Redirecting some energy and efforts for lack of big events for which to build big art and community this year

All things outside of Burning Man.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Redirecting some energy and efforts for lack of big events for which to build big art and community this year

Post by sparr » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm trying to organize a big coliving / maker / permaculture / burner / ... community project near Portland. Not gonna pitch it here, in an attempt to avoid moderation. Message me if you'd like to know more.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Redirecting some energy and efforts for lack of big events for which to build big art and community this year

Post by lucky420 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:39 am

sparr wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:51 pm
I'm trying to organize a big coliving / maker / permaculture / burner / ... community project near Portland. Not gonna pitch it here, in an attempt to avoid moderation. Message me if you'd like to know more.
Best wishes for a successful endeavor. :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Redirecting some energy and efforts for lack of big events for which to build big art and community this year

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:22 pm

have you contacted the folks who run SOAK, the big regional there? they probably have good info and insights.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:02 pm

sparr wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:51 pm
I'm curious. Feel free to give an overview if you want.

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 pm

My plan is to buy 200 acres about 30 minutes west of Portland, including an old boarding school. The property has a dozen buildings including 150 bedrooms (mostly dorms, some apartments and houses), a big commercial kitchen and some smaller kitchens, 14k sqft of wood / welding / auto shops, 100k sqft of other functional space (classrooms, offices, etc) to use as-is or turn into more shops, art installations, etc.

I want to get about a hundred people living there, and some more using the shops and property on a regular basis while living elsewhere, in a sort of meta intentional community, with smaller groups (5-20 people in each "pod") each having a more defined focus and shared passions.

Specifically in the context of BM and this post, I want to bring people on board who build big art and theme camps. I want to provide a place for outfitting art cars, assembling large art installations before/after the burn or other events, etc. I also want to eventually host a small regional burn, in addition to other camping festival sorts of events (circus, ren faire, spiritual, etc).

The website is http://CoDwell.org and I'd love to talk to anyone who would be interested in getting involved, either individually or as the leader/organizer of a group (existing or to-be-assembled) of 5-20 people with some shared goals.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:14 am

Boop
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 am

Thanks Sparr for taking on this project.

The land and buildings were the project of a bad guru. https://culteducation.com/group/1175-sw ... abuse.html It's quite surprising to me how many people I know who were somewhat involved in Swami Chetananda's cult. (I also know an otherwise normal person who fell into NXIVM) His center in Portland is being redeveloped into low income housing.

That location is distant from Portland, but cheap burner warehouse space is hard to find in Portland. Breitenbush Hot Springs is also a similar live-work setup. There is not a huge amount of work out there, but today remote work is what the cool kids do.

Best with the project!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Open Discussion”