're already crispy enough.

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F,

Mix together all of the cereals, the cheese crackers, peanuts and almonds in a big bowl. Set it aside.

Now in a second bowl, put in the butter. Melt it in the microwave about 1minute until liquid, Add the seasoning salt, the onion powder, the garlic powder and the Worcestershire sauce. Mix it up with a wire whisk. This is your seasoning mix.

Add the seasoning mix to the bowl of cereals, crackers, and nuts. Stir it up so as to cover everything lightly. Now, pour everything out onto large baking trays or dishes, covering them with a single layer of mix. Put your trays into the oven and bake the mix in for 1 hour and ten minutes.

When you're done, you can pour all of the baked mix into a large serving bowl. It tastes great warm or cold. This recipe makes enough for a party of up to sixteen people, or will feed a Rhino happily for three days.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 am

World's smallest camper. 4ft x 9ft, 4" thick cooler panels front, top, back, & floor. 3" on the sides. Double floor has gallon water containers between. Got 2 Chevy Gen 2 batteries, totalling 55ah, and 120v. 2 wind alternators, one 8 amp, & one 90 amp. Hitch comes off, and can be replaced with a motorcycle fork, with a HP E-bike hub. Torsion axles give me independent suspension. More then enough power for the size, only because this skewer box, is expandable. I was going to call it the Coffin Camper, but decided on "Lego Liven."

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Miura-7 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:49 am
World's smallest camper. 4ft x 9ft, 4" thick cooler panels front, top, back, & floor. 3" on the sides. Double floor has gallon water containers between. Got 2 Chevy Gen 2 batteries, totalling 55ah, and 120v. 2 wind alternators, one 8 amp, & one 90 amp. Hitch comes off, and can be replaced with a motorcycle fork, with a HP E-bike hub. Torsion axles give me independent suspension. More then enough power for the size, only because this skewer box, is expandable. I was going to call it the Coffin Camper, but decided on "Lego Liven."
Pictures please?
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Got a WordPress account, but I haven't gone through the process of setting it up. Long story short I'm computer illiterate. Going home to Vermont soon. Got awesome nieces and nephews to help me in that department. It's sort of frustrating, because I got alot to unveil. I'd actually just prefer to show photos. "It's Safer."

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Actually, now that I look at it, it's nothing more then turning a golf cart into a camper. Still needs a destroylet!!!

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:50 am

I watched the movie,"Into the Wild." That has been my inspiration for more then a decade. My heart goes out to the guy that wrote it, but running one rope across the river could've gave him more chapters. Currently my design exercise leans more toward miniature mobile work bench then a camper. The real deal, and photos will come, when I relocate. The frame I'm currently using now, came off the bottom of the refrigerator box, of my truck. So the trailer will sit perfectly on the back. Gotta get this shit done, and roll out of the South!!!

josbuttlerwk63
Burning Since: 1986

Post by josbuttlerwk63 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:45 am

I enjoy making my own beef jerky using a large dehydrator purchased from the Bass Pro locally. It has several racks, adjustable temperature and timer, and works quite well. I like making my own because I avoid the addition of preservatives, and can control the spices and other flavors in a marinade mix I use to marinade the beef for about 12 hours. I always use London broil, which I slice myself on a home style meat slicer while still partially frozen so I get nice, even slices. The dehydration process usually takes 12–14 hours, and when it is done, the taste and aroma is an absolute delight. I use almost exactly the same recipe to product venison jerky. This is so good I have given friends small baggies of it and they don’t even get home before it is gone and they call to see if I have more they can get from me. Making my own is a labor of love and I enjoy it immensely while producing a product that many feel taste better than any commercial product. That’s hard to beat!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 am

finally got the rock work and steel outer doors done on the Hof. Now, feeling "weather proof". Hoping to get the inside done next year.
22 tons of hand split granite bricks, about 100 working days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:41 am

Shoot Man! That's gonna be a tough castle to storm.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 am

The Hof looks great yg! Quite an achievement! I especially like the 'fractured' granite designs on the side door panels. But really, the whole thing blows my mind! I've said it before somewhere, but I'll say it again; it amazes me how you have the capability to be able to build such a thing! But then again, we're talking about the guy that built the Frankencamper, haha!

Did you have a little ceremony when you put that last granite brick in place?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Miura-7 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:41 am
Shoot Man! That's gonna be a tough castle to storm.
The castle Anthrax!!!!
burner von braun wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 am
The Hof looks great yg! Quite an achievement! I especially like the 'fractured' granite designs on the side door panels. But really, the whole thing blows my mind! I've said it before somewhere, but I'll say it again; it amazes me how you have the capability to be able to build such a thing! But then again, we're talking about the guy that built the Frankencamper, haha!

Did you have a little ceremony when you put that last granite brick in place?
thanks BVB! it's a long, ongoing project, but everything I could make myself and construct, I did.
no ceremony, yet.....I did one when I put the roof on, maybe when it's complete....but anytime is good if friends are there! I hope you can make it one day.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Fuck Yeah! "Anthrax!!!"

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:35 pm

ygmir wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:33 am
finally got the rock work and steel outer doors done on the Hof. ...
Amazing!!!

(Considerably less epic...)
Back in the '80s, I once manged to gather a bit of that wild rice from the lake he mentions. Not even enough for one serving...
Wild Rice Broccoli Cheese Casserole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Odm2pv2ijU
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:07 am

Wow, that's amazing work ygmir!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

M F Bonz
Burning Since: 1999

Post by M F Bonz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:50 pm

25BA53D2-56A5-4CB3-96C6-D3A60B9F9D9F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coincidence, traced far enough back becomes and inevitable.

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:08 pm

Not my work My son made all of this. The Damascus blade is made from the cable with a bronze handle added.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 am

very interesting metal work there Mozy. I've often thought of cable for damascus, but never tried it. looks like it works nicely. well done.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:41 am

ygmir wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 am
very interesting metal work there Mozy. I've often thought of cable for damascus, but never tried it. looks like it works nicely. well done.
Hello my friend.

John is a professional welder at a hydraulic shop and he ended up with the remnants of the end of the cable spool. Like you see in the picture He has to twist it more after it comes out of the forge to tighten up those lines.. The fire box was done at his work shop. The edge blade was done in his home forge.

I will post some more pics of his blades when I can reduce the size of the pictures. He was interviewed a couple times for the forged in fire show but never made it to the show.

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:10 am

We have more if you want some.
You need to weld up the ends before you stick it in the Forge.

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:32 am

You know I’ve been watching your work for years. The Quality of the finished product does not surprise me.
We both know that a project never really ends though. That’s the fun part for me.
If there was only a ...Burners Without Borders fire pit thread... to sit around and talk about this kind of stuff. hmmmm.

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am

M F Bonz wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:10 am
He just said about 40 or 50 feet left. I think we can spare a piece.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:35 pm

M F Bonz wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:22 am
M F Bonz wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:10 am
He just said about 40 or 50 feet left. I think we can spare a piece.
HI Mozy. Long time no see!
That metal work is very nice indeed. I'm sure he's very proud, as are you, of his skills. you're no slouch, either, in the world of makin'...
I have some cable, thanks though. Also have my grandfathers forge, anvil, and tooling. Just gotta get time...but I'm glad to see cable will work. Might take me a few tries to get it as nice, but, well, that's part of the fun!
I, and I'm sure others, will look forward to more blade pics. Blades are a special, magical treat to make by hand, and see made.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 pm

Yes I’m very proud. He does other types of Damascus also. He built the bike, some cars and small metal toys on brakes or at lunchtime out of the scrap bin. The firebox’s breaks down flat for storage or transportation. I think he got the patterns off the Internet for the CC machine. He built his own forge and Anvil. I’ll try and post some pictures he documented it pretty good. Him and his girlfriend moved into a new house. So he doesn’t have the same shop space. They were hoping to move into a good place for that before the pandemic ....but not after that hit. Not much work coming out unfortunately.

When I told him you had interest in making Damascus with cable.

He said... “”Oh cool I have some prepared he can have.””
The ends are already welded up, clean and ready for the forge.

He sent me a picture of it but I need to reduce it ..it’s too big to post on here. I think the cable is inch or inch and a quarter. Nice size for forging.
53E03B60-EE8E-46D4-87B6-6EDDB9A1A7FA.jpeg

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:19 pm

68B2155F-969B-4F31-91B4-F8A92C9E53C0.jpeg
Cable is 1.25

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 am

Beautiful work there!
I love the blade pattern.
Some people are have the "touch"for things, more than skill, it's art. I see your son has this for metal. So glad he found it and follows it. Many go in different directions and don't allow their natural talents to flower.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 pm

I have more I’ll post.... that anvil is the one he built the stand is actually solid like a ram you would use to knock down a building with. That’s the kind of equipment he works on. The CC machine he uses ....I thing will cut 6 to 8 inches or so of steel. The bump will ever let me back into the office I’ll try and find a picture of him cutting the anvil out.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:31 pm

M F Bonz wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 pm
I have more I’ll post.... that anvil is the one he built the stand is actually solid like a ram you would use to knock down a building with. That’s the kind of equipment he works on. The CC machine he uses ....I thing will cut 6 to 8 inches or so of steel. The bump will ever let me back into the office I’ll try and find a picture of him cutting the anvil out.
always enjoy photos of the good work of a craftsman. and tools...
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:15 pm

8FB7F1E9-D196-44A6-BAD8-8FF06D963A97.jpeg
F8EDA15B-1F47-4B92-983A-2CC1264C13C1.jpeg

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am

Various "Twists" of high/low carbon steel can produce some dramatic looks, and some great edges, but does anyone know of anyone getting close to true 'Damascus' steel?
The closest I've seen are some knives coming out of NW India.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

M F Bonz

Post by M F Bonz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:14 am

Canoe wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:09 am
Various "Twists" of high/low carbon steel can produce some dramatic looks, and some great edges, but does anyone know of anyone getting close to true 'Damascus' steel?
The closest I've seen are some knives coming out of NW India.
I agree. People tend to use the word “”Damascus””as a general description of a style of metal work.
I don’t know the answer to your question. l did pose the question to my son.

I would guess that you would need to know the metallurgy used at the time to reproduce a period correct Damascus blade. Today we have and use modern steel. Although we do look for old tool steel to use.

Edit>> from my son.

Anything made today is “Pattern welded” real Damascus came from Damascus and was made from crucible steel like a katana or samauri sword.
Wootz steel sorry

Return to “Open Discussion”