Burningman community in LA

All things outside of Burning Man.
Depl23
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: NA

Burningman community in LA

Post by Depl23 » Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 am

Hello!

After I graduate college, I am planning on living in the LA area. Which area in LA do you think has the best burner community? My intuition is Santa Monica, but I really dont know the area super well. I want to live somewhere where there are other burners to connect with.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Burningman community in LA

Post by Token » Sun May 17, 2020 2:50 pm

They are all over but Santa Monica is a bit pricey...

... look at the artist districts, off downtown, past skid row, down in the semi-industrial ghettos ...

Look at the artwalk events they used to throw before The Rona. Those will give you a general idea on where the concentration of community be at.

And get a portfolio and an agent. Gotta have those to be one of the cool kids /s

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Sun May 17, 2020 3:17 pm

token,

my Burningman bro Rocky, a journalist by talent and trade used to live in Boyle Heights. It's largely a Hispanic area, but I envied him about 5 years ago when one of the best new local pro wrestling promotions started up there, called Lucha Underground. It's caused a whole new resurgence in Lucha Libre fans all over the country. It comes from the south of the border traditions that go all the way back to the Mayan, Toltec and Aztec empires. It began prospering again in the late 1800s, and is characterized by truly amazing feats of gymnastic tumbles, dives, rolls, and all of the chain wrestling that marks the truly athletic forms of the art,

Whatever you do in LA, you can find the history, the arts, and the tone of the best of American living if you look for it and pay attention. There are myriad educational opportunities, and largely good people. Some places have even experienced magical moments in the arts and history. Luckily, as a media and recording Mecca, those instances often have been captured on film or in recordings for us to cherish.

I just don't think they're ready for shrimp grits yet.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 am

Lucha Libre is loads of fun.

LA - if you can imagine it, you can find it, but it’s gonna take a massive effort and you gonna drive 4 hours to get there.

It is vast! It takes ages to take it all in and find that gem you’re looking for.

Which is why I gravitate more to NorCal and cities like San Francisco. 7 x 7 miles and just as rich in culture and history. Heck, even the greater Bay Area is half the size of LA.

I enjoyed my decade+ in LA and will remember it fondly.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon May 18, 2020 11:31 am

Do you know about the Burning Man Regionals? Each one has their own social media to connect with.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Open Discussion”