Random thoughts...

All things outside of Burning Man.
OregonRed
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Random thoughts...

Post by OregonRed » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:18 pm

We all have those moments during the day when something completely random pops into our heads. I firmly believe that citizens of BRC have them more than most "normal" people.

So, let's hear 'em folks... Your most random, most ridiculous, most "Where the fuck did that come from?" thoughts. I wanna hear 'em.

I confess... Mostly I just wanna know that I'm not the only one...
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:28 pm

What the hell was Kurt Cobain singing on that hidden noise track on Nevermind?
(yeah I'm listening to it now .... maybe I should put this in the "What Are You Listening To Right Now" thread.......)
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:31 pm

If it's shirt-cocking when a man does it, what do you call it when a woman does it? Is it shirt-cunting? Daisy Ducking? I'm curious... I saw a woman doing it last burn. Very disturbing.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

Fex

Post by Fex » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:23 pm

OregonRed wrote:If it's shirt-cocking when a man does it, what do you call it when a woman does it? Is it shirt-cunting? Daisy Ducking? I'm curious... I saw a woman doing it last burn. Very disturbing.
The pic that weirded me was the one of the woman doing that posing for the picture with her father.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. - GC

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:36 pm

The woman leading the shirt-cocking rally was pretty good looking, even if the strap-on was kind of... weird? distracting? uhm?

(well, that is what popped into my head while reading this thread!)

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:48 pm

I missed the shirt-cocking rally on the playa. The woman I saw was standing in line for the JOTS Saturday morning around 7am (sans strap-on)... I just find the practice disturbing in general. If you want to display your naughty bits, go naked or find a creative way to display said bits. 'Nuff said about that.

Spring is coming to Oregon! Crocus are rearing their heads in my yard... Temps are rising... Creative juices flowing... Birds are singing... Makes me think of magpies... Magpies make me think of BRC. Maybe this is the year I'll get my shit together and make a magpie costume for the playa and go chase the shiney shit....

Or is it shiny shit? It doesn't look right either way...

BAS

Post by BAS » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:07 pm

I think it is "shiny". Anyway, I think I will leave the shit in the JOTS, shiny or not! :P

Now, where in the heck did that pimple on my ear come from?!? :?

B.
--Russell Kirsch

AKrena

Post by AKrena » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:44 pm

This is a paper i wrote on a whime for a late writting assigmet for my college writting class.
The Bottom-less Plague
A man walks down a dusty lane in the middle of a desert. He is in his late thirties and adorned in a wide brimmed hat the keep the burning sun from his eyes and balding head. A camel pack is worn over a colorful tunic. Skin- from his hairy navel down to his dust covered Teva sandels. Welcome to my nightmare. You have just witnessed a Shirt-Cocker.
One of fashions’ worst possible combinations, or lack their of is the Shirt-cock. Found mostly in the world of extreme festivals and possibly foreign nude beaches, the act of shirt cocking should be outlawed. There is nothing pleasing about the appearance of an individual dressed from the navel up, whilst one’s beloved parts are left dangling in the warm breeze.
Late last summer, I visited for the first time, a magnificent city in the Nevada Black Rock Desert. The twenty-year anniversary of the Burning Man festival was happening and the happy citizens of Black Rock City were out exploring the many art and music projects of the community. On the playa (the alkali lake bed which makes the desert) the dress code is anything goes. For the most part, I am all in favor of that. Men in tutus and util-a-kilts, and women in platform fuzzy boots with nothing else on but green body paint and goggles. All fashion statements are fabulous in Black Rock City- all except for Shirt-cocking.
Donald Ducking is another name for it. The crime of shirts and no bottom is something that deserves a ticket. A fee should be required to start a “Clothe The Pants-lessâ€
"We're all mad here."

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:11 am

AKrena wrote: Donald Ducking is another name for it.

Interestingly enough, Donald pulls this look off extremely well. You'd never see Mickey without pants. Why? Because Mickey sucks. Go Donald Duck!!
What were we talking about again?

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:37 am

Let`s try to be honest here.

Complaining about an article of clothing leads to nowhere....

Those poor shirts. Like they had a choice in the matter?

Why don`t you just come right out and say it?

You will be empowered if you just admit it`s the COCK
and not the SHIRT that bothers you so much.

I know it makes me a little uneasy....

...Shirt or no Shirt

...especially when it starts pointing around randomly at passers by! :shock:

:shudder:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:39 am

Ear Fungus.

Oh, and if I gathered together a whole bunch of Fast Track devices and put them in a car and drove across the bridge, whould it show up as 57 cars going through the booth at once? Would the next 56 cars get to go through free?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

The CO
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:16 pm

One of the cartoon channels has "no-undies Mondays", featuring cartoon characters that don't wear pants. Hmmm...
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:40 pm

Why do I keep smelling sandalwood in the house?

Dork

Post by Dork » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:50 pm

According to the 10 commandments, it's fine to have slaves as long as you don't make them work on Sunday and your neighbors don't covet them. That, and my great grandkids are screwed. Unless the 100 generations thing my grandparents initiated takes precedence. That part was a little unclear.

Look it up.

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:19 pm

EvilDustBooger wrote:Let`s try to be honest here.

Complaining about an article of clothing leads to nowhere....

Those poor shirts. Like they had a choice in the matter?

Why don`t you just come right out and say it?

I know it makes me a little uneasy....

...Shirt or no Shirt

...especially when it starts pointing around randomly at passers by!
That's right, blame it on the cock. I'm pointing at you!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Mi caca es su caca.

BAS

Post by BAS » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:47 pm

What would it be like if everyone in the world over 16 years of age were suddenly regressed to 8 years of age? :?

Why did the concept of hauling 50 pound bags of salt all day not worrying me until the recruiter pointed out that the end of the day total was one ton? :shock:

Is 43 too old to become a member of a "boy band"? :P

Who at Viacomm has to die for deciding to crack down on You Tube?!? :evil:

It'd be really cool if that Rudy Rucker story I read back in the 1980s, "Master of Space and Time" (or was it "Master of Time and Space") came true, and everyone in the world were granted wishes... then I could have my own series of parallel universes and stuff like that. :D

B.
--Russell Kirsch

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:31 pm

EvilDustBooger wrote:
Oddly enough, it is the shirt that bugs me. IMHO it just looks ridiculous.

moving on...

My dog lets me know that I am loved unconditionaly. My cats remind me that I'm not that important in the grand scheme of things...

Cabana Springs

Post by Cabana Springs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Why do some people treat their pets better than their children?
Filing taxes is not truely voluntary!

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:16 pm

You would think, with this level of boredom, I would be at least somewhat motivated to start my research paper. But no.

The funny thing is, I'm not doing anything particularly productive in the place of my essay (usually the case).

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:45 pm

...I`m wondering who someone with "trust Issues" would go to
for genital piercings.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:45 pm

do sharks have oral sex?

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:09 pm

I remember an old Doctor Who episode, one with Tom Baker, in which a scientist had created a machine which could accelerate or reverse time. Who or whatever was in its area of effect would effectively be trapped within the field until their age was advanced enough that they died or reversed to before their birth.

The thing is, their is no real reason anyone would be trapped inside the field, since that isn't the way it works in real life. Gravity slows the passage of time, so we are ALL in a similar area of effect. Time on the Moon passes (marginally) quicker than it does here on Earth, yet our astronauts had (relatively) little trouble going to the Moon and back.

Now in a black hole, where time is slowed to nearly zero, a person would be stuck inside an area of effect, but it is gravity which is holding the person in I would think, not time.

Would anti-gravity make time pass faster? Maybe there is an upper limit on how fast time can pass...? There really isn't such as thing as zero gravity, since everywhere in the universe has gravity influencing it at least slightly, so maybe we don't know what the upper limit on how fast time can pass is. How fast was it passing before the Big Bang?

Can time be separated from gravity? Are they independent of each other? How could we find out? Can centrifugal force somehow be used to simulate gravity so we can explore time effects? Or canceling out gravity? HOW would we use it to cancel out gravity, since the machine would be rotating, and our nearest gravity generator, the Earth, would be at more or less right angles to the rotating part of the machine. SOMEONE must have already played with this idea!

Anyway, that was what was going through my mind earlier today while I was in the bathroom, getting ready to head into Madison, WI.

B.
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:12 pm

That didn't used to grow hair.

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:26 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the whole Firefly thing, but I must say I'm really enjoying it. I also find it amusing how they've substituted false words for expletives you can't say on network TV. Like "Gorramn" and "Ruttin'." The intent is the same, and they emphasize them as though they were actually the expletives, the premise being that the words we use have evolved into those words, and yet it's considered kid-friendly language.

Also amusing: when The Boondocks airs on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, all the "shits" and "fucks" are bleeped, but "nigger" is not. Which word is more offensive? Their Standards and Practices department is retarded. On the other hand, the context of the anglo-saxon words can largely be divined from the emphasis of the words around them, whereas the inflection of the latter word can change considerably. Just "nigger" is often used as a term of endearment on the show, whereas when a character wants to insult another with it, it's pronounced "Nyucka." Also, I find that the show is funnier edited. Maybe I'm just retarded, but "The [BLEEP] y'all lookin' at?" is funnier to me than "The fuck y'all lookin' at?"
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:52 pm

Actually, on Firefly, the expletives are, at least in theory, in Chinese. The idea is that, in the future, Western and Eastern culture are to intertwined that everyone know words from the other language. Apparently some of the translations are supposed to be hilarious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damn! For a moment there it felt like I was back in the basement, in the early 1980s, writing away earnestly on one of the old Commodore computers, almost assuredly the Pet. It was a weird, surreal moment, one I kind of wished was true....

Weird the things I find when going through the stuff I have carried around for years, when I am under orders to get rid of most of it. Stories started long ago, never finished. Stuff from an early high school dream of being an architect, a dream abandoned, perhaps wrongly. Stuff to remind me of people whose names I have long forgotten, whose fates I can only wonder at. Stuff I haven't seen, nor even thought about in years, ten? twenty years ago? More? Damn.

What never was nor will ever be-- is it more vast than what was, what is, and what will be?

B.
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Perhaps the most haunting thing from my past: "You do what you need to do to lay your ghosts to rest."

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:58 pm

...and one which has been popping up a lot lately:

Is that where I put it?/Oh great, so now I find it!\

Way too many "its" found much too long after needed! :oops: :P

B.
--Russell Kirsch

OregonRed

Post by OregonRed » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:12 pm

BAS wrote: What never was nor will ever be-- is it more vast than what was, what is, and what will be?
No. Absolutely not! More vast than what was and what is, perhaps. But what will be has infinite possibilities. Just because we think things are gonna be a certain way, doesn't mean they will. In fact they generally aren't. Just the universe's way of keeping us on our toes...

BAS

Post by BAS » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:19 pm

OregonRed wrote:
BAS wrote: What never was nor will ever be-- is it more vast than what was, what is, and what will be?
No. Absolutely not! More vast than what was and what is, perhaps. But what will be has infinite possibilities. Just because we think things are gonna be a certain way, doesn't mean they will. In fact they generally aren't. Just the universe's way of keeping us on our toes...
Could be. That came from a long ago speculative discussion between me and a roommate of mine. It somehow grew out a discussion of H.P. Lovecraft. The main topic was which would be more powerful: A god of everything which was possible or a god of everything which wasn't possible. Ultimately, it comes down to which is greater, the number of things which are not possible or the number which are? (And, how in the H--- do you know how many things are NOT possible?! Or even how many ARE?!)

It was one of the more interesting conversations. Too bad we weren't roommates longer. (And it might be one of the reasons I kept coming back to that apartment in dreams I have. Dreams are weird that way. Could be that was because it was one of the more creative, hopeful periods of my life...? :? )

Aw, geeze! I should get to bed! :shock:

B.
--Russell Kirsch

Return to “Open Discussion”