Is it art, or is it trash?

All things outside of Burning Man.
helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Is it art, or is it trash?

Post by helitack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:23 pm

You make the call but you must defend with actual examples and why it's art and not trash...
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

Kinetic IV

Re: Is it art, or is it trash?

Post by Kinetic IV » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:40 pm

helitack wrote:You make the call but you must defend with actual examples and why it's art and not trash...
I can't defend it in a way that would satisfy you. I see beauty and art in a simple TIG weld on a bike frame, if that inspires me imagine what seeing a robot on the playa did for me this year at BRC.

As for actual examples Sony and Honda's robots to me come across as pretty damn artistic. It may not be classical art but someone applied many of the same skillsets into determining the plastic colors to use, colors that make the robots seem friendly vs. threatening, and so on. Sheesh, I just feel it's art...I've never had to justify it. I just call it as I see it. Hmmmm. Yep, indefensible. But maybe there's a place for both perspectives here.

helitack

Post by helitack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:19 pm

That's not the kind of defense I had in mind but if that's the best you can do. There must be better examples.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:30 pm

I think I'm missing something here. Sounds like we're talking about robots. Are we talking about a particular one. Is an image not showing up?

As a robot designer myself, there is definitly art involved. I look at them in awe and wonder. "Engineered" art inspires me much more than most conventional art. It's my preference. There are robots that are ugly, both engineered and artistically, to me.

Here are some designs and final work that I've done. I never really took artistic pictures of my robots because at the time I didn't consider them art.

helitack

Post by helitack » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Hmmm, I was not and am not talking about robots> I was talking about art. My art photography has most definitely changed some. I am changing back. After dicking with digital and photoshop for the last three years and neglecting my Hasselblad some, I am selling the digital and reimmerse myself into hand making photographs. The look of the digital print never did match the subtle tones of film. The final prints are lacking something, but I am going back to the darkroom, happily. Gallery show in four months.

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:52 pm

Congrats Heli - let us all know when and where.

This is one of my favorite topics. To me, art is what makes you FEEL something. Art communicates itself on a visceral level, making an emotional connection. Some creates feelings I have never experienced before.

Judging whether or not something is art or trash has more to do with what you as the observer bring to the piece, not the piece of art itself. The impact of your art on my baggage-laden brain may be completely other than what you intended in its creation, but none the less artistic in the depth of meaning it has to me as the observer.

Return to “Open Discussion”