Philosophical advance at home while under lockdown

All things outside of Burning Man.
^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Philosophical advance at home while under lockdown

Post by ^Rhino! » Sat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm

While some of us are semi-trapped in the walls of our residences, we have the opportunity to think, really THINK about life, the world, ourselves, our relations with others, and hopefully we as a species have sufficient intelligence to make personal advances or observations that might be beneficial to others. Share them here if you would.

One observation I just had yesterday deals with music and cooking, of all things. The commonality of variations on a theme is part of both fine cuisine and music. Jazz is based on variations on a theme. Blues are based on variations on a theme. Hey, so is cooking to one degree or another. .Vary a single ingredient. Vary a technique. Vary a theme. Most folks know that chipotle is fire-roasted jalapeno pepper. How many of you know that chile arbol is fire-roasted poblano pepper? Looked at in one way, the standard cheese-filled jalapeno popper is nothing but a bite-sized chile relleno!

More life observations forthcoming!
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Philosophical advance at home while under lockdown

Post by Ratty » Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 pm

I live in a city. Northern California 30 miles from San Francisco. With everyone's life in upheaval we are forced to take a closer look at our home and a closer look at our mortality. There are piles of free goods all over the burbs. These aren't just old clothes and unused housewares. These are things that would have been in their estate sale after they had passed. I go to one Craig's List Free ad everyday and find military decorations, photo albums with the kids pictures, the ex-wife's jewelry, artwork, designer clothes etc... It's a change of thought process. Not merely cleaning out the garage, but giving away the pop-camper and boat. (Both of those items were on today.) I believe people are taking a hard look at all the crap they own and don't like what they see. I know some folks are moving but that not what I'm talking about.

I love a cluttered life. 5 or 10 projects going at all times. I don't pay retail. I usually don't pay a penny. It's easy for me to give stuff away. Will people's buying habits change now? They seem to hate their belongings.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Open Discussion”