American breakdown front line reports from cities

All things outside of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

American breakdown front line reports from cities

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 pm

I have to thank Simon for alerting me and ePlaya to Robert Evans' Bellingcat Blog report on the Boogaloo movement.

I would like to start this topic as a place for specific reports from your cities on the American breakdown of human rights, freedom of speech, and freedom of the press, under policing in the lead up to November.

It is not Trump, politics, conspiracy, jokes, or cartoons.

I would guess it is happening in several, maybe more cities, across the USA where there are burners, like NYC, Minneapolis, Seattle, and more. Included would be "Antifa scares."

Here is one report to start it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/opin ... gents.html

NYT has references linked

50 Nights of Unrest in Portland
Robert Evans of Bellingcat says the city “is being used as a bellwether to see what this administration can get away with.”

By Charlie Warzel

July 17, 2020

Thursday night marked the 50th consecutive night of demonstrations in Portland, Ore. The protests began after the killing of George Floyd — tens of thousands of people took to the streets to protest police violence and racial injustice. Since then, the protests have grown smaller, but clashes between law enforcement officers and protesters have escalated — on July 12, videos circulated of a federal officer shooting a protester in the head with a nonlethal munition, resulting in a skull fracture. Coverage of the unrest has caught the attention of President Trump, who vowed to “dominate” the protesters with federal law enforcement officers.

According to recent reports from Oregon Public Broadcasting and other outlets, federal agents dressed in fatigues have been patrolling the city in unmarked vans, grabbing and detaining protesters, often with no indication of whether they’ve been charged with any crime. “This is an attack on our democracy,” Portland’s mayor, Ted Wheeler, said.

The Oregon senators, Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden, as well as Senator Chuck Schumer, have requested a formal federal investigation into the arrests. The Nation reports that the arrests have been carried out by Customs and Border Protection, acting on the president’s “Executive Order on Protecting American Monuments, Memorials, and Statues and Combating Recent Criminal Violence.”

To get a sense of what is unfolding in Portland and what it’s like to be covering protests each night for two months, I spoke with Robert Evans, a freelance journalist based in the city. Mr. Evans is a conflict reporter who has reported from Iraq and Ukraine. He covers far-right extremism for the investigative journalism site Bellingcat and hosts the Behind The Bastards podcast. The conversation has been edited for length and clarity:

How many nights have you been out there covering these demonstrations?

Of the last 51 or so nights I’m at somewhere around 30 that I’ve been out.

It’s not going great. I had to have a sit-down talk with a 17-year old photo journalist because his hands won’t stop shaking and I know from prior experience in war zones that it’s an early sign of P.T.S.D.-like symptoms. I had to tell him: “You very likely have done permanent damage to your brain covering this stuff and now you’ll have to ask yourself how much damage you’re willing to incur.”

What is happening in Portland right now?

What is happening in Portland right now — and I say this as somebody who’s seen war in other countries — it’s as close up to the line as you can get to actual war without live rounds. It’s really hard for me to see how things go much further without people dying.

The craziest night so far was July 4, where kids stockpiled thousands of dollars in illegal fireworks. They were in the center of downtown where the bulk of the protests happened around the Justice Center.

It started as drunken party, more or less. At random, cops began shooting into the crowd. Protesters coalesced around the idea of firing commercial-grade fireworks into the Justice Center and Federal Courthouse. You had law enforcement firing rubber bullets, foam bullets, pepper balls and tear gas as crowds circled in around the courthouse firing rockets into the side of the building. That went on for a shocking length of time — there was this running three-hour street battle. I couldn’t tell whose explosions were whose. Just a constant series of concussions.

The president started taking Portland personally after that.

Federal law enforcement escalated after that, right? That’s the story that is making the rounds right now — the unmarked vans rounding up suspected protesters and arresting them.

Since the feds got involved with police it’s gotten really brutal. I’d argue we’ve seen more police brutality in the last 50 days from Portland Police Department than anywhere else in the country. It’s brutal but it’s also predictable. There are rhythms to the way police work. It’s become an orchestrated dance with both sides.

There are warnings and kicking people out of the demonstration area. But the feds have deliberately defied the rhythms. Last Saturday, the crowd was 100 or so. It was very chill — nothing going on beyond the now-normal occupation of the Justice Center. And feds came out grabbing people seemingly at random and beating people with sticks. There was the kid who got shot in the head and his skull was fractured. The federal law enforcement violence is unpredictable violence.

Early on there seemed to be mass demonstrations focused on policing and racial justice. Is that still going on?

It’s on a protester by protester basis. If you want to find really dumb stuff — kids getting into fist fights — you’ll find it. But there’s a reason the demonstrations in Portland have been going on longer and at a higher intensity than any other city. First off, people here are really profoundly mad at their police department and they saw what Minneapolis got in terms of reform. Here, they’re not willing to take the minimal $25 million budget cut that they are offering police.

Also, protests have become, for many people, the main culture that exists in Portland now. We have a virus here, there’s not much else going on. There’s an understanding there’s an opportunity to either accept how bad things are or you can go out every night and try to do something about it.

How does that culture manifest?

Have you heard of Riot Ribs? There’s a guy named Lorenzo — he lives in Portland and came out one night grilling ribs for the protesters. He got tear gassed. He’s become something of a monument to the community. He Built a 24-hour rib restaurant — as much as you can eat. A local collective called The Witches created a fund-raiser for him while different houseless people helped to turn Riot Ribs into something bigger. Lorenzo set up résumé building programs and programs to get people showers and job interviews. It’s been a huge community effort. That's what people don’t see as much. You could go to Justice Center at night and provoke feds or you could eat ribs. It was this beautiful surreal community. Last night, police cleared out Riot Ribs.

What’s been your interaction with the federal agents? Have you personally seen them rounding up people in unmarked cars?

I’ve seen them rolling around in the vans and tackling people. My partner has watched them do a few snatch and grabs. The difference is they’re not cops. They go after people like soldiers, where the goal is to be unpredictable. The way they use munitions is different.

In Portland, people are scared of the feds. But nobody is scared of the cops anymore. At a certain point of being subjected to police flash bangs and gas, you stop fearing it.

How are people keeping up the stamina after 50 nights of this?

There’s this cycle of violence every night but also something ineffable at the center of it. Everyone is kind of aware they’re getting some P.T.S.D. from this and it’ll hit so hard when it stops. So you can almost delay it another night by eating the tear gas. And I do think there’s also this growing realization that what’s happening here is deadly serious. So there’s a choice, I think. We’ll either accept that this is the country we’re living in or we’ll just show up until people, nationally, realize that this isn’t OK.

Part of it is: what else are you going to do? I live here. I don’t want to live in a place where this happens. You can talk about journalistic objectivity all you want but I don’t want to live in a place where federal agents in unmarked vans abduct people.

I feel like an escalating factor here — part of President Trump’s focus on the city — comes from the right wing media’s obsession with the city and its protest culture.

Portland has a special place in the far-right imagination. It does have this reputation going back a while. George H.W. Bush famously called it Little Beirut.

Portland has loomed large for a while at places like Fox News as a hotbed of radical leftist activism, though I guess we’ve earned that now over the last few weeks. One of the things I think people get wrong about this place, though, is that they see the protests and the right-wing coverage and the city is depicted as convulsed and collapsing. It’s just not true. You go three blocks from the center of downtown and life goes on as normal. Where I live, you could go every day and see no real signs of the protests.

The image of federal police in unmarked vans has captured attention because it feels so nakedly authoritarian. Is what we’re seeing just the purest example of American militarized policing or is it something different?

It’s something different. It’s two things. Law enforcement is extremely lucrative and so you have a huge class of people in a lucrative industry who feel threatened and like they need to do violence to those who want to take the job away. The other is you have Portland, which has put itself in opposition to this president who has made law and order a defining issue of his re-election.

Portland is being used as a bellwether to see what this administration can get away with. And also what works to quell protest. The police tactics don’t work. We’re on night 50. There’s this knowledge, I believe, in the more lucid chunks of the administration, that this problem will get worse in the next month. August is shaping up to be one of the hardest months in our nation’s modern history. September may be worse. And it will have to come to a head.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: American breakdown front line reports from cities

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:44 am

Among the steady stream of threats from the far-right were repeated encounters between law enforcement and heavily armed adherents of the so-called boogaloo movement, which welcomes armed confrontation with cops as means to trigger civil war. With much of the U.S. policing apparatus on the hunt for antifa instigators, those violent aspirations appear to have materialized in a string of targeted attacks in California that left a federal protective services officer and a sheriff’s deputy dead and several other law enforcement officials wounded.

The cache of law enforcement materials was recently hacked and posted online under the title “BlueLeaks,” providing an unprecedented look at the communications between state, local, and federal law enforcement in the face of the nationwide protests. In an analysis of nearly 300 documents that reference “antifa,” The Intercept found repeated instances of antifa and left-wing protesting activities cast in cartoonishly grim terms alongside more substantive reports of lethal right-wing violence and threats that have received scant mention from top Trump administration officials.

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/15/geo ... ht-antifa/
Frida Be You & Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:42 am

Love this topic. Thank you FKOs for the kick in the pants.

Let me add that outside of cities the traction for militant ideology is even more pronounced. And if you take the time to understand the why and how folks think and feel this way, it is entirely reasonable.

The double-edged sword of freedoms and liberties cuts both ways and a core presumption of our constitution and laws relies of the concept of “reasonable person” far too much.

“Reasonable” is the crisis.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:11 am

"The federal administration has chosen Portland to use their scare tactics to stop our residents from protesting police brutality and from supporting the Black Lives Matter movement.
Every American should be repulsed when they see this happening. If this can happen here in Portland, it can happen anywhere."

https://apple.news/A-qzqSaKsR6asJcpN8wtxBw
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:21 pm

The activities in Portland have been rapidly called out by Oregon Senators Wyden and Merkley, as well as Representatives Blumenauer and Bonamici who represent the Portland metro. Pelosi and others have weighed in. The governor has condemned the federal activities and the State of Oregon Attorney General Rosenblum is launching a criminal investigation, as well as a lawsuit prohibiting federal agencies from seizing and detaining Oregonians without probable cause. The state’s lawsuit in federal court, announced late Friday, names the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Marshals Service, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the Federal Protection Service as defendants.

Wyden is a senior senator, and longtime on the Intelligence Committee (he also gets bonus points for being married to the owner of the Strand Book Store in NYC, trying to declassify the CIA torture report, and exposing the DNI lying under oath on mass surveillance.) That has caused the Oregon Federal Attorney Billy Williams who falls on the conservative side, to promise to investigate his peers and Williams has called on the inspector general of Homeland Security to investigate.

I'm proud of the fast reaction, we will see how many roadblocks Trump and Barr put up. As ePlayans mention, people across the political spectrum think this is an outrage, and it is good to remind elected officials and Fall candidates of that early and often.

Last month coming to a city near you?

https://www.opb.org/news/article/portla ... nce-plane/
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/06/15/a ... ts-theirs/

This was last weekend:

https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... munitions/

June 25:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/columb ... protester/

Last night, on a lighter note, we had the naked yoga protestor. In the Oregon constitution, we have a stronger first amendment phrasing, which has been interpreted by the courts to apply to nakedness as a form of expression.

https://twitter.com/ DonovanFarley/ status/ 1284410621283328000 (NSFW)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:00 am

following
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:19 pm

Don't mess with 53 year old retired lieutenant navy veterans in Portland
https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/4740 ... osession=1
https://www.koin.com/news/protests/not- ... -officers/

Don't mess with mothers in Portland

Even disabled individuals in Los Angeles are enemies of LEO
Last edited by some seeing eye on Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:30 pm

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Here we are reclaiming anti-fascism. Almost everyone opposes fascism. That is different from the white black bloc. But they have been successful outwitting police as they were in the Battle in Seattle which was made into a popular movie.

Love the moms. they are back

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am

In a Sunday Twitter post, Trump said, “The Radical Left Democrats, who totally control Biden, will destroy our Country as we know it. Unimaginably bad things would happen to America. Look at Portland, where the pols are just fine with 50 days of anarchy. We sent in help. Look at New York, Chicago, Philadelphia. NO!”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists ... -an-option
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:41 pm

The Border Patrol Was Responsible for an Arrest in Portland
An internal memo, dated July 1, obtained exclusively by The Nation, details a coordinated program of domestic counterinsurgency.

https://www.thenation.com/article/socie ... nd-arrest/

Memo leaked by individuals within Homie Security fearing overreach.

There have been reports that some aircraft are opting out of public tracking by Flightaware and similar services. They could do it administratively or by turning off their transponders which is extremely dangerous.

And https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_1203.html limiting non-government drone operations in the protest area.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm

A sticky wicket with 2Azelots/NRA coming to a Chicago near you

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/politics ... index.html

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:28 am

Kansas City mayor and Atlanta, Chicago, Portland, Seattle, and Washington, DC mayors condemn sending federal forces to quell protests

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 64747.html

A Look Back At Three Weeks Of Black Lives Matter Protests In Kansas City

https://www.kcur.org/news/2020-06-19/a- ... ansas-city

Hundreds protest against Operation Legend and systemic racism in Kansas City

https://www.kansascity.com/latest-news/ ... 19292.html

County commissioner faces use of tear gas by federal troops in Portland

https://www.koin.com/news/protests/i-wa ... ar-gassed/

Moms and dads assemble to protect Portland protesters

https://www.koin.com/news/protests/port ... -night-53/

The moms on Twitter

https://twitter.com/WallOfMoms

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:01 pm

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.premiu ... 9_q7oQfCx0
Now Trump has announced that he is sending federal officers to Chicago, other Democrat-controlled cities are on his waiting list. This makes the Portland testing ground all the more significant. Trump is announcing that with the federal officers under his control, he can essentially occupy cities whose inhabitants are in opposition to his policies as the election looms.

If both the federal incursion and their questionable tactics become a precedent, it’s not a long way from Trump disrupting democratic functioning and dissent come November. If Trump wins in November, this militarized federal intervention could escalate; and if he loses, he has prepared the ground for federal officers to intervene if he discounts the results.

For now, Portland is the laboratory for a new politics of anti-constitutional state-sponsored violence and the suppression of civil rights. The question is what will happen when Portland ceases to be an extreme outlier and becomes a prelude to wider roll-out of authoritarian rule.

Without a strong opposition in the streets, and in the courts, there will then be little restraint on Trump effectively turning federal agencies into his secret police. Even for today’s sceptics, there’s no doubt that would qualify for the descriptor "fascist."

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:58 am

Portland Mom Says She Was Groped & Assaulted by Feds During Protest Arrest Monday
DHS is using the old lying as evidence trick

https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/jennifer ... -arrested/

Dads arrive Tuesday with Leaf Blowers

As Oregon Senators Ask Why the President Cares More About Protestors Than COVID Response; Introduce Bill to Limit Use of Federal Troops in Cities (video with transcript)

https://www.c-span.org/video/?474013-8/ ... t-protests

Oregon Attorney General Court Case against DHS Wednesday

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 8d2605a6c1

ACLU Court Case Requiring Journalists and Legal Observer Protection from DHS Troops Thursday

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/0 ... rders.html

The Teachers are Coming to the Protest Friday

Bonus: When Chalk is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Chalk

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/us/s ... ngton.html

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:37 am

"Had I been governor even now, I would welcome the opportunity to work with any federal agency to reduce crime or lawlessness in any of the cities. But ... it would be a cold day in hell before I would consent to a unilateral, uninvited intervention into one of my cities."

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... eant-to-be
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Notes from a Journalist

https://www.courthousenews.com/i-know-h ... aking/amp/

One of the criticisms of Homie Security LARPing in Portland is that they are not trained for what they are doing.

One would guess they are trained for violating the human rights of families trying to cross the border and arresting militarized drug cartel people with maximum prejudice.

So apparently DHS is starting to give some thought to actual US law, and how to get around it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/2 ... ies-377273 is a fascinating read of Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Federal agents retreat to Portland base as protesters control streets
Donald Trump’s shadowy police task force has given new life to protests and may not be succeeding in PR terms either
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... protesters

On a lighter note here is doing it right!

https://www.phillytrib.com/lifestyle/wh ... 88e37.html

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 pm

53BDD35D-47EF-4BA3-9638-B3D7E72AAF2D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:53 pm

DHS Authorizes Domestic Surveillance to Protect Statues and Monuments
From Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of Intelligence & Analysis (I&A)

https://www.lawfareblog.com/dhs-authori ... -monuments

Maybe your US Senator and Representative would be interested?

^Simon, Thanks! I think the kids are going to play freedom fighter superhero rather than goon or goon in chief!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 am

“Because we don’t have that local support, that local law enforcement support, we are having to go out and proactively arrest individuals,” Wolf said during an interview on Fox News. “

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/dhs- ... n-portland
Frida Be You & Me

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Post by jneilvindy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 am

Are Governors and Mayors not allowed to order State and Local police forces to like shadow these guys or their unmarked minivans?

Follow them, pull them over for rolling stops, failure to signal, failure to wear a seatbelt. Hell basic stop and checks the police love so much! Get their ID's, registration ect.

Basically are these guys exempt from even basic police monitoring?

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 am

Trump announces federal law enforcement to be sent to Chicago and Albuquerque (CNN)

Portland mayor tear-gassed by federal officers, warns 'somebody's going to die' during chaotic protests

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 487981002/

Federal Government Agencies Push for Surveillance Loopholes in Portland Facial Recognition Ban Legislation

https://twitter.com/VetsWall

Federal vs State a law view, coming to a state near you? (relates to BRC LEO)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Breaking News:

Burning Man 2020 will be held downtown Portland OR, at them Federal Buildings over there, starting now and will last 3 months!

This will be a vintage revival BM with the legendary 1996 HellCo theme reborn with a purpose.

So grab the AK, AR, SKS, Remington, Mossberg and head on out!

Drive-by shooting range is all set up.

Hell! We do this shit for fun!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:25 am

i’m having helco flashbacks too.

then i saw this...

BB7BEF50-75E3-4CC2-A8D4-1F42C990E33A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:11 am

^ Thanks Simon. Burner Rockstar Librarian was in that crowd. It was peaceful for hours, and black people gave BLM speeches.

In Portland Suburb, All Lives Matter Protester aims gun at Black Lives Matter Group

https://pamplinmedia.com/go/42-news/474 ... tter-rally

In Front of Federal Courthouse in Portland, Free Kitchen Started by Portland Black Panther Thrives Unfazed

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtow ... unity-care

This Portland journalist @eddybinfordrosshas been gassed and shoved by federal officers. She’s only 17.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -reporter/
Non Paywall https://outline.com/Jn64RN

Tear Gas Tornado Forms

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:58 pm

United States vs Mom and Dad

Mom, we covered earlier: https://heavy.com/news/2020/07/jennifer ... -arrested/

Dad: https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/07 ... otest.html

This shows some of the Trump strategy. The officers rush out and do stupid things to peaceful random people having nothing to do with vandalism or throwing things at the officers, and they are willing to to lie about it in court. They went on a rampage on the camp kitchen and on medical supplies that drew a rebuke from the UN. So Trump is just trying to escalate beyond well established law, on the officer side under Chad, and on the prosecutor side under Barr.

Second Trump is going to play the protests up, it was used to open the daily press conference by Kayleigh McEnany.

It seems unlikely the cases will be heard before the election. Then they would be appealed to the 9th Circuit, which is very liberal. That would take additional time. I doubt the supreme court would touch it, but you never know.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:39 pm

Only in America of now, sadly, and outrageously.

Military chemical weapons trainer on tear gas.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:57 am

We will start with a happy story:

RiotRibs was created by a back in the day Portland Black Panther and several homeless-houseless individuals. They fed all, operating at night for the protests, and daytime for houseless, also distributing clothing and camping gear free for all.

When a poor person says they raised too much money and are donating it to https://www.dontshootpdx.org/, a BLM group, that's sainthood.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtow ... -shoot-pdx

Austin, so sad, and Seattle.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm

Frida Be You & Me

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:06 pm

He built his beautiful wall after all, those are some mighty fine looking k-rails he's got there
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Return to “Open Discussion”