compost toilet

All things outside of Burning Man.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

compost toilet

Post by unjonharley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:52 am

There is enough crap around here..So someone should be able to tell me about compost toilets??

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 am

Google my young grasshopper

What are composting toilets?
Toilets which use little or no water and treat toilet wastes on-site for reuse as valuable compost.

How do they work?
They work by providing a enclosed environment for the natural process of aerobic decomposition. The same type of environment on forest floors which decomposes wildlife droppings and converts them into valuable nutrients for the vegetation to use.

There are many different designs of composting toilets, but all carry out this basic process of aerobic decomposition. Design variations enhance this process and they include:

• air baffles for distribution of air into the pile
• heating units to keep the compost at the best temperature
• injected air for increased decomposition
• mixing tongs to ensure full decomposition throughout the pile
• the addition of composting worms and macro-organisms

What are the advantages to the user and owner?
Greatly reduced water storage or supply costs, possibility of a rebate for community sewage charges, production of compost, in many systems the ability to compost vegetable peelings and garden trimmings with toilet wastes.

What are the advantages to the community?
If a community were to embrace the total use of composting toilets and appropriate greywater systems, it would have no sewage charges, sewage pipe installations and maintenance costs.

The community would also have greatly reduced water costs.

It could also reduce its rubbish collection charges through recycling most vegetable matter, and would be able to produce valuable compost and worm castings for sale or reuse in community and private gardens.

What are the advantages to the environment?
The widescale use of composting toilets would be very beneficial to the environment. Reduced water use would minimise storage and piping impacts, elimination of sewage would reduce nutrient flows into river and oceans and subsequent rejuvenation of marine systems.

Cities could become fertilizer factories instead of nutrient sinks, reducing environmental problems associated with manufacture of fertilisers.

How long have they been used?
Composting of “humanureâ€
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:58 am

Tanks Tool, I have searched and researched this..Posted to see if other on line had some more or personal input.. My kids want me to move my RV onto there RV pad..I like to let them think they are taking care of me..As long as they don't mess with My Burning Man..

Cabana Springs

Post by Cabana Springs » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:50 am

I lived in my 5th Wheel for five months last summer out on a piece of land I will someday call home.

First off I built a an outhouse. Then - I built a square box out of plywood and put a hinge on the lid. Then cut out a hole in the lid and mounted a plastic toilet seat. Lift the hinged lid and place a five gallon bucket under the hole.

I fill the bucked half full of cedar shavings and have at it. I have another clean full bucket of shaving in the corner for flushing. When you leave a #2 use only single ply paper and then spread enough of the clean chips over your business to cover. Pee and all, it never smells.

When the bucket is 3/4 full I empty the contents onto a compost pile. You would be surprised how unmessy it is. The chips cover all the "stuff." I rotate two or three dirty buckets so that the one under the seat is always dry and odor free to start. Even my Mother-in-law uses it and is okay with it.

We have actually taken this setup to BM the last two years and it works great.
Filing taxes is not truely voluntary!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Cabana Springs wrote:I lived in my 5th Wheel for five months last summer out on a piece of land I will someday call home.

First off I built a an outhouse. Then - I built a square box out of plywood and put a hinge on the lid. Then cut out a hole in the lid and mounted a plastic toilet seat. Lift the hinged lid and place a five gallon bucket under the hole.

I fill the bucked half full of cedar shavings and have at it. I have another clean full bucket of shaving in the corner for flushing. When you leave a #2 use only single ply paper and then spread enough of the clean chips over your business to cover. Pee and all, it never smells.

When the bucket is 3/4 full I empty the contents onto a compost pile. You would be surprised how unmessy it is. The chips cover all the "stuff." I rotate two or three dirty buckets so that the one under the seat is always dry and odor free to start. Even my Mother-in-law uses it and is okay with it.

We have actually taken this setup to BM the last two years and it works great.
\/
I have a lug-a-loo for BM for my bm.. There is a diaper on the table saw..use a lot of cedar wood over the year..So there is enough for camping..My 5th wheel will be on a pad in town..Grey water will be no problem..Just pump the tank into the washing machine drop using a garden hose..I could get along with a thunder mug..But was thinkig a little more teck..

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm

For some reason, I have become fascinated with the idea of owning an incinerating toilet. (Probably the part of me which enjoys reading Make magazine, even the stuff I know I will never get around to trying.)

What I am wondering about is whether or not an incinerating toilet can be run off of batteries, and if the batteries can be recharged with solar and/or wind power in between uses. I *think* out in the desert it should work, but it is little more than a guess on my part.

The only real trouble I have with a composting toilet is living in an apartment, and that the other toilet would only get used whenever I'd go camping.

No real rush on this-- it is for whenever I can marshal the resources to do a bus conversion. (MAYBE if this upcoming job interview works out!)

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Toolmaker

!

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:01 pm

I have no first hand on the "professional" rigs, but I have used a setup similar to what Cabana posted about. On long stints in the woods I filled the hole halfway, filled the hole and moved to another and didn't have an official outhouse. The cedar is the trick.. real nice strong smell and adding a little grey water will help along with the pee. When I lived in PA we had a compost heap out back for our gardening needs but I never thought of shitting in it since I was real young back then though I did occasionally pee on the heap when I snuck out back to smoke a bowl in my teenage years. :)
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:34 am

Like cabana's bucket idea..What I want for the RV is very small use..

I woke up this morning thinking about using the washing machine discharge for a soaker supply for the flower garden..Maybe under ground..It would have to have a lint trap..Hmmmm???

Cabana Springs

Post by Cabana Springs » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:54 am

This is the exact toilet I built and used. I still use it whenever I go out for the weekends.

http://www.jenkinspublishing.com/sawdustoilet.html
Filing taxes is not truely voluntary!

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Cabana seems to have the best alternative.

I dont know if this helps but I'll post it anyway:
http://www.envirolet.com

lovetoburn
Burning Since: 2006

Re: compost toilet

Post by lovetoburn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:01 am

Our camp has two big galvanized wash tubs with padding around the rims, we fill them with cat litter, you shit then you scoop it out with a colander and put in a special trash can. It saves us from stumbling drunk to the portapotties at night and provides a focal point to socialize from. Come on by and have a seat with us some day. We've been doing it for years and it works out just great. I doubt the plug and players have anything like it.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: TECTONIC

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:15 am

So awesome that you created an account so you could resurrect a thread that's been composting for eight years..

Welcome to Eplaya!

Compost toilets rock!

Hopefully everyone here knows that humanure (and some eplaya threads) can contain harmful pathogens and should be composted for at least a full year before use as fertilizer and it is recommended to not use on crops that will be eaten.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:16 am

I'm a fan of composting toilets in defaultia, but on the playa the environment is quite harsh, and plans go awry: the shit can get ripe quick and disturb the neighbors, and folks have the brilliant idea of dumping their kitty litter/shit into the porta-potties which is not ok.
I'm fascinated how the latest JRS recommendation is going to play out ahod we actually have an emergency. Oh USS will be so pissed at us if they start finding cat litter in the toilets.
And I'll refrain from doing the "I Told You So" dance.

Return to “Open Discussion”