will Arnold let Tookie live?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Daddy Don aka/Goodwood

GONE.....

Post by Daddy Don aka/Goodwood » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:12 pm

just could not help thinking of the poor guy shot gunned in the back pleading for his life, or the family also shot. all the humility does not resolve a very bad deed done. sorry.

:twisted:
It is all about love and service and cause no harm,

Daddy Don

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:01 pm

ahhh...the voices of hardened hearts and death justice......how they shine here like black blossoms of despair.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:31 am

cowboyangel wrote:ahhh...the voices of hardened hearts and death justice......how they shine here like black blossoms of despair.
well, commuting the death sentence of a convicted murderer is a turd that won't take a shine.
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:EDB--I'm posting from work. And you know, a couple hours later, I don't really have to. It's wrong, but I've been dealt so many wrongs that now I'm living my life in the best way I can find to make me happy. Life is always too short. Getting hung up on one set of details only diminishes the amount of joy you do get. Don't cheat yourself. Especially if someone else cheated you already.
Not to detract this debate because I am not about to thow myself into it, but to help mitigate any harsh personal comments to be thrown around.

Look at the date, what sobering forshadow, Merry Christmas people and I wish the best for you all.

Magikal

Post by Magikal » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:40 am

cowboyangel wrote:ahhh...the voices of hardened hearts and death justice......how they shine here like black blossoms of despair.
CA, for the record, I do admire your stand. I disagree with you, but you do have a very merciful view, which is most admirable. Most who bray the loudest about being Christians cannot say the same. I merely think your mercy & compassion are/were misplaced in this case. Tookie wasn't a good guy; your energy would have been better spent elsewhere.
"All the great villainies of history have been perpetrated by sober men, and chiefly by teetotalers"

H.L.Mencken

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm

thanks M. Someone once said.."As you do unto the least of these, you do unto me"

from Matthew
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:36 pm

[quote="cowboyangel"]thanks M. Someone once said.."As you do unto the least of these, you do unto me"

I'm sure that thought brought great comfort and consolation to all the thousands of mothers and brothers and sisters of the many hundreds of people killed by Cripps.
A cop came to the door and said,,,,your kid was just gunned down for no reason in a robbery and afterward the guy just laughed!!!

I'm sure that bible verse took away all the pain.

Many thousands of people who burried a loved one killed by the org that Tookie organized.

You can cling to your bleeding-heart viewpoint, but there's no way that you can justify it.
You see no value in his execution as a deterrent to others. You place more value on his worthless criminal carcass than you do on the lives of the innocent would-be-victims who won't be victims because their would-be-murderers learned a lesson from Tookies death.

If you want to quote Matthew, I'll quote back Dueteronomy. If a son struck his father, he was to be put to death. The penalty for murder was death etc
Your position is emotional, irrational, and counter to the needs of a peaceful rational society.
You can hold to your position, but you can't explain or justify it in any manner.
Have a nice day.
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:59 pm

Bible quotes? Whatever....thankfully not everyone puts such high importance on a book that's been translated and translated until there are serious questions about if the message itself is valid anymore. To learn more about why so many versions exist here's a quick little piece that goes into it:

http://www.victorious.org/translat.htm

If you consider how many of the major religions in the world value that book so highly you'll find that it's believers are truly a minority. Just for a reference I'll post a quick list.

Major Religions of the World
Ranked by Number of Adherents

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
Cite: http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

My point is anyone can quote anything from that silly book they want...and it's still a minority viewpoint being expressed. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but for those who say the Bible is so special they are sadly mistaken. It's just another book and most likely a poorly translated and highly inaccurate version at that.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Kinetic 5.75

Post by Kinetic 5.75 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:33 pm

[quote="Kinetic IV"]Bible quotes? Whatever....thankfully not everyone puts such high importance on a book that's been translated and translated until there are serious questions about if the message itself is valid anymore. To learn more about why so many versions exist here's a quick little piece that goes into it:

http://www.victorious.org/translat.htm

If you consider how many of the major religions in the world value that book so highly you'll find that it's believers are truly a minority. Just for a reference I'll post a quick list.

[size=9]Major Religions of the World
Ranked by Number of Adherents

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.3 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million
Shinto: 4 million
Cao Dai: 4 million
Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
Tenrikyo: 2 million
Neo-Paganism: 1 million
Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
Scientology: 500 thousand
Cite: http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html[/size]

My point is anyone can quote anything from that silly book they want...and it's still a minority viewpoint being expressed. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but for those who say the Bible is so special they are sadly mistaken. It's just another book and most likely a poorly translated and highly inaccurate version at that.[/quote]

That silly book?
deuce low yellow going on treble medium mauve

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:40 pm

Obviously socks can't read. Yeah I called it that.
When it's being used as the book of all books for everything from diet plans to financial planning it's downright silly. When it's being used to drive science out of schools under the masquerade of I.D. ...anyway I went off on a tangent. The Deuteronomy quote just irked me, it's a book that Fred Phelps likes to quote. I'll get back on topic.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:43 pm

cowboyangel wrote:thanks M. Someone once said.."As you do unto the least of these, you do unto me"

from Matthew
Luke 6:31 "Do to others as you would have them do to you."

Violate this rule and you are already dead to me. Execution is a formality.
It's what you make it.

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:15 am

HughMungus wrote:
cowboyangel wrote:thanks M. Someone once said.."As you do unto the least of these, you do unto me"

from Matthew

cba, this non-christian secular buddhist doesn't care what that two book novel called the bible says...
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:02 am

Here's another reason why Christianity is scary:

K-IV
~~~~

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:07 am

Oh Jesus!!!
for christ sake dont DO that!!!

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:35 am

Talk about thread drift... Wonder why that happens...

bb

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:42 am

I guess the original poster`s question has been answered.

It`s now all about praying for tookie...
...who will no longer be preying for anyone...

kinda tragic
kinda ok by me

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:44 am

The thread had to drift. It's not a question any more if Arnold will let Tookie live.
To me the bible is just one more book that people can use to teach moral guidelines to their children. That's about all the value that I see in it.
I've read several of these ancient books.
I'll teach my kids the moral values that I find in "The Illiad and the Odessey"
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am

But the thing is...

if the thread has outlived it's useful life...

it's over. Why beat a dead horse.

Apparently, Arnold did not. Story over. Book closed, back in the stacks.

What does the initial thread - "will Arnold let Tookie Live?" have to do with the bible, and judeo-christian prayer? Not his execution, but that original question?

Let Tookie's soul rest in peace.

Then again, maybe it should have drifted into Politics instead???

Yeah, Politics and Religion. 2 topics that shouldn't be discussed in polite company, and that mix like holy water and pork barrel grease. >>giggles<<

Have a day...
bb

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:59 am

I really like the book of Job...
it is quite a ride and truly inspiring.
The poor fuck endured all there was, never lost his faith or his will ...
Job was the original burner.

alot of the rest is ancient feces....er ..thesies

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:03 am

Simply Joel wrote:
HughMungus wrote:

from Matthew

cba, this non-christian secular buddhist doesn't care what that two book novel called the bible says...
I'm a Christian Humanist. I only cite the bible when I need to make a point to Christians. :D
It's what you make it.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:06 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:But the thing is...

if the thread has outlived it's useful life...

it's over. Why beat a dead horse.

Apparently, Arnold did not. Story over. Book closed, back in the stacks.

What does the initial thread - "will Arnold let Tookie Live?" have to do with the bible, and judeo-christian prayer? Not his execution, but that original question?
Exposition on why we feel the way we do about the original topic. Currently I'm fighting the notion that if you are for the death penalty, you are not compassionate. That's just ridiculous.
It's what you make it.

Sean_til_Dawn

Post by Sean_til_Dawn » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:33 am

The pro-Tookie people at San Quentin were unbelievable. Check out the green vested anarchocommunazis!

http://www.zombietime.com/tookie/

(I am Sarcastic Dude)

:lol:

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:36 am

Ecclesiastes has some beautiful poetry in it.

"The race is not to the swift, nor yet riches to the wise, but time and circumstance happen to all men."

The Book of Esther is a compelling read. It's also the only book in the Old Testament where the scary ghost in the sky never makes a personal appearance, and a strong woman is the main charecter.

like it or not, the bible is a bedrock story of our culture, and some familerity with it helps to understand where we are in the world.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Magikal

Post by Magikal » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:31 am

And on a related note:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib ... egion.html

"Hometown seeks to make amends

December 21, 2005

VIENNA, Austria – The mayor of Arnold Schwarzenegger's hometown in Austria yesterday asked the California governor to reconsider his decision to end ties to the city after locals assailed him for his stand on the death penalty."

Whoo-hoo!!! Man, that Arnie has got a pair! I hate the pandering politician pantswetters (ain't that alotta p's! :P ) who bend with whichever way the political wind happens to blow today! Arnie chose a course and stuck with it, no matter what. Great to see a man with some backbone, suren'thell are a rare breed today.

For those of you who haven't been following this particular side story, Arnie's home town in Austria was going to strike his name from a sports arena there in protest for him letting Tookie get planted. Some whiney Christian group even suggested they change it to "Tookie Williams" arena. :roll:

Well, the Goobernator didn't take that laying down! He told them to stop using his name!

Now they're crawling back and trying to make nice! You gutless wonders! Your hometown boy has more intestinal fortitude than you will ever have!
"All the great villainies of history have been perpetrated by sober men, and chiefly by teetotalers"

H.L.Mencken

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:31 am

Hum!

This thread is still going?

I guess thread drift is good or at least better than what this board was doing before this thread was created anyway.

Drift on! :D
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:45 am

DVD Burner wrote:I guess thread drift is good or at least better than what this board was doing before this thread was created anyway.
Could you please tell me why you believe that?

Going back over your posts for the last few months say that you have not been active. Have you been lurking?

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:57 am

spectabillis wrote: Could you please tell me why you believe that?

Going back over your posts for the last few months say that you have not been active. Have you been lurking?
Now you and the OH's know I always lurk. :lol:

Someone has to watch what you lovely people do.

Besides, I wanted to see what kind of a so called great atmousphere that a certain Taxidea claimed they were going to bring about.

That's neither here nor there though.

Participation is all that matters, eh? :P

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:03 pm

I place a rather high premium on coherence, but that's just me.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:04 pm

No, but I do know now that you lurk.
Besides, I wanted to see what kind of a so called great atmousphere that a certain Taxidea claimed they were going to bring about.
Who? Or more importantly, WTF are you talking about?

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:32 pm

spectabillis wrote:
Who? Or more importantly, WTF are you talking about?
It's not important.

It's nice to see the opinions of the participants in this thread.

Return to “Open Discussion”