Not as long as cockroaches.
16%
Not as long as cockroaches.
16%
Who cares, let's party
9%
Who cares, let's party
9%
Zero, We only exist in the mind of the Cosmos.
8%
Zero, We only exist in the mind of the Cosmos.
8%
Only God knows. (It's a mystery)
5%
Only God knows. (It's a mystery)
5%

Total votes: 132

Box Burner

How long have men walked the Earth?

Post by Box Burner » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:36 am

So for fun and possible enlightenment I pose the Question;

How long have men walked the Earth?

The Judeo/Christian model seems to suggest that it is about 7000 or so years. Not counting the all the time that Adam and Eve were wondering what to do with each other. And the Darwin theory seems to suggest a much longer time but still does not pin down the actual length of time that Homo-Sapiens have walked the Earth. So what do you think?
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:12 am

Do we count the time spent crawling to the terlet when we have to boot from too much booze and subtract this from the total?
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:48 am

Man=250,000 years

"Enlightened" Man=35,000 years

SED

Post by SED » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:59 am

Does the walking need to be semi erect, or fully erect? Frankly, I'm not much good at either these days. (I've got a phone sex hottie who's keeping me sub-human.)
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 am

If man crossed the land bridge to the Amricas before the last ice age. How long would that be. The modern Aztec was having a swing time by the time it warmed up in the north. China has recorded time a couple of K yr. before Adam and Eve got to messing around. "And they went out and found others of there kind". I was born in south westrn Wisc. As a kid I dove off and played on a strange rock. It was pear shaped with a hole in the small end. This was on the spring head waters of Dell Creek. Later on the rock was "discovered" as a drove stone from before Eric The Red. This was inland 175 mile from the Great Lakes. I read about it in National Geographic. My country cousins that live on the ajoining land never heard of it. AS modern man we don't know shit.

tacocat

Post by tacocat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:33 am

how long did Kane walk the earth? :wink:

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:59 am

Since his wife took the car keys.

SED

Post by SED » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:59 am

Q. How long did Cain hate his brother?

A. As long as he was Abel!
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.

tacocat

Post by tacocat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:07 am

sorry guys I meant Caine from Kung-FU. I'm a tv casualty.

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:48 am

"Men"? Perhaps "humans" would be a better term both in terms of gender equality and specificity.

You would first have to answer where on the hominid family tree you consider our ancestors to be "human."

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:43 pm

Don Muerto wrote:"Men"? Perhaps "humans" would be a better term both in terms of gender equality and specificity.

You would first have to answer where on the hominid family tree you consider our ancestors to be "human."

/
They were noting 250year comets in caves. They were doing large scale drawings. So large that we can only see what it is by flying over. There is pyramid in Africa with a cap stone from South America. The Ilanders were navigating the open oceans with a gord. (It translates to water mellon) It was as good as a sexton. As far as that go's, Captain Cook compared reading from the gord and the sexton for corrections.

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Then by "they" you must be referring to Homo Sapiens Sapiens as all of those things were accomplished in the last 1/4 of their 200k year reign at the top of the Hominid heap.

I would generally account earlier branches of Hominids as "human" as well, though they would probably be dreadful boors at a garden party.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:39 am

What I had in mind was Humans who used tools and had a spoken language. I just think that we have been around longer than any religion claims. Some of the myths that have been handed down to us, and even some of the religeous stories, suggest that we have been here much longer than we think.

There, now I have opened a can of worms. Oh well. :D

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 am

Don Muerto wrote: I would generally account earlier branches of Hominids as "human" as well, though they would probably be dreadful boors at a garden party.
I`ll have you know,...
Hominids have had an un-shakeable boorish sub-species; that have ruined garden parties in every generation since the dawn of civilization.

History of the Fork...

Prehistory

Naturally occurring sharp pieces of stone are observed to be helpful in scraping and cutting foods. When enough sharp flints are not available naturally, people begin to fashion their own cutting edges by chipping stone into the proper shape.
Coastal peoples have access to an abundance of shells. A stick fastened to the shell allowed for a longer reach, or protection from steam, if a liquid were hot. The hollow horns of sheep and goats also function as a vessels for liquid. Thus began the development of the spoon.

Saxon England -- 5th cent. C.E. (common era)

The scramasax, a sharp-pointed knife made of bronze or iron, with a wooden or shell handle, acts as weapon, eating utensil, and all-purpose tool for its owner, who is never without it. Food can be cut with the sharp edge (sometimes using a piece of bread to hold the piece in place) and conveyed to the mouth on the tip of the knife.
The word "spoon" comes from the Anglo-Saxon spon, which means a splinter or chip of wood. Indeed, by this time, spoons are carved from wood, as well as many other materials (among them bone, shell, stone).

Middle Ages

Most people eat with their hands off of slices of four-day old bread known as "trenchers." Only the wealthy use utensils -- and not so much because they are perceived to be necessary, as because they are impressive. Often these are highly decorative spoons made of rare stones and metals, but the utensil that is most commonly depicted at the dinner table is the knife. Among the nobility, male diners bring their personal knives to eat with and are expected to cut food for the women when necessary. In a practice leading up to the introduction of the fork, two knives are sometimes used, one to cut and the other to hold the meat still.

11th century

The Venetian Doge, Domenico Selvo, marries a Greek princess who brings to his court the practice of eating with forks. This is regarded as a scandalous and heretical affectation, and when she dies shortly thereafter it is perceived as a just divine punishment.

1364 to 1380

The reign of Charles V of France. Forks are listed in his inventory of plate, but it is specified that they are only to be used when eating foods that might otherwise stain the fingers.

Catherine de Médicis of Italy brings forks when she marries Henry II of France.

By 1560

According to a French manners book, different customs have evolved in different European countries. For eating soup, Germans are known for using spoons, Italians are known for using forks (presumably the fork assists in eating solid ingredients and the remaining liquid is drunk out of the bowl as it was in the Middle Ages). The Germans and Italians provide a knife for each diner, while the French provide only two or three communal knives for the whole table.

Thomas Coryat, an Englishman, observes forks in use in Italy and resolves to use one too. Back in England he is given the nickname "Furcifer," means "fork bearer" but also "gallows bird." He is widely ridiculed and considered effeminate and affected.

Early 17th century

As forks become more common implements at the table and are used for holding food steady while cutting and for conveying the food to the mouth, it is less necessary for knives to be made with pointed tips. They begin to be made blunt at the end.

Governor Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony possesses what is said to be the first and only fork in colonial America. The fad for using a fork has not yet reached the Americas, but Americans continue to import their knives from Europe. The blunted knives imported from Europe are not so easy to eat with as pointed ones were, and many people begin to use a spoon to steady food while cutting it. They then switch the spoon to the right hand to scoop up the bite of food -- the beginnings of what is known today as the zig-zag method.

King Louis XIV of France bans pointed knives--at the table or as weapons--as a measure to reduce violence, further insuring the predominance of blunted knives at the table.

Early 18th century

The four-tined fork has become the rule in Germany. In England, though, forks still have two tines and are not so helpful for scooping up bites of food. Knives there have begun to be fashioned with wide, almost spoon-shaped (though still flat) tips, the better to use them for conveying food to the mouth.

Mid-18th century

Throughout Europe, the fork has achieved the form which is now most familiar, four curved tines. The curve assists in scooping up food and allows for a clearer view of the food being cut.

Early 19th century

The use of forks has become popular in the United States. They are sometimes called "split spoons."

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:59 am

"Don't make me spork you sir."

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:02 am

...with the exception of the "Trenchers"...there is something terribly sexy
about the Middle Ages...

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:33 pm

It was a lovely time.
But didn't sporks predate forks by some time?

I think car keys are what separate us from lower animals.
I'm not sure it applies in this case though.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:43 pm

Forks and car keys? I think not.

It is obvious that what sets us apart from the other animals is the ability to electronically masturbate in front of each other using only keyboards.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 pm

What sets us apart from the other animals?

Those god damned bars at fucking petting zoos.

Those little furry prick teases...
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:42 pm

I'm thinking that the Yeti fits into the equation in some manner-- possibly a higher form of evolution....

The spork remains the crowning achievement of human civilization. It has all been downhill since.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:34 am

Every year, they push the "beginning" of humanity further back. We're as old as our oldest surviving evidence.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:27 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Every year, they push the "beginning" of humanity further back. We're as old as our oldest surviving evidence.

/
Man did not arrive here from some action in the back of an old ford. Unlike my first born.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:22 pm

As you probably know, they have pushed things back by extrapolating DNA changes. It goes back a long ways. BUT things are so confused, it's impossible to tell. This is evidence of smart people a long time ago. http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_1.htm

It wouldn't stand on it's own but there are a lot of other things.
They have numerous silver artifacts imbeded in coal,,,carboniferous period. 1 museum has a rock with a very clear spark plug in it. There are old walls burried in ancient geologic strata.
There are several books on these anomalies. I can't say that they're all fake or all real. Given things like Nazca, I wouldn't want to throw the whole lot out as being phony.
I've been in the pyramids from the old kingdom. Some claim an age of 10,000 years. Whatever it is, It's sure as hell impressive to walk corridors that were thousands of years old when Moses went on walkabout in the Sinai.
Our solar system was formed from the remains of earlier solar systems.
It would be pretty weak to claim that no other solar systems produced sapient lifeforms.
Man has come about in the last several million years. Who's to say that there wasn't another "window" way before the current one. Our fossil record from 250 million years ago isn't exactly a library.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Box Burner

Post by Box Burner » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:42 am

I think that we humans have been blasted back to the stone age by catastrophies of Biblical proportions time and time again. The story of Noah, (which I believe is based on a legend or myth of an event that was al but forgotten at the time it was written), is evidence of such a disaster. I don't think he was the only one to survive the flood either. He just had better press. :D

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:23 am

The earth has gone through many periods of seas rising and falling. The Mediterranian is only fed by a few rivers. I read that it had dried up 3 times and then reflooded past the Pillars of Hercules. That would definitely start a flood story.
This was surmised from analysing strata.
They've done genetic mutation extrapolation and claim that "Eve" lived 250,000 years ago. I believe that Adam was quite a bit earlier.
I already spend too much time reading so i'm not going to look up the references.
Sci-fi has explored the idea that man is a recurring figure on the earth.
The big problem is that it takes a LONG time to go from gopher to mammal to simian to hominid.
It's not likely that "man" evolved concurrently with the early amphibians.
That means that he would have to just predate the sauropods and then evolve concurrent with the sauropods.
There are a lot of small dinosaur fossils, but I haven't heard of any simians.
An asteroid hit the earth and raised the temperature of the atmosphere to 450 deg [reportedly] The dinosaurs were toast along with most of the rest.
That asteroid left a crater 65 miles in diameter. The Vredefort crater is 300 miles in diameter.
We're in a nice extended quiet period. We have to make the best of it to get off-planet before the normal cycles kick back in.
There are a host of scenarios that could take us out.
http://www.exitmundi.nl/
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am

Energy is never destroyed in nature, it is only converted to other forms of energy, or mass. So it's possible that there is no beginning, only transformations so massive that they obscure the evidence.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:16 am

The earth shin slip is another view. The Wooly Mammoth that was incased in ice. Descovered in Sibberia. He had been flash frozen. There were fresh flowers in his stomack.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:38 pm

The frightening thing about life is that it doesn't seem to require consciousness. The dinosaurs were around a very long time.
I'm sure life abounds everywhere.
Being human or asking the question may be an anomaly though.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

can't sit still

Post by can't sit still » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Some of the very interesting anomalies might be explainable by postulating a "time slip". Time isn't the smooth river that we generally believe in.
The Oregon vortex is a well known spot where time flows slower,,,a hard thing to ponder. It baffled Einstein.
An Accutron watch will lose more than 3 minutes a day in the vortex. http://www.intalek.com/Index/Projects/S ... rtSPOT.htm

The gravity there is all messed up too. Scientists claim that gravity can be "focused" like a lens.
Possibly a super-dense gravitational field could cause objects to get misplaced in the time stream.
Science is starting to show that we know very little about time.
Einstein postulated that E=MC squared. Lately "they" are saying that E=MT squared. T being time.
There are some claims of causing time-slip with a large Caduceus coil.dunno

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:45 am

silly rounders, everyone knows it was only a week or so before god made man for this flat earth.

Return to “Open Discussion”