Rant to Adrian!

All things outside of Burning Man.
Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:53 am

AntiM wrote:You know, no one has to call anyone anything. Freedom of speech also involves discretion. Yes, even under our beloved Constitution, there is what is called "protected speech." Like not yelling fire in a theater kinda deal.
This may better explain what you are trying to say:

A. Introduction

The First Amendment’s guarantee of the right of free expression is a fundamental element of our democratic system of government. However, that right of free expression is not absolute. Some kinds of speech, such as obscenity, defamation, and fighting words, are not protected by the First Amendment. In addition, to further significant governmental interests, the government may regulate the time, place, and manner of the exercise of protected speech rights.

An example of a “timeâ€

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:34 am

The basic problem with electronic mediums such as this is that all the nuances of voice and body are lost; therefore what is friendly ribbing or an off the cuff remark by some, cannot be interpreted by others as such.

So generally I save my loving "fuck you very muches" for face to face where they work in context.

Fuck you.

See? No context. You have to make assumptions about what I meant by that. Better to think about phrasing before posting than having to back up and explain yourself I'd think.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:56 am

AntiM wrote: Fuck you.
Gee, Anti M, I didn't know that you cared that much about me. Someday, I hope to fuck you too.

A big Fuck You coming at ya!

You know all my ranting could have stopped if someone had taken that approach sooner. Glad a few people were really smart enough to take the disarming or defusing approach.

AIIZ

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:20 pm

I know why there isn't going to be a Piss Clear this year, do you?

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:I know why there isn't going to be a Piss Clear this year, do you?
Um. Because Adrian's tired of putting all the work into it after 13 years and wants to enjoy his life?

Just guessing. I mean, I only work(ed) for them, how would I know.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Green Wood

Post by Green Wood » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 pm

It would be great if someone could take over the reins of Piss Clear.

I wonder who would be worthy of "Adrians Rant"?
I might be green, but I can burn brite with the help of my playa friends!

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:13 pm

Green Wood wrote:It would be great if someone could take over the reins of Piss Clear.
Or someone could start a brand new paper with a brand new staff and fill it with their own take on BRC.

*sigh*

Am I the only one getting tired of things becoming expected parts of the experience? You know, things like the Temple, Flaming Lotus Girls, Dan Das Mann, Piss Clear, Stiffy Lube, Deep End, La Contessa, Mutaytor, the Flower, the Cupcakes- things that were once new and fresh and cool and are now almost required to be there (except for those on the list that have now moved on by choice or otherwise)

Don't get me wrong, I love most of the things on my list, but do I really want to expect them to be there? What about the whole idea of "No Expectations".

Would I, or should I for that matter, care whether or not they continued, or just get excited that there's room for something different now?

Just letting my mind wander before I go to bed. No thoughts were injured in the creation of this post, and it was most certainly not directed at Green Wood. That was just the trigger for things on my mind.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:46 am

I've always hated the "you can't move on because it will change my experience" attitude that some people have.

What's the point of burning the man every year if there's no change?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:58 pm

having stumbled here late, i can tell by reality's little stretch marks something was born here...but what the fuck was it? Have to say I didn't laugh once.

"Don't call me nigger, Whitey..."

(all sympathy for the Piss Clear gang...I'm sure you're all overpaid and underworked)
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:41 pm

I hate your commercials, but I love your snarky

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:17 am

I think Eric makes some salient points about expectations, but on the other hand at what point does an item become an icon? something that SHOULD be expected?

We all expect the Man to be there, center camp, lamplighters, the miles of poetic nonsense every 10 feet as you come in the gate? I think the expectation that these items will be there year after year with new stuff all over is a realistic belief.

Now, by the nature of the event and most things other than BMORG provided being ALL volunteered and donated to BMAN participants there is no guarantee that they are going to be there. That is why I am always excited to see, amongst other things the Thunderdome, Cupcake People, Lamplighters, Deep End, Mutaytor and on and on. These things are icons, but with some great huge other art inbetween.

Remember the Tower to Nowhere? and Uchronia? these are some of the best examples of one off art that is there once and never to be seen again. Am I bummed out when things like La Contessa fall apart, and then end up getting incinerated? sure, would it be great to see again or if someone picked up the ball and resurrected it - yes! but not likely. The amount of time needed to put together a project like that is a full time living, without any upside financially to support yourself while doing it.

So I understand that when a massive dance camp that can entertain 5000 people, with an awesome stage props, scenery, and a sound system to rival any clubs is on playa I know a lot went into making it appear and am thankful for their time and donation. How about the bars that bring - literally a bar onto playa and expect no payment other than a thanks, and many times dont get that even. Some of these bars bring tens of thousands of dollars in libations for others to consume - truly amazing and great gift.

So do I expect icons to be there - yup. Are they always - nope, but thats the way it is. There is no lack of amazement, dont get me wrong. Its just nice to go back to Mount Rushmore and still see all four faces, instead of Lincoln being in the warehouse under repair.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Ever see the original model of rushmore?
I wish they would finish the piece.
It would be so much more impressive.
They just stopped.

http://www.ibcnu2.com/pics--2002-2003/2 ... ore033.htm

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:35 pm

mdmf007 wrote:I think Eric makes some salient points about expectations, but on the other hand at what point does an item become an icon? something that SHOULD be expected?
This is where we vary- other than the Man, I don't think anything should ever reach the point where it's expected to be there. Not even Center Camp, even though we know that's not going away.

There was a time when the Deep End, Thunderdome, Mutaytor, the Cupcakes and even the Temple simply didn't exist out there, and things that existed before them are now gone (Drive-by shooting range...)

I prefer things to shift & change naturally rather than get locked into a "should be there" mode. Eventually we'd end up with so many required icons layered on each other that there wouldn't be room for anything new to bloom.

It's comfortable having touchstones that you know will be there, but since when is Burning Man about comfort?

edited for clarity

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 pm

I love change, but its also nice to see familiar surroundings.
I have no right to expect the iconic BM things to be there as they are all gifts by volunteers - but still do!

No matter what I find I am still amazed and awe struck so its not like a dissapointment ever.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Dammit Eric I'm a doctor not a sur--wait. I mean, how did you get to be sane. Although, I'm a little uneasy of the idea of the medics not showing up one year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 pm

wow......

all i was gonna rant about was adrians hair 2 years ago....it just was'nt working, you know, but like, i did'nt want to fuck up his burn, so i let it go...
Frida Be You & Me

mdmf007

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:34 pm

Back to the topic at hand - I remember Adrian asking for material preburn, help, so I understand his frustration of not being able to get it.

Piss Clear is a great rag, and I hope it continues.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:17 pm

mdmf007 wrote:Piss Clear is a great rag, and I hope it continues.
Glad you enjoyed it, but it's definitely gone now, which is how this thread appeared to veer off-topic.

The former staff is off working on new ventures for the playa this year, none of which (thank g*d) is a newspaper.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Tue May 06, 2008 7:48 am

Well, anyway, Eric - thanks to you all (we promise to never sell our copies on ebay)
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue May 06, 2008 10:07 am

Rolan Headon wrote:Well, anyway, Eric - thanks to you all (we promise to never sell our copies on ebay)

too late.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “Open Discussion”