Is it over?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Is it over?

Post by Token » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 pm

JohnEBGud wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 am
There was a guy on FB bitching about BMORG and how they've ruined Burning Man. He said he hadn't been back to the Playa since 2002. Gloating about the current situation he echoed the common opinion that the fact a couple thousand showed up on the Playa this year without the Org's involvement was proof of its uselessness.

So my question is if Burning Man has sucked for the past 18 years why is he still posting in the Burning Man group? Take the hint that it's moved in a different direction and not turning back. If the good old days were so much better, important, and easy to accomplish, get off your ass and create an alternative. Should be a piece of cake, right?

So much easier to bitch than to act.
Have you ever considered that the bitching old fart on FB may actually be right?

So all this sand in your vagina really ain’t doin’ you no good.

Let me tell you, it was nice before they invented the silly ten principles, before there was cell signal, before folks had cameras.

It was real nice when the bar was set high and there were no services, concierges, and travel packages.

We had one principle: don’t mellow my harsh.

But I guess all you can do is read about it and bitch about the bitching. That’s fucking funny.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:26 pm

Token wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:03 pm
JohnEBGud wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 am
There was a guy on FB bitching about BMORG and how they've ruined Burning Man. He said he hadn't been back to the Playa since 2002. Gloating about the current situation he echoed the common opinion that the fact a couple thousand showed up on the Playa this year without the Org's involvement was proof of its uselessness.

So my question is if Burning Man has sucked for the past 18 years why is he still posting in the Burning Man group? Take the hint that it's moved in a different direction and not turning back. If the good old days were so much better, important, and easy to accomplish, get off your ass and create an alternative. Should be a piece of cake, right?

So much easier to bitch than to act.
Have you ever considered that the bitching old fart on FB may actually be right?

So all this sand in your vagina really ain’t doin’ you no good.

Let me tell you, it was nice before they invented the silly ten principles, before there was cell signal, before folks had cameras.

It was real nice when the bar was set high and there were no services, concierges, and travel packages.

We had one principle: don’t mellow my harsh.

But I guess all you can do is read about it and bitch about the bitching. That’s fucking funny.
d36893b16feed9622b287a90459bf17c36bc6ad7c429bbe1425247b6dd1f96d2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Miura-7
Burning Since: 2020

Post by Miura-7 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Not one word wasted. Perfectly said.

JohnEBGud
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Play-a Piano, Skid Row

Post by JohnEBGud » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:22 am

Token wrote:

The bitching old fart on FB said he was now 42.

I didn't say he was wrong. I didn't say he was right. I offer no opinion on that at all. I wasn't there 18 years ago. I wasn't there 10 years ago. So, I'll take your word for it, but honestly, the point is moot. It's like saying the Beatles were better than BTS. Maybe, but the Beatles ain't coming back. If you want more Beatles, you're going to have form your own group. Bitchin' about about BTS on FB or ePlaya, whether you do it for 20 years or 10 years, isn't going to change anything.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:06 am

BOF™️

consider it entered for consideration into the lexicon.

and is it “Bitchin’ “ or “Bitching”?

nuance is everything.
Frida Be You & Me

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:17 am

JohnEBGud wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:22 am

...It's like saying the Beatles were better than BTS.
...better than better than sex?

Us old farts can't keep up with you young shits being so clever making acronyms for anything so you can save time on your cellphone texts. Back in the old days (like a few years ago) gen-x or the much maligned millennials were foisting on us that BTS meant better than sex.

Eplaya hint: Write for your audience...you're out of the youngsters echo chamber here. :D

JohnEBGud

Post by JohnEBGud » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 am

DoctorIknow wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:17 am
...better than better than sex?

Us old farts can't keep up with you young shits being so clever making acronyms for anything so you can save time on your cellphone texts. Back in the old days (like a few years ago) gen-x or the much maligned millennials were foisting on us that BTS meant better than sex.

Eplaya hint: Write for your audience...you're out of the youngsters echo chamber here. :D
Sorry. Guess the crowd I hang with is a bit more connected to the current music scene and popular culture. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I was born in 1946.
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

JohnEBGud

Post by JohnEBGud » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:06 am
BOF™️

consider it entered for consideration into the lexicon.

and is it “Bitchin’ “ or “Bitching”?

nuance is everything.
I'd go with bitching in this case. Bitchin' would be more appropriate for that classic Ford Mustang. 8)
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:32 pm

JohnEBGud wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:22 am
Token wrote:

The bitching old fart on FB said he was now 42.

I didn't say he was wrong. I didn't say he was right. I offer no opinion on that at all. I wasn't there 18 years ago. I wasn't there 10 years ago. So, I'll take your word for it, but honestly, the point is moot. It's like saying the Beatles were better than BTS. Maybe, but the Beatles ain't coming back. If you want more Beatles, you're going to have form your own group. Bitchin' about about BTS on FB or ePlaya, whether you do it for 20 years or 10 years, isn't going to change anything.
Son, I’m a be gentle with you.

Your analogies are all bunk. There is no Beatles (btw, an overhyped mediocre band that fooled millions), there is only Daft Punk!

Three weeks ago, give or take a few days, the Black Rock desert time warped back to 1990.

Several thousand were there.

The old is back and it is brand new second hand!

So, yes, the people DID get off their ass and did something OLD!

You missed it, AGAIN!!!

Do I got to break out the crayons?

Stay awhile, make friends, well take you next time ...

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:35 pm

"Daft Punk at the trash fence" 2013. That's the video I discovered a year ago. That's when I researched Burning Man. That's the boat I missed, as some people say it's sinking. Fuck me!!! Always a dollar short, and a day late. Fuck Covid, Fuck the Fires, and Fuck the Assholes in the Whitehouse. Oops!! Wrong thread. All is not lost. I discovered this forum. "Thanks"

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Part of me hopes it lives on, because of all of the obvious reasons (the art, the lasers, the city, the energy, the fires, the neighborhoods... the tradition)

Part of me hopes it dies, because of all of the obvious reasons (the airport, the plug & plays, the elites, the spectators, the segways... the wealthy tourists)

As long as the Black Rock Desert is open & the version that occurred this year is still open & available for years to come, I have no problem with the Org closing up shop. You had a good run. Hopefully your new rich friends will be happy to help you figure out a plan for what butters your bread next. In the mean time, see you all every labor day, but come prepared & self-reliant, because it's potentially fatal out there!

Edit: I definitely hope the rich friends aren't the donors that throw the Org a lifeline, for concessions in future years...

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm

What's stopping 1990 from happening every year?

2nd week of July, hold burning man 1990; right?

Am I missing something? *

*besides a brain

ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Post by ACfromSAC » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:37 pm

4th of Juplaya?

JohnEBGud

Post by JohnEBGud » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Token wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:32 pm

You missed it, AGAIN!!!
LOL, Missed it again? How do you know?

Sorry you keep missing my point. What happened a couple of weeks ago was people showing up for a cancelled event. Entirely different from creating and maintaining a community ethos around an annual event. Would we have shown up and camped outside the trash fence if the BMORG event happened. Don't think so. If Burning Man has sucked for over ten years, what's taken so long to Get Back to where you once belonged? BMORG not holding an event, that's what. That's being reactive. I'm talking about being proactive beyond complaining on social media.

Just to be clear, I share many of your criticisms of the Playa event. Dump all the placed theme camps and return to open camping. Dump the Directed Sales tickets. Close the airport. I'm on board. With the exception of my first year, I've been on the Playa, tent camping, beginning the week before Pre-Burn and staying to the Tuesday following the Temple Burn, so I have a taste for what it was like prior to Instagram influencers and bruhs took over. If I could turn back the clock, I'd be at those Burns of yore with you, but I don't think what happened this year was that.
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 am

A53B25EF-4CD4-4A0F-8F51-0115F4EC6B98.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:11 am

JohnEBGud wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Token wrote:

You missed it, AGAIN!!!
LOL, Missed it again? How do you know?

Sorry you keep missing my point. What happened a couple of weeks ago was people showing up for a cancelled event. Entirely different from creating and maintaining a community ethos around an annual event. Would we have shown up and camped outside the trash fence if the BMORG event happened. Don't think so. If Burning Man has sucked for over ten years, what's taken so long to Get Back to where you once belonged? BMORG not holding an event, that's what. That's being reactive. I'm talking about being proactive beyond complaining on social media.

Just to be clear, I share many of your criticisms of the Playa event. Dump all the placed theme camps and return to open camping. Dump the Directed Sales tickets. Close the airport. I'm on board. With the exception of my first year, I've been on the Playa, tent camping, beginning the week before Pre-Burn and staying to the Tuesday following the Temple Burn, so I have a taste for what it was like prior to Instagram influencers and bruhs took over. If I could turn back the clock, I'd be at those Burns of yore with you, but I don't think what happened this year was that.
I gotta disagree with most of that.
No...build week and staying until Tuesday isn’t what it used to be like.
And yeah, We did show up and do Burning Man this year. You weren’t there, you don’t know what happened.
And yes, a lot of us would camp outside the fence, IF we even still went to the big BRC event.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token

Post by Token » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:51 am

JohnEBGud wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:44 pm
Token wrote:

You missed it, AGAIN!!!
Sorry you keep missing my point. What happened a couple of weeks ago was people showing up for a cancelled event. Entirely different from creating and maintaining a community ethos around an annual event.
Son, you gotta open yourself up for a learning moment here.

When you start with a faulty premise, all the logic built upon that premise will be faulty.

This community and ethos you speak of, the BORG doesn’t own that. The BORG isn’t Burning Man and BM is not the BORG.

People have always been Burning Man, not some bureaucratic facilitator that is the BORG.

Regular ole’ people make the magic and carry the culture. Been like that for decades, including the recent years you attended.

What happened this month IS the definition of the culture and ethos of BM. A spontaneous community effort to capture a bit of culture in a sliver of space and time.

When Larry wrote the 10 principles back in 2004, the sole purpose was to seed the regional network and decentralize the event beyond TTITD. Ever since then, the culture has been firmly in the hands of the masses.

Embrace that bit of knowledge, then see if you can understand a bit better

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:17 pm

ACfromSAC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:37 pm
4th of Juplaya?
Bingo
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 am

Rio has suspended Carnival ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:21 am

unjonharley wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 am
Fuck it, I’m going anyway!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:21 am
unjonharley wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:36 am
Fuck it, I’m going anyway!!
who s a good boy ?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:17 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 pm
who s a good boy ?
Oh my Dog! Are you still here? Aint you dead yet, Unjon? :mrgreen:

Capt G and I were relaxing in the dust this year and talking about old school burner traditions while imbibing in serial cold PBR’s l. Naturally your name came up. We had to admit we kinda missed yer creaky ass. Not like a major miss, mind you... we just had this silly notion that having a cane-bearing fossil like you would be rather handy to push water off the shade structure if it rained. (Fortunately it didnt. Hehehe). And you serve as a natural sparklepony attractant, so we missed that too.

If we do Juplaya 2021, will you be joining us? If so, we’ll “bring it”. There will be good eats and much mischief. (BTW: Beams says “hi” and “love you!”. I have no fucking idea what she sees in you, but I was commanded to pass that little tidbit along, and in light of who is cooking dinner tonight, I’m forced to shelve my jealous tendencies and just suck it up and be the messenger boy).

On the subject of “is it over?”: no, it isnt over. But it is probably “over” as far as the douchebros, sparkleponies and bucketlisters are concerned. If so, RIP Burningman! And welcome Little Burn.

The burner spirit is alive and well! I think TTITD will continue on for the foreseeable future. But it wont be that bloated pig of a burn that has become a sales/revenue generation tool forthe BMORG. Instead, it will become a new, lean, back-to-basics burn that scores bigly-big points for decommodification, depussification, and discombobulation.

This year proved it can be done. Next year proves it will continue. The year after that we’ll probably have a new BORG and start fucking it ip again. Lol
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:50 pm

I’ve got camp mates who said they’d come to little burn.

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

M F Bonz
Burning Since: 1999

Post by M F Bonz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:16 pm

lucky420 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Smiles~if it’s camp not found.
I think Two of Your camp mates is who I was hopping to bump into out there. They met in my home. I Miss them.

And for the record....
It’s Risky... Risky *Burn*
code name=Ultraviolet.
But that’s another story.

Coincidence, traced far enough back becomes and inevitable.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:02 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:17 pm
unjonharley wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 pm
who s a good boy ?
... ... ...
If we do Juplaya 2021, will you be joining us?
... ...
...But it is probably “over” as far as the douchebros, sparkleponies and bucketlisters are concerned. If so, RIP Burningman! And welcome Little Burn.
The burner spirit is alive and well! I think TTITD will continue on for the foreseeable future. But it wont be that bloated pig of a burn that has become a sales/revenue generation tool forthe BMORG. Instead, it will become a new, lean, back-to-basics burn that scores bigly-big points for decommodification, depussification, and discombobulation.
This year proved it can be done. ... ...
[*kicks himself for thoughtlessly wandering onto ePlaya when he sure knows better*]

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:54 am

M F Bonz wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:16 pm
lucky420 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Smiles~if it’s camp not found.
I think Two of Your camp mates is who I was hopping to bump into out there. They met in my home. I Miss them.

And for the record....
It’s Risky... Risky *Burn*
code name=Ultraviolet.
But that’s another story.

It is not found!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

M F Bonz
Burning Since: 1999

Post by M F Bonz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 am

Because of their local Vicinity. Could we be talking about the same people maybe?
Without knowing a current camper list.
I suspect there are multiple people in your camp that I know and miss.

Smiles~
Coincidence, traced far enough back becomes and inevitable.

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:46 am

[quote=GreyCoyote post_id=1204166 time=1601072270 user_id=79042]
[quote=unjonharley post_id=1204162 time=1601061786 user_id=1430]
who s a good boy ?
[/quote]

Capt G and I were relaxing in the dust this year and talking about old school burner traditions while imbibing in serial cold PBR’s l. Naturally your name came up. We had to admit we kinda missed yer creaky ass. Not like a major miss, mind you... we just had this silly notion that having a cane-bearing fossil like you would be rather handy to push water off the shade structure if it rained. (Fortunately it didnt. Hehehe). And you serve as a natural sparklepony attractant, so we missed that too.

If we do Juplaya 2021, will you be joining us? If so, we’ll “bring it”. There will be good eats and much mischief. (BTW: Beams says “hi” and “love you!”. I have no fucking idea what she sees in you, but I was commanded to pass that little tidbit along, and in light of who is cooking dinner tonight, I’m forced to shelve my jealous tendencies and just suck it up and be the messenger boy).

On the subject of “is it over?”: no, it isnt over. But it is probably “over” as far as the douchebros, sparkleponies and bucketlisters are concerned. If so, RIP Burningman! And welcome Little Burn.

This year proved it can be done. Next year proves it will continue. The year after that we’ll probably have a new BORG and start fucking it ip again. Lol
[/quote]

Miura-7

Post by Miura-7 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:49 am

Sorry couldn't keep quiet. If anybody gets the blue ribbon douchebag award, you clearly got no competition "Asshole!"

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:06 am

Whoa! What did I just step in?!
[*runs in the opposite direction, never to return -- now I really know better*]

Return to “Open Discussion”