Burners in SecondLife?

All things outside of Burning Man.
LemonGod

Burners in SecondLife?

Post by LemonGod » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Anybody routinely inworld? Seems like a good place for burners to be inbetween burns. Find me...I'm Veeyawn Spoonhammer...

V
"Oh you can't help that, we're all mad here"

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:12 am

Huh? What? Veeyawn? WTF?

Here and there

Re: Burners in SecondLife?

Post by Here and there » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 am

LemonGod wrote:Anybody routinely inworld?
Not that many, I guess, because three years later, you're only getting your second reply. But, in case you're still around, I sometimes am in-world, where I go by the name "Antonio Zeurra". I'm exploring Devil's Moon right now, when I'm not busy doing something else.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:12 am

I'd like to check out Secondlife.........are there any hints you can offer?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

roamer
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Post by roamer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am

You could check out Burning Life.

The gate opens at noon SLT on 17 Oct, but allow a good few hours to become acclimatised - choose your avatar, pick up some clothes, have a wander, learn how to dance and fly. The basics are quite self explanatory.

I joined Second Life last year because I found out about this virtual Regional and I had a blast. Haven't been back since mind you - not enough time to invest in yet another online distraction but was very tempted for a bit.

The virtual event is eeirily similar to the RL version although I suppose this is to be expected since it's built by Burners. Some of the artwork is amazing, especially as it is not constrained by the laws of physics.
I only arrived on the the last Sunday so didn't have much time to explore but I had time for a boogie in a few clubs, bumped into some RL friends, got chatting to one of the Wires outside the Booby Bar. Then I lost control of my body (browser started acting up) and started floating around the playa, finally waking up underneath a giant kangeroo sculpture. Virtual life really does imitate real life. ;)
Doing my bit to put the play in playa

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:38 pm

thanks, I'll do that......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

SageV
Burning Since: 1999

Post by SageV » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:40 pm

In world I'm Sage Venkman. :)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:44 am

crap........I just signed up and all on second life........

hahaha, I can hardly walk............

lots to learn there.........groan.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

roamer
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Post by roamer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:22 am

I just logged on for a little SL revision. My virtual bones are damn stiff as is to be expected after spending a year sleeping in a palm tree.

Hey, we could all meet up one day! Perhaps there's a mutilated Barbie or virtual Star Shade we can all gather under for drinks. I go by the name Roamer Burner there.

I had planned to go to the real Meet 'n' Greet this year especially as I was camped within Barbie Death Village. Yet another entry on the 'next year to do list'. Must start wearing a watch at BRC and the rest of the year too come to think of it.
Doing my bit to put the play in playa

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:32 am

I tried walking around and, someone talked to me......I couldn't even hardly walk, kept falling off bridges and stuff.........

I just canceled my account.....I'll try again this winter when I have more time.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:06 pm

i consider the default world my secondlife...

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:05 pm

ygmir wrote:I tried walking around and, someone talked to me......I couldn't even hardly walk, kept falling off bridges and stuff.........
Oh. I did dawdle on replying, didn't I? Wish I had spoken up sooner, because the problems you mention, while common among new users, are easily solved. Had I said something sooner, I might have saved you a lot of frustration with a minimum of effort of my part.

When you do return to SL, you might find that it helps to think of what you're doing, as you move your avatar around, as being not so much walking as it is driving. Like your car, your avatar has a tendency to keep going in a straight line and have trouble turning around a corner, so you want to start moving into the turn before you take it.

Look at your keyboard. Look at the enter key, and then go downward, 45 degrees toward the lower right. See the arrow keys? You can use those to move your avatar ahead. The arrow pointing upward moves the little guy forward, the one downward lets him back up, and the right and left keys let him turn to the left or to the right. The way you turn is my holding down both the up (forward) key and the left or right key at the same time, until he is facing in the direction you wish, and then just hold on the forward (up pointing arrow) key to have him continue to move in that direction. Or, if you wish to show off, I suppose you could use a back (downward pointing arrow) key in combination with left or right, and again, get your avatar facing the right way before continuing onward in a straight line.

The left and right arrow keys, together, then, are like the wheel on your car, and the other two (up arrow, down arrow), together, function like the gas pedal. In some locations (not all), your avatar can fly. That may seem a little silly, but it lets you navigate a three dimensional virtual environment a lot more easily. The first four keys function as before. The page up key will, where you're allowed to fly, launch you, and can be used to move your avatar upward. The page down key, as one might expect, allows you to move downward.

If you wish to be a little bit of a rebel and fly where you're not "supposed to", just start flying elsewhere, and teleport in, without landing, first. This might work, though it doesn't seem to at Devil's Moon. A new version of Second Life has come out, so maybe this little hack doesn't work any more? I'm not sure.

To talk, you want to click on the arrow on the box labeled "communicate", which will open a box. One of the options will be "local chat". Click on that, start typing, and your avatar will be "speaking" to anybody else whose avatar is nearby.

I mentioned "teleporting". On the bottom of your screen, toward the lower right hand corner, just to the left of the "inventory" key, you'll find a button marked "map". Click on that, and you'll bring up a little window, with a map of nearby locations, and a form with a few options, one of which allows you to search for other locations, and another which allows you to select from a menu of locations which you've saved as "landmarks". Click on an item that appears in either that menu, or the menu of choices you'll see when you do a search, wait for the name of your selection to appear in the box next to the "search" key, and then click on the "teleport" key, and you'll be there.

I hope that this helps.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:31 pm

ok, thanks......

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:41 pm

By the way, Burning Life is going on, right now, and apparently "big things" get burned tonight, in case anybody wanted to know.

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:59 pm

ygmir wrote:ok, thanks......

You're welcome. I have a feeling that this discussion will be visited, a lot, so I've set up a redirect to it in case anybody would like to invite others to join.

http://is.gd/4Bnys

At this moment, I'm inworld, where I've just gotten done talking with Kara Petrovic, Lyta McKeenan and a few of their friends at Tranqility Waystation in BL (195,90,24) I made sure to mention BiSL.

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 am

Not so long after I took time out of my day to write that brief instructional manual you see above, Ygmir went on to show his appreciation for my efforts by responding to a bug report I had posted in the bug reports section of ePlaya feedback with some adolescent trolling, followed by more of the same - and he brought a friend. I guess some people have no understanding of the concept of gratitude.

If anybody else here is at all active in SL, I would ask that they please not help this individual any further. Yeah, yeah, do as I say and not as I do - I didn't know any better a few days ago, and now I do. Ygmir is clearly what we would call a "griefer" in SL, and I think that there would be general agreement, in-world, that a few of those people go a long way. We won't ever need any more of them, so why help them get in?

As you could see in this thread, on his own he seems fairly helpless, when not being given direction. We all muddled through those early moments when we didn't know how to move our avatars. Ygmir just threw up his hands and gave up, going on to whine about the instructions you see above. He would need a lot of patience and a lot of coaching just to get going, because let's face it - he doesn't seem too bright or very motivated - so all we have to do to be rid of him, in-world, is nothing. Sweet deal, huh?

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:01 am

hmmm 39 posts and he knows who or what a BUG is...

Mirror's do sometimes confuse oneself!

Just because a person goes to SL and doesnt have 3 days to figure out how to MOVE...
ah, never mind................
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

klondike_bar

Post by klondike_bar » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:22 am

I was temporarily lamplighterLuke Luckstone (the lamplighter) for the burning life festival.

The dust was pretty bad on the SL-playa this year, it kept lagging me. :P

Here and there

Post by Here and there » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:13 pm

klondike_bar wrote:The dust was pretty bad on the SL-playa this year, it kept lagging me. :P
So I hear. :)

I missed the virtual burn, I'm afraid. Couldn't be helped - my days and nights are a little turned around, and when the time came to login, my body just said "no". But I should still be able to get some nice screenshots of smouldering virtual rubble.

Return to “Open Discussion”