"The Bar" Playa Structure Building Discussion

All things outside of Burning Man.
CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

"The Bar" Playa Structure Building Discussion

Post by CLARKcon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:20 pm

Hello fellow Bar participants and regulars :D ! With all the chat about actually building "The Bar" on the Playa, why not have a dedicated thread to aid in the construction efforts, thoughts, and planning? (Plus, with the main thread and an index thread to go with it, probably be a good idea to have this as a Do-It-Yourself 101 line.) Begin formulating building plans in 3...2...1...
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:08 am

large wooden cable reel.......round, no sides everyone equal

post in the center for umbrella/roof, also to stuff kindling and other flammables in the center core, along with the fuse....

6-8 wooden stools (combustible)

flag on the center pole over the roof " THE BAR"

after the burn...one final round, then torch the f'n BAR
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:24 am

About the booze factor...

A big-ass cabinet (like one of those 8' tall by 16' wide locker gigs) , firmly bolted to the ground, call it the backbar. Locked with a combo lock, only those here would know the combo. Stocked with booze, munchies, glassware (plasticware), etc. Basic rule - everyone supplies, everyone imbibes, everyone tends at one time or the other, everyone cleans up. Camp tax is 2 bottles, a case of beer, a case of mixer, and 2 bags of ice from Arctica every so often.. Plus whatever else you bring in over the week.

Lanterns for nighttime. Couple huge ice chests. Evap pond for the ice chests.

It could really be that simple. Make it part of a camp somewhere (people could keep an eye on it), or make it it's own camp (maybe even a registered theme camp? Kewl!). The only thing about location might be to have it near the 6:00 spoke to make it accessable to everyone.

Back 2 work...
bb

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:51 am

......with throw pillows!
BOOBIES!!!

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:25 pm

I am going to a thrift store today and look for a mirror to use as part of a Barback I want to build for this...
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:28 pm

And so it begins.....

Rock on Rockdad!!!

If anyone finds a bell, please bring it.

BODY SHOTS FOR EVERYONE!!!
BOOBIES!!!

mojo

Post by mojo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:37 pm

We need to start a wish list so we can sign up for things to bring - I agree with BBSue on the bar tax.
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:51 pm

What kind of bell?

Remember, it has to be lockable. Will probably also have to be a part of some kind of camp to keep control over it, unless it becomes it's own camp (could very well hapen!). Have to keep in compliance with the liquor laws and such...

>>> OR <<<

Just thought of this. Make it an art installation on the open playa. Could it be done? The future of a virtual bar brought to life? Hmmm... Kind of along the lines of the Dicky Box... Overlooking the Megapixel Project... Gawd, this thing could grow if we're not careful...

Someone would still have to be responsible for the thing...

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:51 pm

So far you can count on me on bringing at least 2 bottles of Wild Turkey. I want to turn some folks onto Rare Breed; its a form of Wild Turkey with a higher proof. It is so smooth. Also I wanna bring some neon straws. I brought some 2 years ago to the Deep End. They loved them.

If I had a tail right now, it would be waggin'
BOOBIES!!!

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Oh, lordy me. I pretty much gave up on keeping up with the goings on in the bar, now I might just have to pop back in...

Curse you, CLARKcon! *shakes fist angrily*

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:45 pm

I'm in.
I'd prefer it being located in a place that allows camping, like by pottie bank. Last year this discussion was brought up and it degenerated into an ego mash. I'd like to avoid that. I just want someplace to park my truck after Poop Patrol. I can certainly kick down booze.

Let's see... we'd need all the accoutrements described over time:
NEB, burn barrel, Dusty Couch

The hot tub might be a bit much on short notice.

Thanks CC for bringing this up.

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Well I am in on the tax to put me in for Vodka, Beer etc
Sue has a lot of good ideas I like the PlayaDickie/megapixels ones too.

I nominate Sue as "The Bar" coordinator.

Another Idea? Could we park it right next to Camp Antarctica? Maybe we could do some trading/barter?

What is the name going to be?

Tisha's Bar, EPlaya Bar, The Bar, The Forum, Tisha's Eplaya Bar, Default Bar?
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:57 pm

If you want this to be overrun by every horde imaginable, then put it next to Arctica. If, on the other hand, you'd like it to be a bit more under control, then it needs to be less obvious.

We can avoid problems with the law if it's part of a camp and not open to the 'general public'.

I pretty much agree with Tisha's point over in the bar, that trying to recreate 'The Bar' in RL may not work out all that well (unless we all just spend the week hanging out in the bar). As much as I'd like to, I'm pretty sure I would spend very few hours in it unless it was right there in my camp as I tend to flit about a lot.
It's going to be alright.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Oh yeah, I threw something together the other night and mailed it to Zoom. He thought I should put it up here. It's pretty crappy really, but he seemed to like it. It's just a tent like he described with a low table and pillows.

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Rockdad wrote:Well I am in on the tax to put me in for Vodka, Beer etc
Sue has a lot of good ideas I like the PlayaDickie/megapixels ones too.

I nominate Sue as "The Bar" coordinator.

Another Idea? Could we park it right next to Camp Antarctica? Maybe we could do some trading/barter?

What is the name going to be?

Tisha's Bar, EPlaya Bar, The Bar, The Forum, Tisha's Eplaya Bar, Default Bar?
OK... from the bottom...

Tish's bar. If not that, then "The bar". But after all, it IS Tish's place!

Can't get real estate next to Arctica - for one, it's center Camp, for two, it's way too busy. We'd be overrun. I agree with Robbi - we need to be near a portapotty bank.

Coordinator - I'd love to, but can't, as I have too many other things on my plate as it is (ESD dispatcher, Senior staff at Apokiliptika). Plus, the bar isn't one person, it's all of us. We could have a central committee to (a) get located as a theme camp, (b) make sure we have what we need to run, (c) keep an eye on the store, (d) make sure we have supplies to operate. Honestly, I can think of a couple people I'd give that honor to this year - Tish (she started it), Fishie (she keeps this place alive), Sput (even tho he's got his hands full, like me >giggles<), LeChat... Mozy..., Robbi... not to mention about a dozen others. We can always rotate it around. But somehow a single person in charge seems to go against the whole operational anarchical feel of the bar.

I think we ought to pick a handfull of people to help guide us... with the idea (a) no one person (unless it's the agreed to coordinator of the year) is in charge, (b) anyone who gets into an ego trip is off the committee automatically, and (c) major decisions above and beyond the basics (structural, lighting, dues, hours, etc.) are by a consensus (majority vote over 24 hours) of all the bar people.

OK... I've weighed in. And I'll throw my hat in for the "committee", if y'all want me there. If not, that's fine... I'll still be there. (and my 2 bottles of makers!)

And I LOVE Sput's idea. (But he gets me giddy, anyway!!)...

bb

Lassen Forge

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:27 pm

sputnik wrote:If you want this to be overrun by every horde imaginable, then put it next to Arctica. If, on the other hand, you'd like it to be a bit more under control, then it needs to be less obvious.

We can avoid problems with the law if it's part of a camp and not open to the 'general public'.

I pretty much agree with Tisha's point over in the bar, that trying to recreate 'The Bar' in RL may not work out all that well (unless we all just spend the week hanging out in the bar). As much as I'd like to, I'm pretty sure I would spend very few hours in it unless it was right there in my camp as I tend to flit about a lot.
Or if our camps were near one another. If we all decided to camp near. say, a certain spoke (3:00 for example) it'd be kewl. but knowing us, we're from ALL over the city. That's why I suggested 6:00 (and maybe c or d). Who has a camp near there that would be willing to adopt us? >grins<

bb

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:29 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote: OK... from the bottom...
This should be filed in 'Things that sound dirty, but aren't". Besides, I always imagined you were a top.
And I LOVE Sput's idea. (But he gets me giddy, anyway!!)...
bb
OK, I'm blushing now.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:33 pm

I was thinking this...

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

That would be great Mozy. Lots of room and easy to setup.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:56 pm

At first glance that tent Mozy posted reminded me of Jiffy Lube.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:02 pm

Must have been that interior shot, huh?

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:18 pm

try this for "art"

Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:35 pm

sputnik, that's a beautiful concept sketch! That is, well, almost perfect! I say "simpler the better". This applies to everything: monatary, labor, and in the slim chance the wind disinigrates it. With that sketch, it incorparates all of these: lickity split, and "The Bar" is in service (minus the bottle to smash on it to cristain it, with a tarp under to catch the MOOP.

Mozy, holy smokes, that's a tent! It looks beautiful, but what would be the cost? It looks alot like an Army Reserves shelter...I wonder what could get a used one at? Love the windows, and if by chance you had one to many and just needed to sleep it off :D

Zule, I PM'd Zoom about the idea to make representations of the regulars who weren't going to make it out this year (make an image on a throw pillow, a small statue, etc.) That way, everyone's at the Bar in spirit and not forgotten...

About the alcohol, I agree with BB Sue, to have all bring a couple bottles and to also have a place to keep it locked up (just remember make enough keys!) Could also have a little stash hidden under a table (like one of the Swiss Rescue dogs with the keg under their chin), just for a quick emergency shot.

Being that this is a spinoff idea, I think Tisha should be able to intervene at anytime if the thought of The Bar may somehow get desecrated or otherwise not fully represented. Remember, this is a physical "tribute" to the original.

As far as a name, I would shoot for "The Bar" (granted, their are a zillion on the Playa, but this "is" ThE Bar. There's also a million white houses in the U.S., but there is only one "White House")

If EspressoDude wanted to host it as an offshot installation piece, I think that would be great! That way, if there was some vandalism, ED could hold them done and make them drink caffeine until they puked or passed out, which ever happend first...)

Lastily, the idea of it being unmanned is crucial. None of us should feel obligated to have to serve, be there, stay for a period of time, etc. Just like on the thread that makes it so enjoyable and usually those little quick bursts of spontanous fun are what make it worth it. Hence, I see the structure more like a buoy or checkpoint (Hey LCN!!! What's that? Meet you at the Bar? Alright! Just let me finish doing this rail of instant coffee...") as opposed to a habitat. We can frequent it often, or not at all. But by chance, you're walking by and see someone sitting there, day or night, come on over and pull up a chair. Chit chat. Ultimatily, have a good human connection. The idea to come together with your neighbor that you've never met before, build a structure together, and in the end, whack down a shot of Vodka---and if that isn't what Humanity is all about, then I guess I don't know what it means. Keep the ideas jamming.
☕ COFFEE CAMP :
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2020 // ...???... :.

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:28 am

I really like Sputnik's idea of the tent/canopy style with low laying tables. each person with a throw pillow. just kinda cozy would be able to but our heads on each others shoulders. wink mozy. as for the liquor locker we can purchase used or new rubbermaid containers that have a hole for a lock on them. a couple of locks can be purchased and by stopping by ace hardware prior to the gates of the playa dust. keys could be purchased for us all. yes we should bring our own liquor and sorts we could share with others. Lorgasm says she will be bringing some wild turkey. i will be bring some vodka and kalahua i amke some white russians. also i will bring some jager, peach schnapps and cranberry for some red headed sluts. we will definitely have plenty of wine. Lorgasm loves louis jadot so we will be stopping by Sam's picking up a couple of cases. Sputnik, you did a fabulous job on that sketch that is exactly what i was thinking. love to all and let's kick some ass on this.
thank god for the powers that look out for us and guide us through this wild ride to find out that there is life afterwards.

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:41 am

let's kick some ass on this.
Zoom, you're so forceful.

blushes
BOOBIES!!!

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:44 am

Lorgasm wrote:
let's kick some ass on this.
Zoom, you're so forceful.

blushes
you know it. Zoom gives that very special wink
thank god for the powers that look out for us and guide us through this wild ride to find out that there is life afterwards.

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:15 am

Inflatable Pub

Wow. We just know we could put this thing to good use somewhere. The Inflatable Pub from Airquee has room for a bar and 30 customers, and can be be erected anywhere in just 10 minutes with 2 small blowers. It's even got a blow-up fireplace. And best of all, if you're not that popular, you can just order 30 blow-up dolls and have them be your crowd.

Mozy

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:21 am

damn what manufactures come up with today. but the blow up dolls are not included

Mozy bonz

Post by Mozy bonz » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:27 am

I have a rental company so I am looking for something I can rent out.
Hey If it get tested out in the desert and makes a cool bar.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:41 am

How big is that last one Mozy?

Return to “Open Discussion”