Why are you an atheist?

All things outside of Burning Man.
Post Reply
User avatar
Rob the Wop
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: Furbackistan, OR
Contact:

Post by Rob the Wop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:19 am

Read book.
Reread thread.
The answers have always been before you grasshopper.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:19 am

HughMungus wrote:So because something hasn't been detected, it does not, in fact, exist?

Before answering that question, I would ask by what means could god be detected?

By subtle changes in our chemistry, making us feel loved and wanted?
We could disprove that.
By getting what we want after asking the sky for it?
We could show a cause and effect, but no god.

Its not so much that something hasn't been detected, but that it can not be detected.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:21 am

Rob the Wop wrote:Read book.
Reread thread.
The answers have always been before you grasshopper.
And yet you can't just re-post the answer. How funny. I won't push you on it. Your house of cards might collapse and I don't want to be responsible for that.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
Rob the Wop
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: Furbackistan, OR
Contact:

Post by Rob the Wop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:22 am

HughMungus wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:
HughMungus wrote: My god you really think very highly of yourself don't you? Does it make you feel smart to think that everybody else is stupid?
Where did I say everyone else is stupid?
You think I don't know what "ignorant" means. You must think very highly of yourself and very little of others. No wonder you can't admit that you might be wrong.
Then tell me how "refusing to answer my questions" is tied into "I'm ignorant".

Read book.
Reread thread.
You asked a question, I answered it. Multiple times.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:23 am

bringer wrote:
HughMungus wrote:So because something hasn't been detected, it does not, in fact, exist?

Before answering that question, I would ask by what means could god be detected?

By subtle changes in our chemistry, making us feel loved and wanted?
We could disprove that.
By getting what we want after asking the sky for it?
We could show a cause and effect, but no god.

Its not so much that something hasn't been detected, but that it can not be detected.
So you're not going to answer the question, either. Wow. I never knew until now that it's this easy to stump an atheist.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
Rob the Wop
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: Furbackistan, OR
Contact:

Post by Rob the Wop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:23 am

HughMungus wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:Read book.
Reread thread.
The answers have always been before you grasshopper.
And yet you can't just re-post the answer. How funny. I won't push you on it. Your house of cards might collapse and I don't want to be responsible for that.
I have reposted the answer.
Multiple times.
It doesn't work with you.

Read book.
Reread thread.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:25 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
HughMungus wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote: Where did I say everyone else is stupid?
You think I don't know what "ignorant" means. You must think very highly of yourself and very little of others. No wonder you can't admit that you might be wrong.
Then tell me how "refusing to answer my questions" is tied into "I'm ignorant".

Read book.
Reread thread.
You asked a question, I answered it. Multiple times.
You refuse to answer my questions and/or simply re-post the answer and you say that I'm ignorant and you're not.

You never answered it. If you had you would post the answer again instead of telling me that you already answered it. You can't even tell me which page. And you probably think you're smart.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:26 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
HughMungus wrote:
Rob the Wop wrote:Read book.
Reread thread.
The answers have always been before you grasshopper.
And yet you can't just re-post the answer. How funny. I won't push you on it. Your house of cards might collapse and I don't want to be responsible for that.
I have reposted the answer.
Multiple times.
It doesn't work with you.

Read book.
Reread thread.
Which page is the answer on? Gee, I wonder what your answer will be THIS time.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
Rob the Wop
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: Furbackistan, OR
Contact:

Post by Rob the Wop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 am

HughMungus wrote:
Which page is the answer on? Gee, I wonder what your answer will be THIS time.
Read book.
Reread thread.
You were told on multiple pages, by multiple people.
Gee, I wonder what answer will be utterly ignored this time.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

helitack
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: A secret, undisclosed location in TexMexistan...

Post by helitack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:29 am

Bandwidth Vampirism

User avatar
Rob the Wop
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: Furbackistan, OR
Contact:

Post by Rob the Wop » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 am

helitack wrote:Bandwidth Vampirism
I think the servers can handle it.
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 am

Rob the Wop wrote:
HughMungus wrote:
Which page is the answer on? Gee, I wonder what your answer will be THIS time.
Read book.
Reread thread.
You were told on multiple pages, by multiple people.
Gee, I wonder what answer will be utterly ignored this time.
So you have a belief system but you can't explain it to others, YOURSELF. How funny.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:33 am

So you're not going to answer the question, either. Wow. I never knew until now that it's this easy to stump an atheist.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
you didn't answer mine either.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:34 am

bringer wrote:
So you're not going to answer the question, either. Wow. I never knew until now that it's this easy to stump an atheist.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
you didn't answer mine either.
Which one? Repost it and I'll answer it again. Unlike some people, I can actually explain why I believe what I believe.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:35 am

So you have a belief system but you can't explain it to others, YOURSELF. How funny.

Why do you call atheism a "belief system"?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 am

HughMungus wrote:Which one? Repost it and I'll answer it again. Unlike some people, I can actually explain why I believe what I believe.
bringer wrote:...by what means could god be detected?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

helitack
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: A secret, undisclosed location in TexMexistan...

Post by helitack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 am

OK, let's try this. Has anyone ever seen or had a Hopi missionary come to your house, tell you what you believe is wrong, and sit or stand there for extended periods of time attempting to convince you that you are wrong?

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:39 am

bringer wrote:
HughMungus wrote:Which one? Repost it and I'll answer it again. Unlike some people, I can actually explain why I believe what I believe.
bringer wrote:...by what means could god be detected?
I don't know. But that we can't detect god does not mean that he doesn't exist just as our current inability to prove that aliens exist does not mean that aliens do not exist. This wraps back around to my un-answered question: if you can't disprove anything, how can you believe that god does not exist? You can't disprove it and you can't prove it so how do you end-up with "God does not exist"?
It's what you make it.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:40 am

bringer wrote:
So you have a belief system but you can't explain it to others, YOURSELF. How funny.

Why do you call atheism a "belief system"?
Because that's what it is. Your point?
It's what you make it.

User avatar
joel the ornery
Posts: 2657
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:28 pm
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Contact:

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:40 am

helitack wrote:OK, let's try this. Has anyone ever seen or had a Hopi missionary come to your house, tell you what you believe is wrong, and sit or stand there for extended periods of time attempting to convince you that you are wrong?
no, but if you hum a few bars, i'll try.

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:41 am

you didn't answer the question.
You said you don't know.
That is not exactly an answer.
I thought you said "I can actually explain why I believe what I believe."
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

helitack
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: A secret, undisclosed location in TexMexistan...

Post by helitack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 am

Don't see many Druid missionaries either.

User avatar
mojo
Posts: 1609
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:47 am
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Post by mojo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:43 am

I understand the logic of your argument. Keep in mind though, that if that rock miraculously got up and walked across the water, it would still not prove it's "divinity" under your definition.

There are people that worship all kinds of things, rocks and all. Are they stupid? Less informed than I? I just can't be narcissistic enough to think I have the only answer.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:44 am

bringer wrote:you didn't answer the question.
You said you don't know.
That is not exactly an answer.
I thought you said "I can actually explain why I believe what I believe."
OK, let's go back a bit. What do you think I believe?
It's what you make it.

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:44 am

Okay, Hugh.
A simpler question... er... set of questions.

What does this god that you wish me to disprove do?
What are his attributes?
What are his powers?
why is he god?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

User avatar
bringer
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Post by bringer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:47 am

mojo wrote:I understand the logic of your argument. Keep in mind though, that if that rock miraculously got up and walked across the water, it would still not prove it's "divinity" under your definition.

There are people that worship all kinds of things, rocks and all. Are they stupid? Less informed than I? I just can't be narcissistic enough to think I have the only answer.
I never called anyone stupid.
Maybe they are less informed. Worshiping a plane because you don't understand Bernouli's principals is an example.
I don't have the only answer, either. Nor do I claim to, but until proven otherwise, I think its the only answer that makes sense given our current understanding of the universe.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

helitack
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: A secret, undisclosed location in TexMexistan...

Post by helitack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:50 am

Here is a valid question:

How many of us are ripping off our respective employers by having this pointelss argument on company time with company computers?

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 am

bringer wrote:Okay, Hugh.
A simpler question... er... set of questions.

What does this god that you wish me to disprove do?
What are his attributes?
What are his powers?
why is he god?
I'm not asking you to disprove god. I'm saying, "If you can't disprove anything, how can you say there is no god?" I'm asking how you arrived at "There is no god". Do you have proof that there is no god or do you simply not believe in it because you've never experienced it?
It's what you make it.

User avatar
joel the ornery
Posts: 2657
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:28 pm
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Contact:

Post by joel the ornery » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:51 am

well, "ripping off" seems like an extreme representation of the facts.

helitack
Posts: 4140
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 pm
Burning Since: 2004
Location: A secret, undisclosed location in TexMexistan...

Post by helitack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:52 am

HughMungus wrote:
bringer wrote:Okay, Hugh.
A simpler question... er... set of questions.

What does this god that you wish me to disprove do?
What are his attributes?
What are his powers?
why is he god?
I'm not asking you to disprove god. I'm saying, "If you can't disprove anything, how can you say there is no god?" I'm asking how you arrived at "There is no god". Do you have proof that there is no god or do you simply not believe in it because you've never experienced it?
With that, I think another whiskey is in order

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”