Question¿¿¿¿¿

All things outside of Burning Man.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Question¿¿¿¿¿

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:06 am

Last nite I was dreaming about being in Fa. after Wilma. I was looking for a gas station with a gennie so I could have a cold soda.
After I had found my drink I talked to the sation owner. I asked: If there were no stores open and not where to go. Why the hell would any one line up for 10 mile to get gas? Those people must be a sample of the dumbest sheep in the whole USA. This morning I looked around my own home. And discovered I have enough to keep me alive for a long time. If it got real long there maybe a problem. But I would have caned and boxed good for 90 days. I live alone now. So I have 6 galons of ice in containers and 6 gallon of cold water. They are used to cut down cooling space. The ice would last about a week. I keep a good food supplly Also have beans, rice, suger, tea, coffee, barly, spices and other dry foods. Oh and a rain barrel and 10 gallons of gas. This is a normal household stock.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:10 am

But aren't you a jack mormon? Old habits die hard and all. Look I think that those floridians are a little silly at times too, but dang they are stressed out and scared and I'm always a little grumpy when I don't get enough to eat and if your house blows away, doesn't your little stock pile as well? From what I know of Florida geology, it doesn't seem like a good place for storm cellars. And let's face it, the building codes are criminal in the way that they pretend a storm won't happen...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:22 am

theCryptofishist wrote:But aren't you a jack mormon? Old habits die hard and all. Look I think that those floridians are a little silly at times too, but dang they are stressed out and scared and I'm always a little grumpy when I don't get enough to eat and if your house blows away, doesn't your little stock pile as well? From what I know of Florida geology, it doesn't seem like a good place for storm cellars. And let's face it, the building codes are criminal in the way that they pretend a storm won't happen...

~
I will admitt I grow up very poor. So I keep a handle on where my next meal is coming from. But to stand in a 10 mile line to get gas with no where to go is just stupid. Or the lady with a baby. She was standing for hours in the hot sun waiting for one bag or ice. She clamed the baby was over heated and neded the ice right now. What I saw was a dumb ass standing in the sun with a kid wraped in sleep ware and a blanket.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:27 am

theCryptofishist wrote: And let's face it, the building codes are criminal in the way that they pretend a storm won't happen...
What's interesting is that the relatives I have in Gulfport who live in mobile homes fared fine. They used eight hurricane straps on each structure and survived; the stickbuilt structures around them are severely damaged such that the cost to repair them might exceed the cost of a new manufactured home.

The relatives who live in actual houses did alright too somehow, but when the rain came back they saw by the sheer leakage how damaged the house in fact was.

By the way, Gulfport update: As of a couple of weeks ago they had roped up the entire downtown area and began bulldozing just about everything that remained.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

HEADBANDMAN

I would not last long

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:28 pm

I remember watching that Movie "War of Worlds" and going out the next day and buying some stew to keep in my apartment. I strugle to just to finish the food I buy. I think any city that had a major desiaster the first people to suffer the most are the poor people. Check this sight out and think about what you would do? http://www.72hours.org/

HEADBANDMAN

I would not last long

Post by HEADBANDMAN » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:29 pm

I remember watching that Movie "War of Worlds" and going out the next day and buying some stew to keep in my apartment. I strugle to just to finish the food I buy. I think any city that had a major desiaster the first people to suffer the most are the poor people. Check this sight out and think about what you would do? http://www.72hours.org/

Return to “Open Discussion”