Virtual playa

All things outside of Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Virtual playa

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 am

Am I the only one with absolutely zero interest in any “virtual burn” type of thing?
I don’t mean discussing burn-related things here and other places like we’re all here to do. I mean actually trying to replace or substitute a virtual event for the real one.

To me that’s eating a rubber chicken for lunch. Couldn’t possibly give any less of a crap about it than I already don’t.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Jackass

Re: Virtual playa

Post by Jackass » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm

I don't think that anyone expects it to replace the real deal, but it's a way to get a fix. Like a BM video game, if you're a gamer and a burner it's probably a cool thing to geek out on.... Build giant, elaborate camps and super wild MVs, set up major sound and piss off the neighbors, things that may be quite prohibitive for some in the real world.. I'm not a gamer, and am not interested in a virtual burn...yet
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:06 am
Am I the only one with absolutely zero interest in any “virtual burn” type of thing?
I don’t mean discussing burn-related things here and other places like we’re all here to do. I mean actually trying to replace or substitute a virtual event for the real one.

To me that’s eating a rubber chicken for lunch. Couldn’t possibly give any less of a crap about it than I already don’t.
I’m with you on this one. I’m not a gamer, never played the Sims much and I’m on my computer for work (working from home) way more than I want to be
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:04 am

So do they have a platform or virtual world lined up for this? I want to goof with it, if I dont have to learn much and it doesn't take much effort.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 am

Don't they do this every year in Second Life?
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:56 am

Yeah, they do. I was just curious about if the official virtual BRC was going to be there. I don't want to spend any time pursuing it, if it ain't trolling the official virtual Burn.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:49 am

I know that the Talk to God installation plans to run, virtually (which won't actually change the dynamic much, except there can be multiple calls happening at once), with participants on both ends (as usual) 24/7 during Burn week. There is discussion about placing 'portals' in any Multiverse worlds that manifest, but the project itself will be independent.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

ecoita
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Duane's Whirld

Post by ecoita » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:58 am

It gives a space where people can put their energy in to or give them something to do. I'm always up for pressing the boundaries of what the interwebs can provide, so I might wander through the virtual offerings just for fun. I always enjoy a good "personal video" from the playa, getting to know people and what they experience during the burn rather than the "music videos" which are more numerous and popular.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many burning man wood replicas being created, as well. So everybody does it differently, I guess... If it's not your thing, that's cool too.
If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Return to “Open Discussion”