60+ mpg (Only the Gods do better)
4%
I only use human powered vehicles!
5%

Total votes: 215

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Postby BAS » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:49 am

Yeah, I just spent a bunch of time reading about the Tatras on Wikipedia.

Cool vehicles. I wouldn't mind having one... I wonder what happened to Castro's white one? :wink:

Argh! Gotta go finish my state taxes. I've managed to put it off all morning, and that's about all the longer I should put it off.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

spirited
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: 2015 Roller Disco. 8:29 Esplanade.

Re: MPG 200-275 per gl

Postby spirited » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:29 am

[quote="unjonharley"][quote="spirited"]Last year at hotwheelz camp we ran a Honda generator that can charge 10to14 power chars&scooters In 6.5 hr=1gl of gas. thy have a rang of 17 to 28 mils on the playa.
NOT TO BAD.[/quote]

\/
My camp mate and I will have new 36volt chairs this year..Would it be posible to charge at Hotwheelz??.. We charge off 120 to 36v inverters[/quo ]

YES bring charger&chair/s to HOT WHEELZ CAMP!

Here at Hot Wheelz Camp, we offer the gift of mobility to fellow Burners who might have difficulty traveling to the far reaches of Black Rock City. It is our goal to expand and enhance the opportunities for our Themecamp guests to PARTICIPATE!
[/quote]
02 Temple. 03 Cooked Tuna. 04 two art cars. 05 Camp Sunscreen. 06-8 Hot Wheelz. 09-12 BRC Department of Mobility. 13-15 Gifted mobility. 2015 Medusa Madness, R-Evolution, Totem Confessions, Reformation Portal, Own Way, Airport Play Ground, Temple.

Green Wood

Postby Green Wood » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:09 am

helitack wrote:How many of those single car accidents involve not wearing a seat belt?
I'll stick with my damn near three ton vehicle thank you very much.

Are you saying you drive it because you are afraid.

Isn't fear is how they control you?
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

helitack
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Nuevo Apokiliptika

Postby helitack » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:24 pm

That's too funny.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

Box Burner

Postby Box Burner » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:05 pm

It is up on blocks so it is not very efficient right now :D
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

BAS

Postby BAS » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Box Burner wrote:It is up on blocks so it is not very efficient right now :D

I'd think it would be very fuel efficient; because, it isn't using any fuel while not running! :wink:

B.
--Russell Kirsch

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:10 pm

\/
What? Your not getting good milage.

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:12 pm

BAS wrote:

I'd think it would be very fuel efficient; because, it isn't using any fuel while not running! :wink:

B.

\/
Damn BAS, You beat me to that one..

Box Burner

Postby Box Burner » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:13 pm

MPG is not very good, but I can drive with my eyes closed. :lol:
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

BAS

Postby BAS » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Box Burner wrote:MPG is not very good, but I can drive with my eyes closed. :lol:

It does have the advantage that you can even drive it to places you normally couldn't-- Hawaii, Mars, Venus, Middle Earth...! :wink:

B.
--Russell Kirsch

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:18 pm

BAS wrote:
Box Burner wrote:MPG is not very good, but I can drive with my eyes closed. :lol:

It does have the advantage that you can even drive it to places you normally couldn't-- Hawaii, Mars, Venus, Middle Earth...! :wink:

B.

\/
And no DUI's

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:15 pm

unjonharley wrote:
gyre wrote:What was the Man Track?

\/
It's a recumbent Harley..Has a hatch on top to enter..Great body design..Two wheels front steering, one drive wheel rear..Spoiler on the front..Hot looking..I've had the picture two years..It must have been a show design..

\/
Here is a picture of the car..A few days late but that's how I amm

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc3

gyre

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:44 pm

That's pretty cool looking.
I found some similar things on the links I posted and there are more out there.
I hear good things about the Ariel Atom.
Some have a choice of bike or car engines.
I have designed a mid-engine trike that I think would out perform a cambering bike.
I nearly bought a Lotus Seven with a V8 in it.
Body wrapped around it like an aircraft.
About a half inch of clearance, I think.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:13 pm

Here is the one I want take off from the design..I would go peddle electric and lighten the whole thing..I have a lot of the running gear in my shop..scuse the cutting table back ground..Just got all my enlargments back from the printer.. I'm being a real cut up today..

http://community.webtv.net/unjonharley/doc5

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:15 pm

95 M3 getting about 20 mpg in town, depending on how much fun i want to have at any given moment. Usually, a lot.

I shelled out nearly $3.50 per gallon last week (it likes the good stuff), so the end of an era may be nigh.

Thanks for the great links! The Brookes and Carvers are amazing! Want one, or two..

I can't at all justify owning a vehicle capable of hauling all my shit to BM, so i will likely rent something or other this year. Anybody have good rental vehicle recommendations? Anything, or company, that you would absolutely steer clear of?
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:09 am

There are threads on this here and there.
Some real horror stories.
The big companies don't seem to come off to well.
You might look at an older reliable truck if possible.
Look around and ask around.
Rental is very high here.

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Jus Say Ventura

Postby Jus Say Ventura » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:50 pm

posted from: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm

Shifting Gears: Real Money-Saving Steps
There are numerous no- or low-cost steps you can take to combat rising gas prices. The most important place to start is at the gas pump; buy only the octane level gas you need. All gas pumps must post the octane rating of the gas under the FTC's Fuel Rating Rule. Remember, the higher the octane, the higher the price. Check your owner's manual to determine the right octane level for your car.

Here are some additional tips from the EPA to help you get better gas mileage.

Drive more efficiently

Stay within posted speed limits. The faster you drive, the more fuel you use. For example, driving at 65 miles per hour (mph), rather than 55 mph, increases fuel consumption by 20 percent. Driving at 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, increases fuel consumption by another 25 percent.
Use overdrive gears. Overdrive gears improve the fuel economy of your car during highway driving. Your car's engine speed decreases when you use overdrive. This reduces both fuel consumption and engine wear.
Use cruise control. Using cruise control on highway trips can help you maintain a constant speed and, in most cases, reduce your fuel consumption.
Anticipate driving situations. If you anticipate traffic conditions and don't tailgate, you can avoid unnecessary braking and acceleration, and improve your fuel economy by 5 to 10 percent. In city driving, nearly 50 percent of the energy needed to power your car goes to acceleration. Go easy on the gas pedal and brakes. "Jack-rabbit" starts and sudden stops are wasteful.
Avoid unnecessary idling. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a lengthy wait. No matter how efficient your car is, unnecessary idling wastes fuel, costs you money and pollutes the air.
Combine errands. Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm.
Remove excess weight from the trunk. Avoid carrying unneeded items, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk reduces a typical car's fuel economy by one to two percent.
Maintain your car

Keep your engine tuned. Studies have shown that a poorly tuned engine can increase fuel consumption by as much as 10 to 20 percent depending on a car's condition. Follow the recommended maintenance schedule in your owner's manual; you'll save fuel and your car will run better and last longer.
Keep your tires properly inflated and aligned. Car manufacturers must place a label in the car stating the correct tire pressure. The label usually is on the edge of the door or door jamb, in the glove box, or on the inside of the gas cap cover. If the label lists a psi (pounds per square inch) range, use the higher number to maximize your fuel efficiency. Underinflated tires cause fuel consumption to increase by six percent.
Change your oil. Clean oil reduces wear caused by friction between moving parts and removes harmful substances from the engine. Change your oil as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer.
Check and replace air filters regularly. Your car's air filter keeps impurities in the air from damaging internal engine components. Not only will replacing a dirty air filter improve your fuel economy, it also will protect your engine. Clogged filters can cause up to a 10 percent increase in fuel consumption.
Consider buying a fuel efficient vehicle
Deciding which vehicle to buy may be the most important fuel economy decision you make. The difference between a car that gets 20 MPG (miles per gallon) and one that gets 30 MPG amounts to $3,125 over 5 years, assuming gas costs $2.50 per gallon and you drive 15,000 miles a year.

Visit www.fueleconomy.gov for more information. You’ll find gas mileage estimates and other data from EPA for 1985-2007 model year cars.
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)

mojo

Postby mojo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:37 pm

I was shocked when I realized over the weekend that my litle 2 seater sports car is probably the worst thing I own for the environment, including my RV! Since it's a classic, it is all steel, and incredibly heavy for it's size. It only runs well on good high-octane gas and gets octane booster too. I don't take it out very often and had forgotten how it sucks down gas - has 3 SU carbs, each with giant 2 inch apertures.

I'm thankful that we have come such a long way with fuel economy and safety, but every now and again I just have to take the beast out for a little run. Then I feel guilty and do lots of penance. It's very much a Jekyll/Hyde kind of thing.

helitack

Postby helitack » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:43 pm

This fucking guilt thing about driving big trucks and fun cars laid upon us by certain people is almost as bad as the Catholic shit my aunt tried to lay on me as a kid. Fuck. We fucking drive hundreds or thousands of miles with lots of shit to camp in the middle of the desert using generators, burning shit up, then packing it all up and driving hundreds if not thousands of miles back to where we came from. Fuck...the faster we use up the petroleum the quicker we are out from under the thumb of Kings and dictators who control the oil. Shit, when the oil is gone the checkers at the store won't be able to say paper or plastic, maybe glass will come back. and canvas sacks...

Glittering Clitoris

Postby Glittering Clitoris » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:08 pm

helitack wrote:...the faster we use up the petroleum the quicker we are out from under the thumb of Kings and dictators who control the oil. Shit, when the oil is gone the checkers at the store won't be able to say paper or plastic...

You got a problem with us catholics?

Just kidding

Once you use up the petroleum, the Jolly Green Giant will take on greater proportions of power in the world. Imagine Monsanto as the new world power of energy and right now they are developing super genetic altered plants for fuel.

Most people don't know, but plastic is also made from plants too. Remember those old telephones- soy beans boy and girls.

HoHoHo Green Giant!

mojo

Postby mojo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm not worried about oil running out - I'm worried about global famine caused by warming. I believe we're in for it, no matter what. It doesn't make me love my evil beast of a gas guzzler any less.

gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 pm

What kind of sports car?

mojo

Postby mojo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:23 pm

Jaguar E-type roadster, series I, 4.2 liter. Commonly (but incorrectly)known as an XKE. One of two cars displayed as automotive art in the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art.

(Sigh)

gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Nice.
Shouldn't be that bad on fuel.
Anyway replacing it would burn up more resources than keeping it running.
I was offered a nice 68 with covered headlights and a hardtop.
I passed because my car was worth more.
I should have done it.
They tripled in value shortly afterward.
It had the weber conversion which seems to solve the carb problems.

That car is mostly aluminum, isn't it?
There are some good fuel injection setups that will take the car into this century.
Nothing wrong with the basic design.
I've been thinking about a factory five daytona.
The E style one piece front is a real plus to me.
I have that now in the rear and it is the only way to work on a car.

mojo

Postby mojo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:49 pm

With this car, I will remain a purist - it's too valuable to modify. I have a Triumph that someone tried to convert to the downdraft Webers - ran like crap until I found a set of the original Strombergs to put back on it (although that is a popular modification).

I did recently replace the fuel pump though - they make a new solid state perfect reproduction that looks exactly like the stock original. The funny part is that with the old one, there is a clicking noise made by the fuel pump after you turn the key and before you hit the starter button. They artificially reproduced the sound in the new solid state model (so better to fool those concourse judges).

This one (1965 1/2) is pretty much all steel. It stays home in the garage except for the very occasional cruise or car club event.

gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Still a nice car.
The webers as well as the short style fi, which looks like carbs, are reversible.
As long as you keep the original parts, should have no resale effect.
There is even a 5 litre ford conversion that requires no permanent changes.
A lot of folks do that to preserve the original engine.
The 5 litre has more power and I think the same weight.
I certainly wouldn't cut any sheet metal on a clean car.

My ford, on the other hand, has no original mechanical parts.
Suspension location has even changed.

My taste in cars has probably been permanently altered by D an E types.

I've been thinking of one of these with a 351W altered for a rear exit exhaust system.
I rode in one with the full vintage setup on it.
And if something happens to it, it's not irreplaceable.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkit ... pekit.html
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkit ... llery.html
http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkit ... epics.html

The last link has a shot of the fuel injection I was talking about.

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:34 pm

That's a beautiful car. I've drooled over the Cobra's for, well, ever. Maybe a kit some day..
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."

- Judge Dredd

Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:28 pm

helitack wrote:This fucking guilt thing about driving big trucks and fun cars laid upon us by certain people...

You talking 'bout me?

Its not about your fun cars or Trucks

Its about your everyday car for commuting or not driving that big truck when you don't need that big payload

You may have a nice $60,000 a year job, but some people couldn't even pay for the gas to get to work or like some people that drive for a living like truckers and even photographers that have to cover thousands of miles as a freelancer. Maybe its about American Soldiers having their fucking heads cut off for a lying president so his friends can get contracts for their oil companies and make a billion dollar profit in a month.

Maybe its not about you at all, but others, so drive your fun cars and offroad buggies, but at least get a fuel efficient vehicle for the other times.

AIIZ

gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Factory 5 seems to have debugged the whole process, especially for the money.
I went to their open house and they had over 100 owner built cars.
One had a kennebell blower and over 80,000 miles on it.
One car came from arizona.
Not bad for an open car.
The coupe is a little more complex but not bad.
Working on them is easier than a stock mustang for the most part.
I have some incredible photos of the roush coupe.

We were in the first coupe done which is vintage accurate in all details and we had some sport bikes pull over in a curve
to let us pass.
You don't have that happen often in a car.

helitack

Postby helitack » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Neener neener

Return to “Open Discussion”