blah blah.. but what about the ART?!

All things outside of Burning Man.
User avatar
cowboyangel
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:48 pm

confession time and I don't care to go looking for the dusty old confession thread. I put Humungus on my ignore list and I've forgotten why...too many redundant inquiries? But Hugh, I gotta say I'm impressed with your answers on this thread..there's obviously more to you than meets the thread...ah the eye......
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

ThePikey
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:41 pm
Contact:

Post by ThePikey » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm working on something but I don't want to hype it too much. A) I'm kinda modest B) It'll raise the risk of elevating my *own* expectations too much and wind up getting all negative about it C) It's turning out to be even more labor intensive than I'd thought, and I'm not entirely sure it'll be ready by the time I hit the playa.

Mebbe when I'm closer to finishing.

spectabillis
Posts: 3527
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: 2020
Location: black rock city

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Ron wrote:Of that specific word for word happening? Nope. But the spirit it attempted to illustrate is present all over the eplaya, seems to me.
i have seen some get slammed for re-creating things that have been done and overdone - i think thats a valid point. then there is the controversy surrounding people just throwing some blinky's and el-wire over a golf-cart and calling it an art car.

i am not saying i disagree with you, it was an honest request for info.
cowboyangel wrote:well, it may seem arcane to some not so to others but the real art is the folks and listening to what they say during moments of serendipity...this is what I've found there...the whole damn thing is art...really.......
to me thats more of an element of the atmosphere, which is still very important, i just choose not to muddy a concept by including it in my definition of art.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:34 pm

spectabillis wrote:
HughMungus wrote:You should never discuss your art (the logistical aspects, yes; the creative aspects, no). Feedback on your creative vision before you finish it will change it to be someone else's art, not your own.
might want to be a little more careful in saying *should* to a group of people, especially with generalized statements. not everyone may follow that belief, others may be inspired differently.
Sorry. I'll rephrase.

Unless you want your art to become a collaboration of your ideas and the ideas people have about your ideas, you shouldn't talk about your art until it's done.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:37 pm

cowboyangel wrote:
spectabillis wrote:then show me the money cba.

well, it may seem arcane to some not so to others but the real art is the folks and listening to what they say during moments of serendipity...this is what I've found there...the whole damn thing is art...really.......
Yep.
It's what you make it.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:44 pm

cowboyangel wrote:confession time and I don't care to go looking for the dusty old confession thread. I put Humungus on my ignore list and I've forgotten why...too many redundant inquiries? But Hugh, I gotta say I'm impressed with your answers on this thread..there's obviously more to you than meets the thread...ah the eye......
Thanks, brother. None of us will ever agree with everyone about everything.
It's what you make it.

spectabillis
Posts: 3527
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: 2020
Location: black rock city

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:46 pm

no worries because i think i understand. just wanted to make sure no-one else felt like they needed to defend themselves because, as an example, the org tries to push that whole 'interactive art' thing and other people do community efforts like sputniks pixels from space.

User avatar
HughMungus
Posts: 1813
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Post by HughMungus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:37 pm

spectabillis wrote:no worries because i think i understand. just wanted to make sure no-one else felt like they needed to defend themselves because, as an example, the org tries to push that whole 'interactive art' thing and other people do community efforts like sputniks pixels from space.
Oh good point. Sorry.
It's what you make it.

spectabillis
Posts: 3527
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: 2020
Location: black rock city

Post by spectabillis » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:39 pm

nah, its all good, no reason for sorry.

User avatar
Ron
Posts: 620
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:21 pm

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:23 pm

spectabillis wrote:...i have seen some get slammed for re-creating things that have been done and overdone - i think thats a valid point.
Cool. Me too. But when I see slamming where good points could be made, I tend to slow down before making myself a target for the slam.

I suppose my real point is that the degree to which folks' art projects are not discussed on the e-playa might have more to do with the e-playa than the number of art projects, or the passion folk hold for them. Make sense?

Ron

User avatar
cowboyangel
Posts: 6987
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Post by cowboyangel » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:49 pm

makes sense to me.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981

spectabillis
Posts: 3527
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: 2020
Location: black rock city

Post by spectabillis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:57 am

yep, guess thats not a good thing if this place does not have that kind of atmosphere.

spectabillis
Posts: 3527
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: 2020
Location: black rock city

Post by spectabillis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:17 am

Ivy wrote:My project will not be labeled "Art" by the BMOrg if it's not located on the open playa. I find it hard to discuss my "Art" if it's not "Art."
missed your post because it looked so small without an avatar. crikey, i wish the viewing format of this board had different options.

i wonder what would happen if you just set it up on the open playa anyways? wait.. damn, i am just going to get people in trouble. but i dont believe any classification by the org makes or doesnt make 'Art.'

User avatar
Ivy
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:20 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Contact:

Post by Ivy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:06 am

> wonder what would happen if you just set it up on the open playa anyways

The problem in the situation arises from the fact that I don't want to set it up on the open playa. Part of the interaction of the artwork includes, well, me, and other people, and human communication and storytelling. Setting up on the open playa won't allow me to do that. Setting it up at the forefront of where I am camped will. But then it's a "theme camp" and not "art" and will be listed to reflect that.

User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
Posts: 20222
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:23 am
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art
Location: Wild, Wild West
Contact:

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:13 am

spec wrote:
wonder what would happen if you just set it up on the open playa anyways?
Um, as I've understood it, anyone can set up art on the open playa as long as they don't usurp a marked spot and it is lit up at night.

I tend to discuss what I'm doing, knowing there's some expectations from other people gives me the deadline feeling, I get more done in a more timely fashion. Five Minutes After certainly doesn't fit with many interpretations of art, but I love my little project and criticism won't bother me much at all.

spectabillis
Posts: 3527
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:07 pm
Burning Since: 2020
Location: black rock city

Post by spectabillis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:52 pm

its interesting, many people seem very personal to their art.

do many of you feel a certain connection to your art that makes it sensitive to others comments? if someone was to give you praise, would that just make your day? if someone were to criticize your ideas, would it take a lot of passion and motivation away from doing it?

ThePikey
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:41 pm
Contact:

Post by ThePikey » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:02 pm

I know I do, at least at this 1/4 way through stage. I'm uncertain as to how it will ultimately turn out, and therefore particularly anxious about it. There's really only room for one person to work on it, so I can't share the workload/let somebody else deal with it/unburden myself.

If I got praise right now, I'd be like... yeah, but it's nowhere near to being done, this person would praise *anything*.

If I were criticized... I might take that to heart and lose enthusiasm, might not. Depends on what form that criticism took. (If someone derided me for poor execution or said this wasn't very creative, then yes. If someone said something to the effect that it wasn't interactive enough or that it was insufficiently Burny, I'd ignore them because they're idiots.)

I know I lost a bit of interest for a few days after seeing some of the Mantis pics. 'Aw man, my thing ain't gonna be as cool as that, why am I bothering?' Fortunately, this only lasted for a few days. But I've been avoiding the Mantis thread since then too.

User avatar
Ivy
Posts: 979
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:20 pm
Location: Long Beach, CA
Contact:

Post by Ivy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:42 pm

do many of you feel a certain connection to your art that makes it sensitive to others comments? if someone was to give you praise, would that just make your day? if someone were to criticize your ideas, would it take a lot of passion and motivation away from doing it?
I feel like I have a great many things I could say about this, but honestly I'm just too f*cking lazy to try to type it all out.

And maybe utimately that's the reason not that many people post about their projects...

Post Reply

Return to “Open Discussion”