Teacher at My Kids School Threatend Me about BM

All things outside of Burning Man.
Godlike4u

Post by Godlike4u » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:34 am

:?: Has anybody heard of a situation like the one I'm about to discribe.

I send my kid to a hoity toity private school in Palo Alto, CA. My son one day after I got back from this years burn, was walking around his school, telling all his class mate and teachers that he just got back from Burning Man. He hadn't really, he was just excited about his dad getting back, and all the stories and the excitement of him being able to attending next year.

The head master of the school found out that my son was saying he went to Burning Man and confronted me as I picked my son up that afternoon. She said point plank. "Did your son attend Burning Man this year?", No I said. And here is the kicker. "Because if he did or would go in the future, I will report you to the child authorities." I asked her if she'd every attended a Burning Man, and/or a Burning Man related event. She said no, but she knows it's not the right enviornment for children.

Now I know she has to be smoking something, but does she have a leg to stand on with going to the child authorities?

Thanks for your help.

[/quote]

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:53 am

Burning Man has been used in custody battles and child welfare hearings in the past (again numerous threads on the old eplaya - Spanky are you listening?).

A couple things to keep in mind here.

1. As a teacher or administrator in the state of California you are a "mandated reporter" that means that you must report anything that you suspect as being child abuse. Most of these reports are never investigated, and the person making the report is not given any follow up information (though they are sometimes contacted for further questioning).

2. Many social workers and people working in related fields are liberal and open minded. In Palo Alto, they may even be a "burner". It's doubtful that the mere fact that a child attended Burning Man would raise an eyebrow if that was sole source of the complaint.

3. Burning Man has been used effectively against custodial parents in child custody hearings. If you are the custodial parent or have joint custody or are in a situation where the other parent is seeking custody, I would highly suggest getting written permission from the other parent before taking your child to the event. Better still attend the event with the other parent and child.

4. Since this is a private school and you are paying for your son to be there, I would inquire what business it is of the administrator where you take your child as long as he is being supervised by you. I would also consider talking with his supervisor (and yes, he has one) regarding this invasion of your privacy and the potential loss of revenue as a result of your finding an alternative educational institution.

Godlike4u

Post by Godlike4u » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:08 am

Thanks Chai Guy. All very sound advice. I was planning on taking my kids to the Decompression event in SF this Sunday, but you think it best to get a written notice from their mother first, otherwise it could cause me some headaches down the line.

Understood. Thanks again, Jimijam

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:45 am

allow me to relate a story from my boss.

his son attends an exclusive private grade school.
my boss went to a parent/teacher discussion where the math teacher asked my boss to lessen his emphasis on his son's math skills... "let him learn at his own pace"

within 24 hours, his son was moved to another private school.

you are the customer, demand the kind ofm school environment you want.

but, that is just my opinion,

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:19 am

Something simelier happened to someone else last year.
It's seems silly to me...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Petalford

Post by Petalford » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:59 am

As a professional HR Director working in special education - I would have to say, that teacher is "whacked". Chai guy is correct that as a mandated reporter if you "suspect" abuse you must report...but...she will look foolish with nothing to support her claims. Your child has not been to BM.(yet)

I hate stupid people. I think maybe you should consider a different school - or - voice your complaints about intrusive parenting advise (potential for hostile environment/harassment claims) from this so called teacher with the closed off mind...

Good luck
Playa road......, Take Me Home...to the place I belong......., Black Rock City....., in the Desert......take me home...., Playa Road.......

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:16 am

Chai's advice is pretty sound but pretty time intensive insofar as covering yourself.

You might take the shortcut and threaten to set the administrator's car on fire after you kill their dog if they follow through with their threat.

But that's just me.

Hope this was helpful.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:38 pm

Advice on parenting from someone that doesn't have kids is suspect. Crimson doesn't count either.

Edit: This thread is about a serious subject. It doesn't need comments like mine or the crap above.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Petalford

Post by Petalford » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:50 pm

Advice on parenting from someone that doesn't have kids is suspect. Crimson doesn't count either.

Edit: This thread is about a serious subject. It doesn't need comments like mine or the crap above.
well I do have kids - and I don't think the advise above is crap - just my 2 cents...
Playa road......, Take Me Home...to the place I belong......., Black Rock City....., in the Desert......take me home...., Playa Road.......

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:47 pm

Neither do I.

Altho I am rather partial to Iso's idea...

I think that a well-worded letter to (or maybe, better, a meeting with) the schools administration (including your attorney, mahaps), outlining how the intrusiveness of said headmistress, combined with said educator's very real threat of action on a private, family desert outing, and the lesson they taught the child (NEVER tell ANYONE ANYTHING because the School Gestapo will go after you and your parents) is not what you pay the school $x amount per year for.

Further, if they are really so financially set that they can absorb the loss of your child's tuition You would be more than happy to pull your child from said akademy and place them in a school which instills, not inhibits, family values and has your child's development and well-being at heart.

Also, they may wish to realize that, once the word gets out of their neo-fascist approach to child education, and how they feel it prudent to threaten a child and their parents over a stupid camping trip in the desert, others may want to pull their children and enroll them in (insert name of rival local well-heeled hoity-toity private school here) along with your child, the financial hit they may take over such a negative line may end up being more than said school may wish to absorb.

I DID mention the lesson their headmaster taught your child - NEVER trust to tell anyone the truth, NEVER trust those in authority, BEWARE those in power - right?

Regardless, I would pull my child. I wouldn't want her (or him, in your case) in a place like that where they (and you) must be in fear. NO amount of money or education is worth it.

bb

blueniteowl

Post by blueniteowl » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:22 pm

While I agree with most of what's being said here. I don't agree that pulling the child out of the school should be the first course of action. I would try and see if you could meet with the administration first. Pulling a child out of school and removing that stable environment as well as the connections to their friends could be detrimental.

It's a tough decision to make on what will be better for your child in the long run. But I do think that some sort of action does need to be taken.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:56 pm

Chai Guy wrote:Burning Man has been used in custody battles and child welfare hearings in the past (again numerous threads on the old eplaya - Spanky are you listening?).

3. Burning Man has been used effectively against custodial parents in child custody hearings.
Custody battles are often outright vicious and bring in anything and everything as a play. In and of itself I dont think it could apply much without supporting evidence of other things to re-frame the context. But I guess I could be wrong.

But child welfare hearings?

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:09 pm

Well, it's freaking amazing to me the things I've witnessed in juvenile court. The amount of power at the judge's discretion is incredible, and I've seen all kinds of things trotted out as evidence of unfit parenting, most of it totally unsubstantiated by any facts or evidence.

The catch-22 is that there is no oversight, it's a closed court (to protect the confidentiality of the minor) so none of this stuff sees the light of day.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:12 pm

We had a whole lot of concern over custody and going to BM last year...it's scary, but true - there is still so much ignorance about Burning Man that participating can be used against you in court. What a drag.

Get your kid out of that school.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:06 pm

To the OP you might consider pre-empting any possible report of 'abuse' by the school administrator by contacting either legal counsel, or the complaining official's supervisor. In either case, be forthright in explaining the situation and your concern that in taking your child to what's is argauably an internationally recognized arts festival is being inappropriately interpreted as an abusive situation for your child. You might also mention that we're talking about an event - a family friendly event - that has been fully endorsed and approved by both the governor of Nevada as well as the state's two senators.

In a pinch it seems to me that coming forward in making your concerns known about a potential problem would provide you some degree of leverage - especially if the jerk follows through with his/her threat.
K/Kinetic/Kinetic IV/Kiamix/Tancorix/Cardinal/Archangel/Rachel/Brad Hamilton/Allanon3 or whoever the fuck your Sybilesque personality is masquerading as today, please, go shit and fall back in it you self-righteous, pity-seeking, assmonkey. If you have a problem with anyone's posts maybe consider braying about it over on that I-Have-Cancer-But-No-One-Believes-Me (because I really don't) blog of yours or try heeding your own advice.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:21 pm

What she said.
Desert dogs drink deep.

tisha2

Post by tisha2 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:31 pm

wow. i am a burner/mom and have taken my oldest to the event 3 times, and my youngest once. i often get a raised eyebrow when i say i bring my kids, but to threatem the AUTHORITIES. fer cryin' out loud... there are worse things happening in HOMES in the city than what my kids see in BRC...

i always find that once i explain my participation and focus at the event (social experiment, temporary city, radical self-expression) and make the point that yes, there are crazy things that my kids *could* see, but there are crazy things that they *could* see on the streets of my home town IF i let them. There are lots of families that attend - kidsville, etc. I would say, find out if she's been there. Probly not. Introduce her to folks that have...better yet, let her meet parents that bring their kids..and get to know them *before* they mention that fact.

fer cryin out loud...

(if i may borrow your sig line Iso) - *sigh* darling...get mommy another cocktail...
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:35 pm

In addition to mentioning it is a family friendly event, you might invite said headmistress out to teach a class in kidsville or something. The point being to get across that not only do parents take kids there, there are hordes of them that even camp together in a neighborhood of the city.

You might point out that you would consider reporting her to the school authorities for visiting San Francisco because "everybody knows" what goes on up there ... with all that "adult entertainment" and lewed behaviors in some of the "establishments" there. If she can grasp the idea that Burning Man is a city and like any city, there are things going on there that aren't for kids but it doesn't mean that taking a kid to that city automatically means engaging in those activities with them.

In this case nothing has happened besides her flapping her mouth, right? So I wouldn't worry about doing anything at this point other than possibly talking to a lawyer to have something ready in case she tries to pull something and make sure everyone in the family is on the same sheet of music.

Trouble is that it is a private school which means that even if protective services don't get involved, they could still ask you to leave because they don't like your shoelaces or just about any reason at all.

FWIW, our youngest is in a Methodist preschool and we told them right off the bat that we were going to Burning Man and the office staff seemed quite excited about it even mentioning having friends that had gone in the past.

If it is such a hoity toity school, maybe you might get some mileage out of a comment along the lines of "I thought a school of this caliber would have a greater appreciation for the arts and the local art community and culture".
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Care to explain your Isotopia character? Pot meet kettle. Now get back on topic, some of us are interested in what's being said here.

This type of problem came up with one of my friends who wanted to come to BM this year and bring her 8 year old son with her. She was worried about what the ex would/could do if he found out. So I really have an interest in what's being posted here..otherwise I wouldn't be posting or reading the thread.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:45 pm

Chai Guy wrote:Well, it's freaking amazing to me the things I've witnessed in juvenile court. The amount of power at the judge's discretion is incredible, and I've seen all kinds of things trotted out as evidence of unfit parenting, most of it totally unsubstantiated by any facts or evidence.

The catch-22 is that there is no oversight, it's a closed court (to protect the confidentiality of the minor) so none of this stuff sees the light of day.
You're not kidding - we went through it when someone decided to turn in my daughter for being a negligent mom (she's not), and it's amazing what raw (and unchecked) power the juvenile court system has - all of it legit.

I won't go into the purjured testimony of the Child Protective Svcs officer - bald faced lies to the judge. What saved us was (1) we had about a dozen good witnesses, and (2) My kid jumped through their hoops and shone like burnished brass. Made them look foolish. But getting the witnesses in (most were not relatives) took weeks and weeks of legal wrangling.

My kid came out a much more mature and wiser woman, but it was scary. For all of us involved.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:54 pm

Was there any accountability for the reporting person Sue? Seems that given the dismal failure of the person to prove a case that their credibility would be pretty shaky. Certainly it'd seem an opportunity would present itself to follow up with the person just so it'd be on their record.

I'd also think though with no assuredness that there's probably one or two folks at kidsville who are themselves either teachers or working on the periphery of education and even child services. Not that they'd have cause to advertise such. I'm sure if the inquisition went any further that the OP would probably be able to make solid contacts with dedicated, competent people who might be willing to go to bat with you in the way of writing letters or whatnot.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:17 pm

F**K no... it's their word against yours and it's skewed to them. Really shitty system. Like I said, we had witnesses, and it still looked bad... fortunately, my girl has a brain in her head and played their game (eventually rubbing their face in it), for which I can't tell you how proud I am of her...

I'm just... pissed... that some fascist worthless c... Daughter of a Dickwad headmistress (pardon the coarse language) would use something which I (and 30K others) consider a very real bonding and serious family thing against not only the parents ut the kid. What's next? You don't vote republican so we're kicking your kid outta our school? You wrote a nastygram to your friend against Bush and we're contacting CPS as your child is being raised in an unhealthy environment?

Don't laugh... I could see this. Thank GOD we're about the tightest community going (sometimes >>giggles<<) and a bunch of us would jump in to defend her (and by god some of us *are* espectable members of the community and look the part - um, sometimes >>more grins<<....

BTW - She was absent from the CPS office every time I went back. I think she may have finally "moved on" after that episode...

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:58 am

Chai Guy wrote:Well, it's freaking amazing to me the things I've witnessed in juvenile court. The amount of power at the judge's discretion is incredible, and I've seen all kinds of things trotted out as evidence of unfit parenting, most of it totally unsubstantiated by any facts or evidence. The catch-22 is that there is no oversight, it's a closed court (to protect the confidentiality of the minor) so none of this stuff sees the light of day.
That was enlightening, and scary. I did not realize the judge had that kind of unmitigated power and influence. The confidentiality is an excellent point, thats a barrier to oversight on abuse.
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I won't go into the purjured testimony of the Child Protective Svcs officer - bald faced lies to the judge. What saved us was (1) we had about a dozen good witnesses, and (2) My kid jumped through their hoops and shone like burnished brass. Made them look foolish. But getting the witnesses in (most were not relatives) took weeks and weeks of legal wrangling.
Unfortunately we are talking about our governments social services - historically inept organizations bound up in carrying out, or sometimes fighting, political agendas from their superiors.

Iroic some of the strongest local social services groups are formed by volunteers in response to fighting through our governments social services.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:19 am

Iroic some of the strongest local social services groups are formed by volunteers in response to fighting through our governments social services.
I have mixed emotions on this. I believe that it really depends on the individual person you are dealing with. I would like to think that within the government system there are some individuals that really do care about the kids and are trying to do the right thing and they are probably as frustrated as everyone else at the crap involved in actually trying to get anything constructive done.

I also believe there are people just putting in their time, trying not to rock the boat, doing just enough to get by, not really thinking but instead going to "the manual" for the answers to every situation. Their mission is A: don't get fired. B: get promoted. C: retire with full benefits.

And finally I believe there are individuals that are trying to enforce their world view on the rest of society from their perch within the system. Those are the scariest ones to me be they "progressive" or "conservative". There is nothing scarier than an activist government worker who "knows what's best" for you and is determined that the solution to your problem is found in their personal social agenda.

This is one of the reasons why I am not so against community solutions to things where available including "faith based" and non faith based solutions because these programs are generally voluntary, they are able to move quicker to help, they require less paperwork, and they generally have the welfare of the family at heart and not the letter of a law or what makes someone look good politically. In many cases, when one needs help, there have been community organizations there to offer non-judgemental assistance to get through a time of hardship and will worry about any "preaching" later after the crises has been delt with. This includes Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, whatever charities as well as community outreach organizations.

The government is to me the provider of last resort when family and community have failed you. Unfortunately, many these days seem to look to government as the first line provider and they end up frustrated and disappointed. It is my opinion that more often than not, involving the government in your life is generally a mistake and they have the potential and track record of screwing up more than they fix and that legacy goes back decades spanning all levels of government from the city to the county, to the state, to the federal and is not in my experiance related to any particular political party or administration. The problem is that average community people don't get involved and volunteer, most just don't have the time, but overall, people just seem to rely on "the government" to handle it and overall, they do a bad job of it.

My $0.02

EDIT: But I again want to emphasize that I do recognize that there are some in the government system that I believe are good people trying to do the right thing by their neighbors and community. And I don't want that to go unrecognized. Every once in a while, one of those people gets the recognition they deserve and they end up helping a lot of people in some really tough situations.

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:36 am

Oh, and I wanted to add ... many times the best solution depends on your own culture. If you are Buddhist, maybe a solution from that community is best for YOU. If you are Christian, maybe that is the best solution for YOU. If you are agnostic, maybe a secular solution is best for YOU. But the idea that the solution that is best for YOU is best for EVERYONE ELSE bugs me. I just seem to see a lot of people with the idea that they know what is best or just as bad, they know what is bad for people because they extrapolate what is good or bad for them to the general population of people. Bad idea. Tolerance, grace, and kindness are things anyone of any social alignment can understand.

telizas

Post by telizas » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:50 am

Actually, her threat is illegal, and constitutes harrassment - she is seeking a certain response from you by threatening certain action, that is harrassment. I would definately contact the higher-ups and tell them what happened, and that if any mention of it at any time will result in a harrassment claim.

A person cannot "pre-empt" an event by threatening any type of legal action. Sheesh...
Well behaved women rarely make history.

Tay

Post by Tay » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:15 am

geekster wrote:
The government is to me the provider of last resort when family and community have failed you. Unfortunately, many these days seem to look to government as the first line provider and they end up frustrated and disappointed. It is my opinion that more often than not, involving the government in your life is generally a mistake and they have the potential and track record of screwing up more than they fix and that legacy goes back decades spanning all levels of government from the city to the county, to the state, to the federal and is not in my experiance related to any particular political party or administration. The problem is that average community people don't get involved and volunteer, most just don't have the time, but overall, people just seem to rely on "the government" to handle it and overall, they do a bad job of it.

Amen Brother.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:38 am

You might point out that you would consider reporting her to the school authorities for visiting San Francisco because "everybody knows" what goes on up there ... with all that "adult entertainment" and lewed behaviors in some of the "establishments" there.
A ramble off to memory lane: Thirty years ago I was a nanny in SF; I would ride the bus to school with "my" kid. The route went through Broadway (?) and I always got a chuckle out of the little kids sounding out the signs and wondering just what "Live Nudes" meant.

Of course, at 18, I knew what Live Nudes were, but was a bit hazy on just what they did.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:55 am

I think it's important to point out, that while we all know the value of "parenting", there are a lot of people who want the government to do that for us.

Recently a video game with a "Mature" rating (No one under 17 years of age is allowed to purchase a video game with an "M" rating) came under fire from, of all people, Hillary Clinton. Not because the video game features killing police officers, or stealing cars (it does) but because someone found a code that unlocks a portion of the game that allows you to *GASP* have sex!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4682533.stm

You see, in this country we're perfectly fine with killing, robbing and assulting, just don't show nudity or people having sex.

And of course Bill Clinton lobbied for and got the V-Chip, a computer chip that allowed parents to block certain types of rated programming on television. My mom had one of these in the 70's it was called the "OFF" button.
http://www.issues2000.org/Celeb/Bill_Cl ... ucture.htm

I bring these two up because it's not just a "Republican" or "Right Wing" issue, per se.

People have a HUGE problem with sex and nudity in this country. When your child goes to school and tells people, "Yeah, I was hanging out with naked people on my vacation". That's going to raise some eyebrows, in most parts of the country. (San Francisco being the most notable obvious exception).

Hell, I'm an adult and I tell people that I don't know very well that "I went camping".
Unfortunately we are talking about our governments social services - historically inept organizations bound up in carrying out, or sometimes fighting, political agendas from their superiors

You nailed it Spectabillis,

Recently there was a case in Florida in which a 13 year old girl was living in Foster Care and became pregnant while she was a run-away from the Foster Care program. She returned and sought out an abortion by contacting her social worker. In Florida a teenager is legally allowed to get an abortion with the only requirement being that her parent or guardian is notified (no permission is required).

The social worker made the appointment, but the social worker's supervisor notified the court who blocked her from getting the abortion.

This is a classic case of how the normal laws are not always applied in these juvenile court cases. Clearly if this had been any other teen in the state of Florida seeking an abortion, the parental/guardian notification would have been all that was required.

Instead this young woman's personal and private life was turned into a political football.

http://womensissues.about.com/cs/aborti ... ortion.htm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7718218/

As someone else in another said so eloquently stated:

When you hear the words "We're the Government, and we're here to help you."
FUCKING RUN!

Magikal

Post by Magikal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:50 am

Chai Guy wrote:Recently a video game with a "Mature" rating (No one under 17 years of age is allowed to purchase a video game with an "M" rating) came under fire from, of all people, Hillary Clinton. Not because the video game features killing police officers, or stealing cars (it does) but because someone found a code that unlocks a portion of the game that allows you to *GASP* have sex!

You see, in this country we're perfectly fine with killing, robbing and assulting, just don't show nudity or people having sex.
Exactly! Good, clean, wholesale, wanton slaughter! I recall they did a bit on this on Oprah (or one of those) where they showed a scene from (I think) "Tool Box Murders". They showed the guy firing nails from a nail gun into this naked hottie (on daytime TV, no less), but they dutifully "black barred" her nipples & genitalia. Speaking as one who loves a good violent flik, even I think that's pretty lame.
Chai Guy wrote:And of course Bill Clinton lobbied for and got the V-Chip, a computer chip that allowed parents to block certain types of rated programming on television. My mom had one of these in the 70's it was called the "OFF" button.
:D :D :D Yeah, that was the technology my mom used, too.
Chai Guy wrote:Hell, I'm an adult and I tell people that I don't know very well that "I went camping".
"Arts festival. Yeah, big one." O' course, I work with a lot o' redneks...
"All the great villainies of history have been perpetrated by sober men, and chiefly by teetotalers"

H.L.Mencken

Return to “Open Discussion”