Going Postal?

All things outside of Burning Man.
robotland

Going Postal?

Post by robotland » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm at a crossroads right now, after having had my tech position at The West Michigan Cancer Center eliminated....While waiting for the world to discover me as the artistic genius I truly am, I thought I might take the Postal Worker Assessment. Any postie burners with thoughts or advice on the subject?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:33 pm

...I would recommend a AK47 with a 75 round drum. If you get some of the old steel-core 7.62 ammo, you should have no problems... :D

How's it going Robotland? Started the frame today....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:10 pm

I've taken the postal exam. It's not hard, if you're good at memorizing numbers, putting them in order, that sort of thing. The most notable thing about the exam is that it's in two parts: the first being questions of the aforementioned type, the second (and longer) half being "personality" questions--questions designed to determine your work style, how well you play with others, whether you'd be better out delivering mail or behind a desk or sorting in the back, etc.

Often you can only take the test/apply if they put out an open call for jobs. You'll need the code from that opening to register for the exam (at least in CA; I know it's differnt other places, depends how desperately they need people). I answered one of these calls. There must have been 1,000 other people answered as well, becuase that's about how many people were in ther oom when we all took the test. Now, not everyone will pass or qualify for the same positions, but that's some healthy competition, sheer-numbers-wise.

Supposedly if you score 90-100, you hear back for a job right away, 80-90 within one year, and 70-80 within two years. I took it almost a year ago, after I lost my then-current job. I have yet to hear anything from the PO other than my test score. (But in the meantime I scored pretty much my ideal dream job, so that's okay, I don't mind).

I'd suggest going ahead and registering for/taking the test if you can, becuase what's it gonna hurt? But be aware that it's usually a long process and there's no guarantee of anything.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:46 am

Thanks, Ivy! My unspoken plan is the same..."Assume that my dream job will manifest itself while waiting to hear from the USPS." What bugs me is that the tollfree number on the USPS site directs you to people that want you to pay a hundred bucks for study guides and such, while materials are available elsewhere for MUCH less...and, as near as I can figure, they don't charge you to take the test. (Could be wrong...it's just not mentioned anywhere on their site.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:14 am

You're correct, there's no charge to take the test. But, like I said, they're probably unlikely to give out any info unless they have an actual opening (for which you'd need that code #). The places I usually see them are the want ads in the paper (the ad will have a number) and then you go online to apply and you have to type that number in. Thta's how I did it. You can't get any further without that number.

http://www.usps.com/employment/citycarrier.htm

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:34 am

i'd like to be a rural mail carrier... drive around all day....

"Here is your mail, maam."

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:19 am

Naaahhhh...

I applied for them while waiting for my current job to start hiring. (Is *all* civil service like that??) AFter I got hired here, I ended up working with a bunch of people who *had* been route carriers, and to a tee, they couldn't wait to get the **** away from the USPS. It may be better now, but back then it was (their quote, not mine) a paid trip to the psycho ward.

Then again... like I said above... maybe all civil service is like that, too? (grins)

bb

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:48 am

Yeah, there seems to be something decidedly OFF about USPS people...I guess that's why I applied. I just applied for Meter Reader, too. To be paid to drive around all day, talking to myself and walking around strangers' houses. Neato!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Open Discussion”