blah blah.. but what about the ART?!

All things outside of Burning Man.
spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

blah blah.. but what about the ART?!

Post by spectabillis » Wed May 31, 2006 10:09 pm

Yeah, what about it?

Where has all the passion gone? Whats the whole point of this 'community' thing? Do we just want to build and support a big camping party? What happened to pushing our perceptions and expansion of consciousness? Was it all a drug induced lie to ourselves and each other?

Borg2 was last year, and I guess if there is a dramatic loss of art... well that sure says a lot. Right?

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed May 31, 2006 10:11 pm

Jellyfish has the mantis.

Sputnik has the pixels from space.

and... ?

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Wed May 31, 2006 11:03 pm

it's there billis, you know. ya just gotta look in the right places...
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed May 31, 2006 11:12 pm

cowboyangel wrote:it's there billis, you know. ya just gotta look in the right places...
Some of us are looking but we're not seeing much. In years past we were hearing more and more about various projects on the board by now...this year with the notable exceptions already mentioned it's been quiet. I'm wondering when the crickets will start chirping if you know what I mean.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 pm

then show me the money cba.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:49 am

I have Five Minutes After (whee! Theme Art!) and the Home for Wayward Art.

There's Kilbuck's Nano Project

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:50 am

thats three so far..

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:30 am

Who is Art, and is he bringing any beer?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:33 am

Art hangs with Matt and Bob.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Is that Matt the Knife?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

HughMungus

Re: blah blah.. but what about the ART?!

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:21 pm

spectabillis wrote:Yeah, what about it?

Where has all the passion gone? Whats the whole point of this 'community' thing? Do we just want to build and support a big camping party? What happened to pushing our perceptions and expansion of consciousness? Was it all a drug induced lie to ourselves and each other?

Borg2 was last year, and I guess if there is a dramatic loss of art... well that sure says a lot. Right?
For some of us, the art is nothing more than a backdrop for the real "community thing".
It's what you make it.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:07 pm

HughMungus wrote:For some of us, the art is nothing more than a backdrop for the real "community thing".
ITYM overglorified rave party in the desert?

Community vs. cliquey and exclusionary theme camps.....
Yeah, community. If you say so.
It sure ain't what it used to be.

Like I've said before it's getting bad when you enjoy the drive out and back as much or more than the event itself.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:
HughMungus wrote:For some of us, the art is nothing more than a backdrop for the real "community thing".
ITYM overglorified rave party in the desert?
No.
Community vs. cliquey and exclusionary theme camps.....
Yeah, community. If you say so.
It sure ain't what it used to be.
Of course not. It's so much bigger now that if you include everybody and anybody, you lose control over what you want your experience and contribution to be. It's like I told some virgins at our regional last week, "Despite what you might have heard, you are not obligated to like everybody you meet at a Burning Man event."
Like I've said before it's getting bad when you enjoy the drive out and back as much or more than the event itself.
Maybe you need to examine why it is you're being excluded (or, at least, feeling excluded).
It's what you make it.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:49 pm

wish i knew how many others believe this.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:55 pm

spectabillis wrote:
wish i knew how many others believe this.
Let me put it this way: The art brings people together. The people coming together is more beautiful than any piece of art.
It's what you make it.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:56 pm

Maybe you need to examine why it is you're being excluded (or, at least, feeling excluded).
I have...for 4 years now. Some of it is me...and that's what counseling and therapy are for....to address those issues. But some of it is not of my own doing...I could really go into launch mode on this one. but I'll spare everyone my soapbox as it's been used too much lately.
K-IV
~~~~

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:57 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Who is Art, and is he bringing any beer?
He was a window washer and he died from too much beer.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:29 pm

For myself, I don't tend to discuss my art on the eplaya. Frankly this isn't a very safe space for that kind of discussion and rather than face the inevitable "That isn't really art/I don't like it..." b.s. I just pass. My camp has a few projects in the works, but we'll share them with folk on playa rather than discuss/defend them here. :)

Ron

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:43 pm

yeah, what he said :)
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Ron wrote: Frankly this isn't a very safe space for that kind of discussion and rather than face the inevitable "That isn't really art/I don't like it..." b.s.
do you have an example so i know what you are talking about?

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:01 pm

ok, yeah, so not really what he said i guess. i come down more on the wanting it to be a surprise/waiting for it to turn out to be what it is side of the camp...i have talked a lot about things that either never happened, or didn't happed at all that way...which is less fun than just showing up with some cool stuff and making something good happen, without having to compare it to some concept of what it was trying to be, supposed to be or meant to be...
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:04 pm

My project will not be labeled "Art" by the BMOrg if it's not located on the open playa.

I find it hard to discuss my "Art" if it's not "Art."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:17 pm

If you made it, Ivy, it will always be art in my eyes.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:
I have...for 4 years now. Some of it is me...and that's what counseling and therapy are for....to address those issues. But some of it is not of my own doing...I could really go into launch mode on this one. but I'll spare everyone my soapbox as it's been used too much lately.
Well, brother, I have felt your pain. In fact, I was reminded of the feelings of exclusion this past weekend at our regional (funny how that keeps coming up this week). We brought a virgin and he was obviously feeling excluded (despite all our instructions, information, introductions, etc.). It reminded me of my 3rd and 4th Burns when I felt like I wasn't really part of anything. Even though I knew some people, I didn't feel like I was being included by them. This wasn't their fault. They didn't really know me. What changed for me was that I realized that I couldn't just show up at Burning Man (or any Burn event) and expect to be included, that *real* inclusion is something you earn the other 51 weeks of they year by being involved off-playa. (Another trick is to just have your own public theme camp and then you're the one doing the including, hehe.) My point is that you can't expect to feel really included in other people's Burning Man experiences beyond a shallow sort of "Hey how ya doin' have a drink" inlcusion until they know more about you than "Oh hey there's so and so I met last year."

When we do a public theme camp, inclusion is our number one priority. Our goal is to create a public space where anyone who comes in feels welcome, comfortable and included in our world for a while. However, there's a huge difference between that and inclusion between friends and people I know. It's just reality.
It's what you make it.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:20 pm

Ron wrote:For myself, I don't tend to discuss my art on the eplaya. Frankly this isn't a very safe space for that kind of discussion and rather than face the inevitable "That isn't really art/I don't like it..." b.s. I just pass. My camp has a few projects in the works, but we'll share them with folk on playa rather than discuss/defend them here. :)

Ron
You should never discuss your art (the logistical aspects, yes; the creative aspects, no). Feedback on your creative vision before you finish it will change it to be someone else's art, not your own.
It's what you make it.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:09 pm

HughMungus wrote:You should never discuss your art (the logistical aspects, yes; the creative aspects, no). Feedback on your creative vision before you finish it will change it to be someone else's art, not your own.
might want to be a little more careful in saying *should* to a group of people, especially with generalized statements. not everyone may follow that belief, others may be inspired differently.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:11 pm

regynalonglank wrote: i come down more on the wanting it to be a surprise/waiting for it to turn out to be what it is side of the camp...i have talked a lot about things that either never happened, or didn't happed at all that way...which is less fun than just showing up with some cool stuff and making something good happen, without having to compare it to some concept of what it was trying to be, supposed to be or meant to be...
makes sense to me.

joel the ornery
Burning Since: 1998
Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares

Post by joel the ornery » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:32 pm

my project is shelving for my studio.
once i have the shelving, the next step is wiring the electric kiln.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:25 pm

spectabillis wrote:do you have an example so i know what you are talking about?
Of that specific word for word happening? Nope. But the spirit it attempted to illustrate is present all over the eplaya, seems to me.

Ron

cowboyangel

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:40 pm

spectabillis wrote:then show me the money cba.

well, it may seem arcane to some not so to others but the real art is the folks and listening to what they say during moments of serendipity...this is what I've found there...the whole damn thing is art...really.......
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

Return to “Open Discussion”